The Old PlayStation Thread | *NEW THREAD IS UP*

if the PS4 look something like the the alienware x51 i'll be happy, more vents for cooling and maybe extra fan ...

Last edited:
PlayStation 4 does not require an internet connection

If Diablo 3 taught us anything, it's that not everyone loves the idea of games that demand an internet connection.

In fact, it was hard to find anyone who loved games that demand an internet connection, which was sort of the problem: if you can't outweigh the pain of potential inconvenience to whatever proportion of your audience, then you simply aren't going to win that battle. Click click click loot loot loot.

Good news, then, because Sony Computer Entertainment seems to have reached the same conclusion at a system level for PlayStation 4, and as the result the new console will do pretty much whatever you customise it to do when it comes to the internet.

Sony's super-slick PS4 conference talked about a lot of functionality that will clearly benefit from an internet connection more than ever before - a processing module that handles downloads in the console's suspend state, for one thing - but when I talked to Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida after the PS4 conference he was adamant it was all customisable.

Does the PlayStation 4 always need to be connected to the internet, I asked?

"You can play offline, but you may want to keep it connected," he suggested. "The system has the low-power mode - I don't know the official term - that the main system is shut down but the subsystem is awake. Downloading or updating or you can wake it up using either the tablet, smartphone or PS Vita."

Are all of those things optional, though? For people who have broadband data limits, for example? They can customise everything?

"Oh yes, yes, you can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that."

Sony clearly isn't afraid of technical nuance. This is a company that announced its next-generation console by declaring it has an x86 architecture, advanced PC GPU, 8GB of GDDR5 memory and a massive hard disk. You may like some of its networking ideas. You may not like some of them. I got the impression speaking to Yoshida that Sony has other priorities.

Speaking from experience, it's always been good at allowing people to change what they want up to a logical point - far beyond any of its competitors - and I see no reason to suspect any change this generation.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-playstation-4-does-not-require-an-internet-connection

The event yesterday really was impressive, but felt a bit shallow. The games looked great, but nothing bout them were revolutionary. The biggest problem I had was that people left the conference talking about specs and graphics. There was no talk about any game play elements, just graphics. No one said, "Oh man, that game looks fun I can't wait to play that!" All people were hyping up were the graphics. Graphics don't sell systems!

Sony needs to provide consumers with something that keeps their attention. Their vision on what they will actually do with the system was muddled for me.

They focused a lot of energy talking about features they were HOPING to deliver on the PS4. For example.. the Gaikai streaming service. They HOPE to one day stream live games to an already defunct PS Vita. Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? Who would want to pay extra money for a failed system in hopes Sony supports this functionality?

Sony HOPES Kill Zone and the rest of their games will reach the graphical prowess they showed yesterday. Sony is notorious for showing glorified tech demos only to release a game with half of the visual quality. They did it with the original Kill Zone for the PS3.

And my biggest problem is the price. Despite what anyone says, one of PS3's biggest flaws was the price. Most consumers are not paying $500+ for a gaming console. Sony needs to release this thing at around $400 for it to penetrate the market and take away steam from the Wii U and XBox. With the current specs it doesn't look like that will be the case.

I'll take a wait and see approach when it comes to the PS4 and at the end of the day games is all that matters. If the Sony can deliver the great games they'll be alright.

Sony HOPES Kill Zone and the rest of their games will reach the graphical prowess they showed yesterday. Sony is notorious for showing glorified tech demos only to release a game with half of the visual quality.
killzone was live gameplay off a devkit

they learned their lesson from 2005

Last edited:
Hey at least my blu-ray collection is good money for next gen...whenever I decide to make the jump. 

kotaku.com/5986059/the-ps4-one-day-later
These Bozo always nick pick on everything on the Playstation, i wont be surprise if they go nuts on the nextbox and praise it as the next great gaming console

Last edited:
^How much do you think the price will be?
I think its probably gonna be priced at around $550. And that is with them losing money on the system. Sony will try to reach economies of scale with this machine so look to see a lot of PS4's around. If they run into manufacturing issues/shortages that could spell doom for the system. Lets not forget Sony is losing BILLIONS of dollars and can't afford for this system to get off to a slow start.

killzone was live gameplay off a devkit

they learned their lesson from 2005
I heard it was running on a PC with comparable specs to the PS4, but if that true that is great news. Visually Kill Zone: Shadow Fall looked like it could run on a $1000 PC rig. One thing is for certain is that they need to market the hell out of that game so that it becomes a system seller. Can't wait to see what is in store for E3. I know Sony has a couple tricks up there sleeve. :nerd:

^If you are right and they are going to pump alot of PS4's from day 1, that's great news because that would mean nobody has to deal with the damn resellers. I will pre-order mine day 1, which I'm guessing pre-ordering would begin the week after E3.

I got my PS3 launch day but alot of ppl didn't because sony had to recall alot of units due to some technical issue.

I heard it was running on a PC with comparable specs to the PS4, but if that true that is great news. Visually Kill Zone: Shadow Fall looked like it could run on a $1000 PC rig. One thing is for certain is that they need to market the hell out of that game so that it becomes a system seller. Can't wait to see what is in store for E3. I know Sony has a couple tricks up there sleeve.
nerd.gif
the devkits should have the actual ps4 cpu + gpu, its the liverpool APU

the only thing they might not have is the unified 8gb of gddr5 ram which will only help the games look better

Last edited:
I am NOT impressed. :rolleyes

Xbox is sure to blow this silly system out of the water. lol i'm prob just saying that because im bummed :lol: .. I'm just not excited as i thought id be :frown:

.. I think xbox will turn it up again though :smokin :smokin :smokin .. guess we'll see.

I am NOT impressed.
eyes.gif

Xbox is sure to blow this silly system out of the water. lol i'm prob just saying that because im bummed
laugh.gif
.. I'm just not excited as i thought id be
frown.gif

.. I think xbox will turn it up again though
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
.. guess we'll see.
blow it out how?

you mean like power-wise???

ill remember that when they announce the systems specs, IF they announce them
laugh.gif

When PlayStation 4 was announced in New York City last night, Sony showed the interface, the games, and told you what was inside, but they didn’t show what it looks like. According to Sony Computer Entertainment America CEO Jack Tretton, that’s because it’s not yet ready.

“We’re certainly capable of showing playable game content,” Tretton told AllThingsD, “but we don’t have a mass-production box that we can bring out and pull out. That’s still in development in terms of final specs and design.”

The box will be shown later this year. But even so, Tretton says what it looks like isn’t as important as what it does.

“You certainly look at it when you insert a disc, but for most people, it’s behind a cabinet or on a shelf somewhere and you spend all your time looking at the screen. And we wanted to show people the screen.”

Additionally, Tretton confirmed to Polygon that while PlayStation 4 won’t support 4K output for games, it will support “for personal contents, like photos or videos.”

And one last bit—probably one assumed—Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida told Polygon that PlayStation 4 will not support the DualShock 3 controller. “But it does support PS Move,” he said.

Back
Top Bottom