The Old PlayStation Thread | *NEW THREAD IS UP*

Regarding hard drive space on the PS5, do you guys think capacity will actually be a problem? I watched a video of a guy on YouTube that’s a developer break down the Mark Cerny presentation. He pointed out that the reason games are so large now is that everything has to be copied to the hard drive multiple times which takes up a lot of space. Since the SSD essentially streams data on the fly it’ll potentially cut out the need for copying multiple assets every time the system needs it. I wonder if we could potentially see smaller game files

I think a lot of it is probably up to the devs. I also think for games with different modes, you should be able to pick what you actually download. MW damn near 200 GBs now :lol:

That's cool and all but graphical improvements can only go so far before it reaches a limit to how much better it can go from generation to generation. Yes, I agree it's an improvement I don't think we'll be seeing the huge leap like PS1 to PS2 or PS2 to PS3 anymore.
I agree with you that it'll be more and more difficult for us to discern changes from here on out, but there's no limit to how things get better until we reach something close to real-life or somethat some how enhances reality.

Regarding hard drive space on the PS5, do you guys think capacity will actually be a problem? I watched a video of a guy on YouTube that’s a developer break down the Mark Cerny presentation. He pointed out that the reason games are so large now is that everything has to be copied to the hard drive multiple times which takes up a lot of space. Since the SSD essentially streams data on the fly it’ll potentially cut out the need for copying multiple assets every time the system needs it. I wonder if we could potentially see smaller game files
I saw that there will be an extra ssd slot but I don't know how true that is

Storage can be expanded by adding an M2 SSD. Not sure if you can just add in any SSD or if there will be certain requirements

3btt8mlufq451.jpg

Anyone deal with bad analog drift? It's really bad. Any fixes or any brand of controller I should try out?

Need to get a 4k tv also

had a vizio for almost 10 yrs, good tv, still going strong, but its time to bring in the next gen right, was thinking of a sony tv

Its funny how every time a black man is killed his history is uncovered to make the killing seem just

Disgusting

Need to get a 4k tv also

had a vizio for almost 10 yrs, good tv, still going strong, but its time to bring in the next gen right, was thinking of a sony tv

Its funny how every time a black man is killed his history is uncovered to make the killing seem just

Disgusting
I copped a 4K Somy tv last month and haven’t been disappointed.

Yea, I posted about this in the post below.
Spider-Man on PS4 has 10GB of duplicate assets in the game all because of slow hard drives.

However we now have higher res, more detailed textures and models like we saw in the UE5 demo and the games on the PS5 reveal stream.
UHD Blu-Ray disks can also go to 100GB in size so developers are not restricted to 50GB anymore like on the PS4.

So it's good that the drives will be used more efficiently and will make games better but I think the game sizes will get bigger overall

Linus finally got to researching the PS5 after calling out how it couldn't be better than the current PC solutions.
Good to see even a PC centric guy can appreciate what the PS5's SSD will bring to the table.
Even admits PC's will likely be the lowest common denominator in terms of hard drive speeds, at least at the beginning of next gen.
Not good for third party games.

One thing he also mentions is how traditionally games have had to have the same data replicated multiple times on a hard disk so that it can be read and loaded faster.
Insomniac had a GDC presentation that showed this last year for SpiderMan.

1591401762032.png

With SSD's as the baseline, this won't have to happen since assets can be read and loaded faster so an asset won't need to be duplicated wasting space on your hard drive.
I don't expect games to get much smaller next gen since assets will have higher res textures and all but if more can fit on disk then it's less time downloading day 1 patches and more flexibility in general.

So not only did current hard drive slow down SpiderMan's web swinging, it also caused the game to be bloated in size by 10GB.

Its things like this that get me excited for next gen to see what developers come up with.

Now's the time to work on the backlog because I have a feeling once next gen gets fully going we're going to be spoilt and it might be hard to go back.

Storage can be expanded by adding an M2 SSD. Not sure if you can just add in any SSD or if there will be certain requirements

Yea, it has to be one that has been certified.
In the PS5 talk, Cerny said it has to be one that is 7GB/s at least.

Last edited:
I copped a 4K Somy tv last month and haven’t been disappointed.

which one?
Treat yourself and get a LG OLED C9 or CX. Perfect blacks and 2.1 hdmi.

Best TV on the market.

Even better than the Samsung 8k.

Thank me later :nthat:

will look into this, was thinking sony because of the ps5 and having everything under 1 umbrella but it doesnt really matter right

That samsung q70t might be the move.

what makes u say that

Or I can wait until Black Friday, best buy every year has a cheap *** 4k for sale

Back
Top Bottom