The Ravens did Terrell Suggs dirty.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by Tha Murdera 2001

u can't franchise a player 2 years in a row...

correct me if I'm wrong?
you can franchise a player as many years in a row as you want. a lot of teams dont do it because it usually ends up in a holdout, but it's perfectly legal to do it as much as you want.

if i'm not mistaken the pats tried to do that to asante samuel.

Im pretty sure you can only do it once and then the next year they can be unrestricted free agents

Originally Posted by toine2983

asu334 wrote:

Can someone explain to me what franchising a player entails?

When a team designates a player with the franchise tag, it means that their salary for that season will be the average of the 5 highest paid players at that particular position i.e. QB, HB, WR, etc.

A franchised tag means the team signs you to a one year deal with the pay of the average top 5 paid players at your position. The next year the player becomesan unrestricted free agent. Also, if a another team signs a player that had a franchise tag they have to give up their first an third round picks

Originally Posted by mco85

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by Tha Murdera 2001

u can't franchise a player 2 years in a row...

correct me if I'm wrong?
you can franchise a player as many years in a row as you want. a lot of teams dont do it because it usually ends up in a holdout, but it's perfectly legal to do it as much as you want.

if i'm not mistaken the pats tried to do that to asante samuel.

Im pretty sure you can only do it once and then the next year they can be unrestricted free agents

Here is what it is, like others have said its a contract where the team that has you for the previous season can give you the average salary of the previousyears top 5 paid players at your position. You have to accept the contract. Once you get the offer you are no longer eligible to be a FA. The team and theplayer then have til July 15th to get a long term deal done. If a long term deal is not in place the player is then required to sign the franchise contract.You used to be able to sign guy to that deal 3 times, now its 2. You get a 20% raise after the first year of the tag should the team want to sign you to itagain. This rule is in place to give a period of time for a player to get a long term deal don with the team whom has his services. Some teams simply want theplayer for another year (New England with Zant), other teams want to really sign the player but he is being unreasonable (Bears with Briggs) If a player gets adecent offer but takes the franchise tag they can come out ahead. Lance Briggs resigned with the Bears the first season after recieving the tag. In hisfranchise year he was paid about 8 million dollars, in that offseason he signed for 6 years and 36 million. That means he got about 44 million for 7 seasons.But here is where he really makes his money.
Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune

The deal is essentially for two years and $14.905 million. The Bears don't have to pay Briggs' $3.3 million roster bonus until June 10 in 2010. That will allow them to weigh free agency and the draft that year before deciding whether to pick up Briggs' bonus. Roster bonuses are normally due in March.
What that means is hes making about 23 million for 3 seasons, which is great by NFL standards. Plus he will be a Free Agent when he is 29 and bein a prime position to hit a big payday. The Economy should be out of the pooper by then. This is why a lot of players go to Drew. He finds a way to make theplayer happy, and make the team not feel bad.

Back
Top Bottom