The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

anyone know how to get this KOLOR film effect? Im guessing its all post production in PS?
just spit balling but looks like Polaroid effects can do a search around the net for Polaroid photoshop actions but mostly cross processing if you want to expereiment in your program of choice

I Have Gotta Say this Thread has really inspired me to finally make a post on this site so heres to the first 
laugh.gif

So I was lucky enough to receive the gift of a Nikon D5100, 18-55 lens, 55-300mm lens and a few other items. Never have really been into photography more so due to lack of time, but am highly intrigued about the field. Where does one start to delve? Do I read up on the camera, take a class? Just go out and start shooting? Where did you all began?

Start off slow. Read the manual about Aperture and then do some test shots playing around with the aperture. Do the same with Shutter speed and ISO. Practice with moving subjects in your house like kids, pets, or other siblings. Try shooting in different lighting conditions too.. Have fun with it. At least thats what I did..

Nice shots up there yallayalla and bjamez20. Fong, looks like that guy mostly shoots durring dawn or dusk..

^^^^Yeah. It's like he's a storm chaser of sorts and makes an effort to go after that perfect moment. It kind of has me thinking about photography way different but easier said then done.

I actually tried last night to shoot during a nice hour after work at Sutro Bath. What sucks is I didn't expect the weather to be so overcast since the day before it was so nice. Got the shots below but had to wait till the whole damn place was dark so the pictures would capture more light and color. It's very "eh" and I wish I had a wider lens. Had to break the panoramic into two just so the photo wouldn't be so damn skinny.

Going to try and shoot some more photos during this twilight hour today. Will post pics later.

Last edited:
I have to give this dude a plug just cause he is super good. I just found this guy on Flickr and he is just amazing. Does mostly landscapes and lives in SF (Rolo.....right up your alley man. Seems like she shot with you during New Years). I don't even know what he shoots with yet but everything is so damn clear. He must do a lot of pic stiching but the key to his photos is all in the time of day he shoots it at.

If you guys have a Flickr, make sure to add him: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidyuweb/

8333273421_8056355395_b.jpg

8275114083_92a338c130_b.jpg

8264698954_eb0c8c472d_b.jpg

8341011968_178691339b_b.jpg

8223338806_6c010edebd_b.jpg

8229299600_f2d79367f2_b.jpg

8338307817_e2d3c8851f_b.jpg

8232871655_d2179b98fb_b.jpg

8205101870_ca767e9e72_b.jpg

8215000349_748a2df172_b.jpg

8150659853_fc3ce61be0_b.jpg

8148977435_ab72526007_b.jpg

8152633300_cf2faa58a7_b.jpg

8010141566_7a70284eec_b.jpg

8265123300_ef4d72756c_b.jpg
these images are stunning!

Question, what do you guys do with the images you don't use? Do you save them or delete them? I can only imagine the HD space it takes to keep every photo taken.

Question, what do you guys do with the images you don't use? Do you save them or delete them? I can only imagine the HD space it takes to keep every photo taken.

Photos are really not that big at all. I have photos that go way back to 2004 with a 3mp camera I had and from then to now, I think I only have taken up 200-250 GBs. I have 1.5TB worth of HD movies and I filled up my external in only a year. It would literally take me years to fill up a TB.

Most of my photos I go through on my camera and delete the crap stuff. Then I dump of it on iPhoto on my Mac. I've been meaning to delete stuff on iPhoto as well cause I know there are some blurry stuff that I have. I would recommend to back up your photos on a seperate harddrive or a DVD or BluRay if you can. My Mac was acting up the other day and I almost couldn't access my photos. Pretty scary to lose all of that.

Photos are really not that big at all. I have photos that go way back to 2004 with a 3mp camera I had and from then to now, I think I only have taken up 200-250 GBs. I have 1.5TB worth of HD movies and I filled up my external in only a year. It would literally take me years to fill up a TB.

Most of my photos I go through on my camera and delete the crap stuff. Then I dump of it on iPhoto on my Mac. I've been meaning to delete stuff on iPhoto as well cause I know there are some blurry stuff that I have. I would recommend to back up your photos on a seperate harddrive or a DVD or BluRay if you can. My Mac was acting up the other day and I almost couldn't access my photos. Pretty scary to lose all of that.

Do you run Time Machine on your Mac? I've been slacking on this on doing it regularly, but I'm trying to do it at least once a month now.

I was wondering the same thing I have a 500GB external and I've only used a 1/4, but I want to back up my iPhoto. What's your method?

