The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Rented a Sigma 35mm f/1.4 for a couple of weeks and it's pretty amazing. I've been using my Nikon D600 more than my Sony A7 since I've had this lens. Here are a couple of shots from yesterday:

14638049849_18b9b2306a_c.jpg

14824339922_ea694052e1_c.jpg

went to los angeles today.

There's always something nice in front of the Wilshire hotel. :smokin

Got one of my photo's published in a startup magazine. :smokin It's not much but I'm happy, and it's a start. Will be in the next issue as well, and hopefully this relationship will continue to grow in the future.

From the wedding over the weekend. It was my first time and I was the secondary shooter, didn't really know what to look for and the venue was suuuper tiny but here's what I got. All of these are unedited.

My friend took this shot, he was the primary shooter, obviously much better then the stuff I took :lol:

Just sold my Sigma 50 1.4 and 20 1.8.. looking for some L glass. 135, 35 or 24. Haven't seen any good deals, because I don't buy retail lol.

My local camera store had the Sigma 35 Art for $589 used, great condition. I couldn't unload equipment fast enough.

^ Check the B&H used section man. I had been able to scoop up a 135L, 35L and 50L from them for less than retail.

Some lenses don't show up all the time like the 50L, but they do pop up.

Last edited:
I got $$ limits due to how low I've seen all those lenses go for on; CL, ebay, POTN and other message boards not to mention Canon refurb. Pretty much if it's not close to Canon's refurb price, I'm not buying it.

Hello Everyone,

New to the whole DSLR/Photo scence besides shooting mobile.

Just got this bundle in the mail yesterday and I cant stop messing around with it. A lot of fun.

T3i Body
Deluxe Bag
.18-.55MM Kit Lens
.75mm - .300mm Lens
And all the stuff that comes within the packaging for all.

Not bad for 649 IMO, The bag and the lens for 100 more than a normal t3i kit felt more than enough justification for the price.

Anyways, planning on buying some off brand batteries and a 50mm Prime lens. Nifty 50.

Anyone use the
Amazon product ASIN B006Y0YZZ6
???

It has really good reviews and the price is hard to beat.

Hello Everyone,

New to the whole DSLR/Photo scence besides shooting mobile.

Just got this bundle in the mail yesterday and I cant stop messing around with it. A lot of fun.

T3i Body
Deluxe Bag
.18-.55MM Kit Lens
.75mm - .300mm Lens
And all the stuff that comes within the packaging for all.

Anyways, planning on buying some off brand batteries and a 50mm Prime lens. Nifty 50.

Anyone use the
Amazon product ASIN B006Y0YZZ6
???

It has really good reviews and the price is hard to beat.
I get generic batteries all the time and they work just fine, go ahead and buy it.

50mm 1.8 is great bang for its buck. I have the 50mm 1.4 and love it so much more. Kit lens and even the 75-300mm I would sell and look for a better lens.

When I first started, I used the 28-135 and I felt that was really versatile.

new to this editing thing... any editing programs that I practise with out there that are free??

50mm 1.8 is great bang for its buck. I have the 50mm 1.4 and love it so much more. Kit lens and even the 75-300mm I would sell and look for a better lens.

When I first started, I used the 28-135 and I felt that was really versatile.

Thanks for the advice man!

Last edited:
new to this editing thing... any editing programs that I practise with out there that are free??

What level of editing are you looking to get into? you can get a 30 trial of Lightroom from Adobe. You can also get a membership for Adobe Creative Cloud for $10 a month that includes Lightroom and Photoshop.

You can get anything for free.

Do you guys use bags? What do you guys prefer? Backpacks? Slings? Or the duffel looking ones?

I have a 200DG bag, but don't really like using it. It's kinda big and a little uncomfortable wearing it my shoulder.

I've been putting my gear into neoprene bags and putting them in my backpack recently.

Last edited:
What level of editing are you looking to get into? you can get a 30 trial of Lightroom from Adobe. You can also get a membership for Adobe Creative Cloud for $10 a month that includes Lightroom and Photoshop.
novice right now lol.

Anyone have some tips for shooting in bright daylight? I know it's not the best conditions because the sun can be really harsh, but what are some things that can help?

Reflectors, etc.?

i'm looking to buy my first serious camera, can anyone suggest a mirrorless camera.. i was looking at the Sony a6000. 

-should i go for something else.. i'm looking to not spend much.. 6-700 dollar range.. and i'd like to get something new and not used.. something compact but with an interchangeable  lens, i'm open to any other suggestions..  

Z-sony-a6000-onHand.JPG

Anyone have some tips for shooting in bright daylight? I know it's not the best conditions because the sun can be really harsh, but what are some things that can help?
Reflectors, etc.?

The trick to shooting in harsh sunlight is to try to find shade or a way to diffuse the light. If that doesnt work then you need to fill shadows by either bouncing light back on the subject or using flash. I prefer the flash route because I like to lower the background exposure and shoot at lower apertures by using an ND filter and exposing my subject with my flash.

You can get anything for free.

Do you guys use bags? What do you guys prefer? Backpacks? Slings? Or the duffel looking ones?

I have a 200DG bag, but don't really like using it. It's kinda big and a little uncomfortable wearing it my shoulder.

I've been putting my gear into neoprene bags and putting them in my backpack recently.
although I just got a sling bag in the bundle. I'm looking to purchase a backpack here real soon. Always been a backpack/string bag user. And although I'm sure the sling bag will be useful. For daily usage, i'm going for a backpack. It's more comfortable too.

Last edited:
i'm looking to buy my first serious camera, can anyone suggest a mirrorless camera.. i was looking at the Sony a6000. 

-should i go for something else.. i'm looking to not spend much.. 6-700 dollar range.. and i'd like to get something new and not used.. something compact but with an interchangeable  lens, i'm open to any other suggestions..  

Z-sony-a6000-onHand.JPG

I have the a6000. I decided to get the 50mm instead of the kit lens. The pics I posted on the previous page were with the camera. Ended up paying $1016 in total. I love it. Auto focus is really fast. Only thing I don't like is the battery, wish it lasted longer but it's not terrible.

Shot a Southern California Sunrise over Orange County Newport Beach.

sweet! gopro? or do you have a waterproof housing for a dslr?

http://niketalk.com/content/type/61/id/1116735/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/quote]
Do you guys use bags? What do you guys prefer? Backpacks? Slings? Or the duffel looking ones?.

regular backpack, most of the ones i rock with have a ton of little pockets that work well for the majority of lenses i have...

Reflectors, etc.?

stopping down your aperture, filters (preferably an neutral density filter), increasing shutter speed...some photographers use apps that indicate how the light falls/what direction the light is coming from for any given location?

Z-sony-a6000-onHand.JPG

i have an nex 6, the predecessor to the a6000, and at least one person in here has the a6000 that would probably rate it pretty well, it is an AWESOME camera on the specs at the pricepoint & this being your 1st serious camera (and if you don't really have the experience of shooting with a traditional dslr) it will be relatively easy to learn to use, because it is SUPER customizable (kind of a double edged sword with this though)...but it does come with some caveats, the sony's, to me anyways, are a bit more computer than camera and that seems to be a love/hate thing with people...it is also VERY fiddly on the controls, very easy to change a setting inadvertently, lastly the lens selection, though there are more options now, is still way behind canon, nikon, and micro 4/3rds cameras (though you can, through cheap adapters, put ANY lens on the camera but you lose the ability to autofocus and metadata from the lens), which can be frustrating when you want to try different options...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom