The Old PlayStation Thread | *NEW THREAD IS UP*

So it isn't native 4K, it's up-scaled 4K?

Yea, it's not native as it's simply not strong enough for native but they're using some techniques
So it isn't native 4K, it's up-scaled 4K?

Yea not native as you'll need a much more powerful console for native 4K unless it's some simple indie game or small title which is not demanding.
Instead, on 4K TV's, it will run the resolution higher than 1080p and then use some smart rendering techniques to create a 4K buffer.

View media item 2158325
View media item 2158326

Last edited:
So I should just buy everything to be safe
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
1. If you already have a 4K HDR TV or planning on getting one in the near future, go ahead and get the PS4 PRO to be ahead of the game.

2. If you don't have a 4K HDR TV and don't plan on getting one for some time, you can still get a PRO for the benefits of better resolutions on HDTVs. You can also get a Slim model for $100 cheaper, if you don't care about the improved graphics, 4K video upscaled 4K gaming, etc. Only thing is that if you use have audio devices that requires a connection to a Digital Out (Optical) port like headsets and/or sound bars, you won't be able to use them with the PS4 Slim. Sony took out the Digital Out (Optical) port from the Slim model.

As expected, they fell in love with that 399 price point SMH
Sony wasn't going to go cheaper, due to the upgraded hardware in the system, and they certainly wasn't going to make it too expensive. The $399 price is the best sweet spot for Sony to sell the console with the least amount of $$$ loss per system.

Remember what happened when they went 599.

I wish consumers were more receptive to peformance than price but what can you do. At leasts it's still a step up from the OG.

Size wise, it's not that different too.

Slim: 264 x 39 x 288mm
OG: 275 x 53 x 305mm
Pro: 295 x 55 x 327mm

I don't have have a 4K TV so I'm not even thinking about buying the PS4 Pro. I'd rather use that money and get the TV first. Nothing I've read from this show has me sold. I'm just gonna stick with my plan and build a gaming PC next year.

ill wait till the ps5 comes out...dont even like playing alot of my games in anything bigger than my side piece 40 in.

i tried playing some of my shooting games on my 65in 4k and wasnt feeling it

Last edited:

Sony wasn't going to go cheaper, due to the upgraded hardware in the system, and they certainly wasn't going to make it too expensive. The $399 price is the best sweet spot for Sony to sell the console with the least amount of $$$ loss per system.
Remember what happened when they went 599.

I wish consumers were more receptive to peformance than price but what can you do. At leasts it's still a step up from the OG.

Size wise, it's not that different too.

Slim: 264 x 39 x 288mm
OG: 275 x 53 x 305mm
Pro: 295 x 55 x 327mm
i completely disagree with your guys's posts

the reason 499/599 looked ridiculous was because there was no non-ridiculous price point of entry

if the 20gb ps3 released at 399 and the 60gb released at 499/599, no one would have complained about 599

its the same situation i see now, who cares about people complaining about 499/599 when there's a 299 option

which brings me to my next point, why 399?  they already appealed to the people who were unwilling to go over 399 with the OG ps4, why did they have to do it again? they fell in love with that number and it shows, especially the lack of 4kbdr

this was their opportunity to bring out a beast of a machine for the enthusiasts but they decided to try and reach as many people as possible for 399, we'll see how that goes

Last edited:
I wasn't really expecting much from the Pro just like I don't expect much from Scorpio. After all those rumors, I was hoping for a new Vita and a some new games.

I wasn't really expecting much from the Pro just like I don't expect much from Scorpio. After all those rumors, I was hoping for a new Vita and a some new games.
yeah i had low expectations coming into the conference and didnt really care all that much for the Pro. i will upgrade to it maybe this year I'm not sure yet but I'm sure Sony and devs are saving most of the game stuff for TGS

I wonder what the chances of Sony announcing PS5 late next year are.

wouldn't ps4k prolong the life of the ps4 gen? If ps5 releases as soon as you wonder. The ps4 pro would become the defacto ps4, then the ps5 is basically the ps4k.

Assuming ps5 has BC.

There's probably been 100 remasters this gen, so backwards compatibilty is almost a must for the ps5.

Given x86.

wouldn't ps4k prolong the life of the ps4 gen? If ps5 releases as soon as you wonder. The ps4 pro would become the defacto ps4, then the ps5 is basically the ps4k.
Assuming ps5 has BC.
There's probably been 100 remasters this gen, so backwards compatibilty is almost a must for the ps5.
Given x86.
An announcement next year with a release date in 2018 would give PS4 Pro 2 years time which is more than enough time. As I've said in the past, I could careless about BC. It's a nice feature but not a must have imo. I'd rather MS and Sony invest that money elsewhere. I still have my PS3 and I'll keep my PS4 to play any last gen games that spark my interest. NX is the only console I want to have BC and that's because I hate the Wii U controllers. I want to play those exclusives with a regular controller.

Back
Top Bottom