The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 US Open)

I'm not sure what Kei needs to do to take his game to the next level.
I truthfully don't have the answer either. Michael Chang has definitely helped improve Kei's overall game, but how much of a ceiling is really left for Nishikori's evolution? The way he played Nole in the '16 Oz QF was puzzling. Horrendous strategy and shot selection throughout the three quick sets. Tried to run through Djokovic with sheer power. I guess one aspect to grow on is grit. You wonder about his physical levels at times, and reluctance to engage in longer rallies. I'd be disappointed if the '14 USO ends up ultimately being his best shot at a Slam.

I'm not sure what Kei needs to do to take his game to the next level.

good question. He's undersized and has no big weapons. He fights like hell and defends great, but how far can that take him?

top 5 is there but GS champion? lots of things have to go right. With all that said, i love to watch him play.

I would agree and say Kei has just got to build more endurance and be willing to grind out there. His backhand is pretty sweet IMO, but nothing else is really there to make me jump out of my seat at. 

Maybe he should go gluten free like that Djoke Hole. 

I would agree and say Kei has just got to build more endurance and be willing to grind out there. His backhand is pretty sweet IMO, but nothing else is really there to make me jump out of my seat at. 

Maybe he should go gluten free like that King Nole. 

I agree, I like Kei's game but he doesn't have that go to weapon. Maybe a gluten free diet will help his stamina and endurance.

The future  
laugh.gif

mean.gif
 Needs to be disciplined.  Unacceptable behavior. 

In a final... a couple points from losing... at least give your oppo the respect of winning the match properly. 

Last edited:
Scumbag Dimitrov, that is not a good look. He better be careful because it won't take too many outbursts like this to be in the Scumbag Nick stratosphere.

Too many scandals this year in tennis.

Cibulkova pulls off the upset over Aga in Madrid. Really great match between the two. It's a shame they had to play in the first round.

Really disappointed in Baby Fed. I was rooting for him too...

LOL at Grigor. He should be used to losing by now. Serena pulled out of Madrid. I'm getting sick of her and we're only 1 slam in smh.

Last edited:
Serena isn't motivated anymore which is frustrating yet understandable. I think the worst thing about her run last year was that the media in general started giving her the kinds of props a player of her stature deserved. Part of Serena's brilliance is that she has always played with a huge chip on her shoulder due to her real or perceived belief that the tennis media and establishment don't appreciate her or downplay her accompaniments by chalking her dominance to intimidating her opponents rather than to her immense talent and skill. This passion for silencing her critics has propelled Serena to unbelievable Heights. Now that the tennis media and tennis insiders openly acknowledge and consider her to be at worst the second best female player of all time, Serena just isn't as fired up.

Serena has been playing less and less over the last couple of years. I think the four Slams, Miami, Indian Wells and maybe Cincy or Montreal/Toronto are the only events we should expect her to play at this point in her career (she'll also play the Olympics this year, too, of course...). I feel like it isn't even a guarantee anymore that Serena will play the WTA Finals.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put Grigor and Nick in the same scumbag though.  What Grigor did was petulant and unsportsmanlike, but he's generally had an reasonable attitude.  Nick's episode with Stan as well as his ongoing on-court shenanigans shows me that he hasn't changed at all. 

Nicholas is a true statesman and gentleman. He is a fantastic ambassador to the game and someone who deserves our profound admiration and respect. As I said last year, Nicholas told Stan that another player had sexual intercourse with Stan's girlfriend, not out of spite, but out of genuine concern for Stan's well being. Not too many people would do what Nicholas did and I for one commend him.

[emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]
[/spoiler

Angie with the glasses though...
embarassed.gif

Anyway, Scumbag Kyrgios vs. Wawa IV tomorrow. Looking forward to Sock vs. DelPo as well.

Nicholas is a true statesman and gentleman. He is a fantastic ambassador to the game and someone who deserves our profound admiration and respect. As I said last year, Nicholas told Stan that another player had sexual intercourse with Stan's girlfriend, not out of spite, but out of genuine concern for Stan's well being. Not too many people would do what Nicholas did and I for one commend him.
[emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]
[/spoiler
Didn't Wawa quit that match after Kyrgios told him his boy smashed Wawa's girl?

laugh.gif

He retired from an injury, but IIRC, he didn't hear NK's comment during the match.  Both guys were standing at the baseline, so from that distance, it woulda been hard for Stan to hear what was said.  I think he only found out after the match ended. 

Congrats to Simo for winning her second Masters Premier Mandatory title in Madrid. Nice to see her (and Cibulkova) playing well again.

Rafa loses to Andy in straight sets. Pretty disappointed with the result since Nadal's been playing so good lately, but credit to Andy for the big win. This means yet another Muzz-Nole final. [emoji]128553[/emoji]

I'm not going to believe it until I actually see it, but the Williams sisters are suppose to be playing doubles in Rome. They haven't played together since losing to Big Mak/Vesnina (who, coincidentally, joined forces again this week in Madrid) at the 2014 US Open QFs.

Simona played really well... just overpowered Domi.  Well deserved win.  

Rafa's played well too over the past few weeks, but didn't look very sharp against Muzz.  Lots of scrappy errors and not enough depth, while Muzz was super solid.  

Nole nearly Chokovic'd it against Kei being up 5-4 40-0, only to get broken.  Old Nole woulda lost that 2nd set TB.  Good recovery.  

Back
Top Bottom