The Old PlayStation Thread | *NEW THREAD IS UP*

Any good deals going on now? I wanna make my switch to Sony and heard a new PS4 coming out soon, any good deals on the older models?

So in this video they basically go into how the PS4 Pro isn't capable of running Uncharted 4 at 1080p 60fps:

Man, you have got to be kidding me.. Late 2016 and we still don't have a 1080p 60fps console? 
mean.gif

Who cares about 4K? Many wouldn't even tell the difference unless they have a huge *** screen or are sitting inches away from the TV.

But any moron could tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps within seconds. And it wouldn't matter if it was a 80 or 30 inch screen.

Can't believe this.. I would take 1080p and 60fps over 4K and 30fps any day of the week. I thought they scrapped the UHD blu ray player so they "could focus on the gaming aspect" of the console. But that seems to be a giant failure if what they say in the video is true.

Last edited:
only a subset of a subset care about 60 fps

pretty graphics sell, 60 fps doesnt

i was all for a more powerful console though

Last edited:

What???? Read through the comment section of the article from the site where that video was posted. Everyone agrees that 1080p 60fps > 4K 30fps. Overwhelmingly so.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-what-if-ps4-pro-uncharted-4-ran-at-60fps

1080p doesn't look as good as 4K, but it still looks good. 30fps looks choppy no matter what the resolution. It would've easily been a better solution to prioritize frame rate over resolution. Make a poll on any gaming community site and see for yourself.

Neogaf and gaming site comment sections are not representative of everyone who games. 

Most people can't tell and/or don't even care about the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

Graphics sell games. Better graphics + smooth framerate == $$$

As long as there are no dips, they'll never complain. Just make that **** pretty.

yeah the average consumer doesnt care to think about frames per second whichever one looks prettier on screen is all that matters to them 

You may be right, that the layperson cares more about better graphics, but that's only because they don't know better.

It also doesn't mean that it's more important to the gaming experience.

Differences in graphical fidelity can be casually observed, whereas 60 fps vs 30 fps has to be felt via gameplay sessions.

I'd bet if you could educate the casual gaming public, they'd care less about graphics and more about framerate as its more integral to the experience.

A cel-shaded Zelda game can be immersive, and a photorealistic shooter can be immersive, but a game that frequently dips in frame rate can't be.

So in this video they basically go into how the PS4 Pro isn't capable of running Uncharted 4 at 1080p 60fps:

Man, you have got to be kidding me.. Late 2016 and we still don't have a 1080p 60fps console? :smh:

Who cares about 4K? Many wouldn't even tell the difference unless they have a huge *** screen or are sitting inches away from the TV.

But any moron could tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps within seconds. And it wouldn't matter if it was a 80 or 30 inch screen.

Can't believe this.. I would take 1080p and 60fps over 4K and 30fps any day of the week. I thought they scrapped the UHD blu ray player so they "could focus on the gaming aspect" of the console. But that seems to be a giant failure if what they say in the video is true.

No such thing as a 60fps console. It's about how Devs use the resources they have. PS5 and PS6 will be the same.
Consoles have a finite amount of resources and most games run at 30fps and with pretty graphics than 60fps with worse graphics because that's what the majority wants.

Obviously some games like racing and fighting games require 60fps because it's fundamental to the gameplay and those games are 60fps on consoles.

As for people who care about 4K, the guys who bought 4K care about 4K and they're loads of them out there.

PC is the way to go if you want every game to be 60fps.

For me personally, make it look nice and keep the framerate stable.

Here's an example. Driveclub has he best weather effects in any racing game. They had to remove weather from Driveclub VR to get it to 60fps.
I'm fine with that for VR but for the main game, I would take 30fps plus the great graphics and weather effects to 60fps with no weather and worse graphics.

Locked 30fps throughout the whole video. No dips.
That's how it should be.

Watching the video making me sad again. :smh:

Last edited:
Doom arrived today. I'll currently have Fallout 4, Bloodborne, and Doom all on the go, one week before Rise of Iron.

200.gif

Last edited:

Neogaf and gaming site comment sections are not representative of everyone who games. 

Most people can't tell and/or don't even care about the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

Graphics sell games. Better graphics + smooth framerate == $$$

As long as there are no dips, they'll never complain. Just make that **** pretty.
Most people can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps but they can tell the difference between 4K and 1080p resolution? 
laugh.gif
 Um, okay.

On The Last of Us Remastered there is an option where you can switch between 30 and 60 fps. The difference is like night and day in terms of visual experience. There is no way in hell that most people couldn't tell the difference between those.

There is such a thing as "diminishing returns":

Obviously, most would prefer a PS4 era graphics game running at 30fps than a PS2 era game running at 60, including myself. But I am certain that we have reached a point where most think that the difference in resolution isn't as impactful as the difference in frame rate if you compared a 1080p game running at 60fps with a 4K one running at 30.

Last edited:
Most people can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps but they can tell the difference between 4K and 1080p resolution? :lol: Um, okay.

On The Last of Us Remastered there is an option where you can switch between 30 and 60 fps. The difference is like night and day in terms of visual experience. There is no way in hell that most people couldn't tell the difference between those.

There is such a thing as "diminishing returns":

View media item 2166133

Obviously, most would prefer a PS4 era graphics game running at 30fps than a PS2 era game running at 60, including myself. But I am certain that we have reached a point where most think that the difference in resolution isn't as impactful as the difference in frame rate if you compared a 1080p game running at 60fps with a 4K one running at 30.

It's all subjective. People have different tastes and the extra resources you get from making the game 30fps instead of 60fps can go into other things like I mentioned above with the Driveclub example.

Another example is Uncharted single player vs multiplayer.

No way would I want 60fps at 900p with worse graphics or set pieces for the Uncharted single player.

Another thing about 4K is that for the same screen size you are packing 4 times the amount of pixels to 1080p

This means that aliasing or jaggies are much less of an issue before even employing any anti-aliasing techniques which use up resources so that's another major boost of going 4K.

Last edited:
Everytime i read about ps pro i get more disillusioned lol. I just can't shake that eventually it will matter towards the end of the life cycle... and it will help VR. Iv'e almost canceled the pre order and gotten the slim so many times.

It's not the 100 bucks. I just don't want a jet engine sounded system for no real positive aspects.

Doom arrived today. I'll currently have Fallout 4, Bloodborne, and Doom all on the go, one week before Rise of Iron.

200.gif

I'm hoping I can get DOOM for $20 or less on BF. How's BB coming along? Once I got the hang of it, I couldn't put it down.

Back
Top Bottom