The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Hey guys, great stuff as usual. Do any of yall recommend any free web seminars or tutorials outside of youtube (or within, doesn't really matter) that you've found really useful and worth your time? I've just been watching videos from the YouTube BH Photography class playlist whenever I have some free time. I've decided to save up and bypass any lens purchases in an effort to fund a full frame camera by August. I really enjoy this and just want to keep developing my understanding.

Hey guys, great stuff as usual. Do any of yall recommend any free web seminars or tutorials outside of youtube (or within, doesn't really matter) that you've found really useful and worth your time?

What exactly are you interested in learning? If you already have the basics down I feel that you'll have an easier time teaching yourself if you focus on specific aspects that you're interested in. There's a wide scope of topics within photography. I can't personally recommend any sources, but the way I've been learning is just by seeing shots that I really like and trying to imagine how the photographer got that shot. Once I figure out what techniques were used I'll Youtube and Google the heck out of the topic and try to replicate the image in my own way.

Just found out I passed all my classes this semester. Been celebrating by jumping around my room and editing photos lol. Here are some from my day trip to Mexico

I got to learn some damn new poses or something. Anyways, I had a BBQ with my family and around the way, there was an abandon warehouse there. Really cool spot and great for all those IGers that love smoke bombs and what not. I need to go back there at night.

fort-knox-1a.png
fort-knox-2a.png
fort-knox-3a.png
fort-knox-4a.png

Last edited:
What exactly are you interested in learning? If you already have the basics down I feel that you'll have an easier time teaching yourself if you focus on specific aspects that you're interested in. There's a wide scope of topics within photography. I can't personally recommend any sources, but the way I've been learning is just by seeing shots that I really like and trying to imagine how the photographer got that shot. Once I figure out what techniques were used I'll Youtube and Google the heck out of the topic and try to replicate the image in my own way.

thanks man. that was helpful. you're right though, it would probably be helpful to prioritize a particular genre and invest some time specifically for that style. i have a long holiday coming up, and just really wanted to learn and practice as much as i can during those several weeks when i'm not so busy with work and professional obligations.

tokes99 tokes99 great shots do you visit singapore often? im hoping to use my summer holiday to practice shooting around the island.

Last edited:
tokes99 tokes99 great shots do you visit singapore often? im hoping to use my summer holiday to practice shooting around the island.

a few more from singapore:

1st time being there, didn't really go with an agenda for what to do...very cool (never been that close to the equator before, man it was hot/humid 24/7!) place, it has a bit of everything and is pretty close to other interesting places; definitely will try to go back; it is a great place to hang out and experience!!

late shift by a0, on Flickr

@ the changi museum by a0, on Flickr

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

What's going on, I've been shooting with my DSLR on manual and I came across shooting raw images. Which editing program should I use for these images?

What's going on, I've been shooting with my DSLR on manual and I came across shooting raw images. Which editing program should I use for these images?

usually your camera will have a proprietary program for converting its raw format on a cd or downloadable from their website, though most people use adobe lightroom (photoshop uses the same raw converter as lightroom so it can edit raw files too). there are also other programs like capture one & dxomark that are a bit more involved...

Good looking out @tokes99 I grabbed some of the Canon programs on the disk. Just going to keep it simple for now unless learning all of these together (shooting raw [lol] and editing) is the best bet?

Good looking out @tokes99 I grabbed some of the Canon programs on the disk. Just going to keep it simple for now unless learning all of these together (shooting raw [lol] and editing) is the best bet?

I'm almost positive Google's Picasa does RAW editing. Probably not as sophisticated as Lightroom, but it's free.

I think shooting RAW from the jump is worth it just so you can develop your own workflow. I don't think you really LEARN to shoot RAW, it's just learning how to process your shots the way you want to. So, provided you have access to a RAW editor, I'd suggest shooting RAW now. If storage space isn't an issue you can always shoot RAW+JPEG which is what I did for most of my first year or so with my camera. I've only recently switched over to RAW only because I was pressed for space on vacation.

Last edited:

a good way to approach shooting raw is if you plan to do a good amount of editing, it is definitely the most advantageous option (hard drive space not withstanding, but memory is hella cheap these days), gives so much headroom for making big changes (things like white balance, highlights & shadows)...however if you make pretty minor edits, don't like to edit, and/or you are relatively good with the jpegs your camera makes, it is probably overkill (it is kinda overkill for most of us who aren't pros). one of the good benefits to most raw editing programs is the organization & non-destructive qualities, especially for those of us who aren't given to do put everything in properly dated & named folders...

Untitled by Benjamin F., on Flickr

Hey guys quick question, ima be shooting some graduation pictures of my girl this coming saturday, was wondering what lens would be best for outdoor portaits for a canon 70D?

thanks

Hey guys quick question, ima be shooting some graduation pictures of my girl this coming saturday, was wondering what lens would be best for outdoor portaits for a canon 70D?

thanks

What lenses do you have access to? I believe portrait shooters hover around a focal length of 85mm (on full-frame) but that doesn't matter if you don't have a lens covering that focal length. Give us your options and I'm positive someone in here can help you out.

That being said, I'd take a few lenses with me if I were you. That way you can change up the look of your shots. Only you can decide which lens/focal length is "best". I think portraits are shot around 85mm because it gives less distortion and a more flattering representation of facial features. But if you're going for a different kind of look you might be needing another lens. Also take into account how much space you'll have. You mentioned outdoor, so this leads me to believe you'll have all the space you'll need, but if you're gonna shoot a ceremony or something you might need a lens with more reach.

Last edited:
need some advice everyone. I have a busy week coming up that includes the following-

-Engagement photos (actually proposal pictures outdoors)

-Graduation (ceremony and party)

-Live Band Performance ( blues band, venue aprox. 150 people)

I am looking to rent a  zoom lens for the weekend but am undecided between the canon 24-70 f2.8 and the 70-200 f2.8

My current setup is the following-

Canon 5d

Canon 40d

430exII x 2

50mm f1.4

135 f2

I cant seem to decide which one, i know i can throw my 135L on my 40d to get a little more range, but I like the idea of being able to get to 200mm in outdoor situations.  I know that 24mm on a FF is great for indoor photos and group shots but I have done pretty well with foot zooming my 50mm. 

any insight would be appreciated 

Back
Top Bottom