The Old PlayStation Thread | *NEW THREAD IS UP*

Wasn't the PS3 only priced so high on RD because they were the backwards compatible ones that could play all discs from PS2/1?

Both 20GB and 60GB models were backwards compatible upon release. It was only later on the feature was lost.

The 20GB didn't come with Wifi if I remember correctly.

Even at the $499.99 price for the 20GB in 2006, it would be $634.06 in 2019.

Wasn't the PS3 only priced so high on RD because they were the backwards compatible ones that could play all discs from PS2/1?

I want to also add that it came standard with a Blu-Ray disc player. Part of the reason why SONY kept the price high for far too long when they ought to have slashed it sooner to get some parity with X360.

Last edited:
US prices of PlayStation consoles at launch, inflation-adjusted:
1995: PlayStation - $511.07 ($299.99)
2000: PlayStation 2 - $452.21 ($299.99)
2006: PlayStation 3 - $779.23 ($599.99)
2013: PlayStation 4 - $451.15 ($399.99)

$499.99 is very reasonable.

$500 is confirmed?
Because I read an article the other day stating production costs are $450, so I'm hoping the price is not too bad...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-with-playstation-5-price-due-to-costly-parts

PO

Man I’m not sure there are enough current rappers today that I’d even want to play with in a video game. If they could add the rosters from Vendetta and FFNY then I’d be interested.
Griselda complete with wrestling moves and chairs/tables would be dope.

$500 is confirmed?
Because I read an article the other day stating production costs are $450, so I'm hoping the price is not too bad...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-with-playstation-5-price-due-to-costly-parts

PO

Not confirmed, but that is what people are assuming/hoping.

PS4 Pro already $499 Canadian, they're going to have us refinance our homes in order to purchase PS5. :smh: :smh: :smh:

Yea, it's not going to be pretty for us. :smh: $499 USD would put us at about $675-ish.

Picked up my copy of Dreams... been awhile since I've played anything from Media Molecule. Game seems to be getting solid review scores.

Yup the Emotion Engine CPU mostly and the Graphics Synthesizer, It allowed full PS2 hardware compatibility.
manufacturing Cell CPU, Blu Ray, those SD card readers in the front lol, and I'm not sure if launching with HDMI increased cost.

Never played Divinity Original Sin 2 so I got the definitive edition on console, only heard great things so I'm excited to check it out

Man ya’ll just let people buy whatever they want :lol:

I believe a lot of these games i.e. Cyberpunk 2077, Dying Light 2 etc. are being developed more so for next gen as opposed to current gen but they not gonna miss out on the current install base. I could be wrong but personally can’t wait to cop my PS5 day one. I already stopped purchasing games for this gen. My only exceptions will be FF VII and TLOU Part II.

yeah youll be playing ps4 games on ur ps5
if its 399 ill be all in though
Sure, I still have unbeaten games PS4 games. I mean that’s no different than buying a Switch for $300 and playing old PS3 ports or lesser ports of PS4 games. At the end of the day, all that matters is that you have a good time.

Sure, I still have unbeaten games PS4 games. I mean that’s no different than buying a Switch for $300 and playing old PS3 ports or lesser ports of PS4 games. At the end of the day, all that matters is that you have a good time.
stop making sense
we suppose to be debating
debate me

For many years, my reasoning for not copping a PS4 was the fact that it would've just been a $400 blu ray/tv streamer. No use when I already had a PS3.

Someone tell me why I have 8 hour updates for MW every other goddamn day. Makes me never wanna play knowing theres ANOTHER update. Is there just something wrong with my PS4? I was playing for a couple hours yesterday, I try to play today and I cant cause its ANOTHER update.

Man ya’ll just let people buy whatever they want :lol:

I believe a lot of these games i.e. Cyberpunk 2077, Dying Light 2 etc. are being developed more so for next gen as opposed to current gen but they not gonna miss out on the current install base. I could be wrong but personally can’t wait to cop my PS5 day one. I already stopped purchasing games for this gen. My only exceptions will be FF VII and TLOU Part II.

thank you.

I understand the "wasting money" argument; I hear it from my wife all the time. :lol:

But, damnit, I come to the site where dropping 4 figures on shoes annually is basically a prerequisite for half the people here. Wasting money on NT is an art form.

Last edited:
is it a reasonable expectation that ps4 games emulated on ps5 will get a performance boost b/c of the beefier hardware ??

i honestly dont give a s*** if the ps5 doesnt get a true killer app for a year or two if i can play sekiro/soulsbourne/all my backlog stuff @ 60 fps w/ faster load times

is it a reasonable expectation that ps4 games emulated on ps5 will get a performance boost b/c of the beefier hardware ??

i honestly dont give a s*** if the ps5 doesnt get a true killer app for a year or two if i can play sekiro/soulsbourne/all my backlog stuff @ 60 fps w/ faster load times

you should probably expect a smoother experience. If the game had FPS dips on PS4 and they updated it for ps5 then it should be better. But if you are asking if the ps4 disk will run any smoother if the ps5 accepts, id be inclined to say no or very mininal

Back
Top Bottom