I haven't used Time Machine myself but I plan on getting a 3Tb and backing up everything on my computer. If you have the time and effort, I would start burning some of your photos or at leas the old ones that you don't look at. It's good to have a hard copy cause harddrives do crap out all the time and those DVDs can save your life.

I recently got an external HD...

What I do now is leave all of my edited pictures and folders with new pictures on

my desktop and occasionally save them onto the external HD...

... after that I move everything from my desktop into the correct folders leaving me with a clean desktop

to start over again and keep track of what I've saved onto the external HD and what I haven't.

I'm going to go pick up a roll of film at Walgreens... don't know what pictures are on it since it has

the chance of being about a year or older. Hopefully it has something good.

Just got back from picking up the roll...

Walgreens is ******g GARBAGE kid!

Damn.

Part of the problem is my camera though.

It's impossible to get a crisp shot when shooting with a large aperture.

And to think that I have like 10 rolls left to develop.
mean.gif

This is the only decent one.

It's only decent because I converted it to black and white.

Last edited:
Its not impossible. I never shoot with my aperture wide open without autofocus. Leaves to much up to chance. I take pictures of new born babies so those perfect moments can pass by very fast. I took this picture with my lens wide open.

Baby by Wills Lost Camera, on Flickr

I cleaned my shoe strings today. Thought it looked interesting, so I decided to take a pic of it. I think it would have came out much better if I had a macro lens |I Taking pictures of normal things makes this 365 project mad easy!

Clean Strings by Wills Lost Camera, on Flickr

Last edited:
Its not impossible. I never shoot with my aperture wide open without autofocus. Leaves to much up to chance. I take pictures of new born babies so those perfect moments can pass by very fast. I took this picture with my lens wide open.

Baby by Wills Lost Camera, on Flickr

I cleaned my shoe strings today. Thought it looked interesting, so I decided to take a pic of it. I think it would have came out much better if I had a macro lens
tired.gif
Taking pictures of normal things makes this 365 project mad easy!

Clean Strings by Wills Lost Camera, on Flickr
It's a film camera. Auto focus is not an option. I'm sure the optics of the lens aren't all that great either,

so when it's necessary to shoot with a large aperture, added the chance that the subject might be moving,

getting sharp focus becomes much more difficult.

"Taking pictures of normal things makes this 365 project mad easy!"

That's not good thing at all. Also, I think your watermark is bit much.

^^^^Yeah. It's like he's a storm chaser of sorts and makes an effort to go after that perfect moment. It kind of has me thinking about photography way different but easier said then done.

I actually tried last night to shoot during a nice hour after work at Sutro Bath. What sucks is I didn't expect the weather to be so overcast since the day before it was so nice. Got the shots below but had to wait till the whole damn place was dark so the pictures would capture more light and color. It's very "eh" and I wish I had a wider lens. Had to break the panoramic into two just so the photo wouldn't be so damn skinny.

Going to try and shoot some more photos during this twilight hour today. Will post pics later.

really really good shots bro :pimp:

will def try this sometime

I have to give this dude a plug just cause he is super good. I just found this guy on Flickr and he is just amazing. Does mostly landscapes and lives in SF (Rolo.....right up your alley man. Seems like she shot with you during New Years). I don't even know what he shoots with yet but everything is so damn clear. He must do a lot of pic stiching but the key to his photos is all in the time of day he shoots it at.

If you guys have a Flickr, make sure to add him: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidyuweb/

8333273421_8056355395_b.jpg
8275114083_92a338c130_b.jpg
8264698954_eb0c8c472d_b.jpg
8341011968_178691339b_b.jpg
8223338806_6c010edebd_b.jpg
8229299600_f2d79367f2_b.jpg
8338307817_e2d3c8851f_b.jpg
8232871655_d2179b98fb_b.jpg
8205101870_ca767e9e72_b.jpg
8215000349_748a2df172_b.jpg
8150659853_fc3ce61be0_b.jpg
8148977435_ab72526007_b.jpg
8152633300_cf2faa58a7_b.jpg
8010141566_7a70284eec_b.jpg
8265123300_ef4d72756c_b.jpg

Damn it! Looking at these pictures REALLY have me regretting selling the 5d mk II I lucked out on. :frown: I want to take cool pics like this

:wow: SImply amazing pictures.

Damn it! Looking at these pictures REALLY have me regretting selling the 5d mk II I lucked out on.
frown.gif
I want to take cool pics like this

eek.gif
SImply amazing pictures.
Being able to take cool pics doesn't depend on the camera.

All in the eye.

But yes, having a camera such as a Mark II helps.
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom