The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

AIR JORDAN I MID FEARLESS
MELODY EHSANI
$130
AVAILABLE 11/15 AT 7:00 AM
“If you knew what you had was rare, you would never waste it.” This is one of several inspirational messages hidden throughout Los Angeles based designer Melody Ehsani’s take on the Air Jordan I Mid. Raised in a traditional Persian family, Ehsani manifests her message of female empowerment and self-expression into her vision for the AJI. Making the entire silhouette her own, a decorative gold watch makes for an ideal dubrae, and each quote is hand-lettered.

1573751114724.png

1573751142436.png
1573751127629.png

would be kool if Timex did a limited edition run of watches in rose gold or yellow gold, I think ppl would buy.

The Long, Formerly Radioactive History of the Panerai Radiomir
The watch, commissioned by the Royal Italian Navy, has outlived its origins.

Maybe the best way to explain the watchmaker Panerai’s appeal is by reference to the kinds of wrists its watches usually land on. Forget James Bond—Panerai makes beefy, brawny watches worn by the beefier, brawnier likes of Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger. And unlike other manufacturers, which evolved to eventually focus on hard-wearing timepieces, Panerai was from the beginning defined by deep-diving tool watch production, and the kind of out-there technological breakthroughs that industry requires. Right out of the gate, the brand's Radiomir introduced new standards while literally glowing like a radioactive beacon, its long, thorny history shedding light on some of the gnarlier corners of the 20th century. If all of menswear history can be traced back to military uniforms, a certain portion of the watch world has a similar connection to Panerai's WWII-era inventions.

Giovanni Panerai first opened the doors of Officine Panerai on Florence’s Ponte alle Grazie in 1860; evenutally, the business was taken over at the turn of the century by Guido Panerai, Giovanni’s grandson. The world was changing radically. With ugly wars on the horizon, and the industrial revolution in full swing, Panerai shifted its efforts towards the production of precision instruments, including depth gauges and compasses.

Diver’s instruments were by no means a Panerai invention, but the luminous material found on their dials was. Patented in France in 1916, the brand’s proprietary compound was called “Radiomir,” thanks to the fine, radium-based-powder that afforded its luminous properties. Though highly radioactive (with exposure now known to result in anemia, bone fractures, and necrosis), the powdered substance was particularly useful for Panerai’s products, which needed to function in the gloomy depths of the ocean. The Royal Italian Navy, not one to turn down a chance to literally see in the dark, in turn commissioned Panerai to produce a similarly luminous timepiece for underwater use.

Covertly manufactured under top-secret classification, this timepiece was named for that special compound—the Radiomir. With tensions rising, and the second World War fast approaching, the 47 mm Radiomir was introduced to Royal Italian Navy divers in 1936. Known as the Ref. 3646, these luminous watches featured cushion-shaped cases crafted out of stainless steel, which were secured to heavy duty leather straps using a set of welded wire lugs. (These watches were powered by hand-wound movements supplied and signed by Rolex—considered the best under demanding conditions.)

As the war progressed, so too did the Radiomir. The reference’s dials became more legible and luminous as Panerai experimented with new manufacturing techniques, and the case received an entire redesign at the request of the Navy. Starting in 1940, Radiomirs were manufactured out of a single block of steel. Following the war, the Radiomir would then be upsized to an astounding 60 mm for the Egyptian Navy, and fitted with a unique crown guard similar to that of the brand’s Luminor models.

Throughout these several decades of production, all of Panerai’s watches and supply contracts were classified secrets, which were further classified after the war had ended—meaning the now-wildly popular line of timepieces was unavailable and unknown to the masses. With the war over, the brand returned to the dedicated production of diving instruments. For 21 years, that remained the case—until 1993, when the brand shifted toward producing timepieces for civilian use.

Today, Panerai’s history influences the aesthetics of its current lineup, which includes several Radiomir models, though under the ownership of Richemont, the watchmaker is a different animal altogether. Its grassroots, military-contracted past has been traded for a present informed by the luxury market: the watches now use smaller, in-house movements. While the worn-by-the-Navy 47mm watches are no longer produced using radium, their defining style has been maintained and celebrated through pieces like the true to form “PAM448” Radiomir, and the more recent Radiomir 1940. And while the Italian Navy was devastated by the war, its commissioned watch has had a long, glowing-in-the-dark afterlife.

Reactions: ...
Need your help. So my dad has been asking for my advice on what watch to get . He has more or less $110k to spend on it. He usually just gets patek’s but he has been holding off on them since the market is crazy and he has his fair share. He’s been debating to get a 5726 , 5990 or a RM 30.

I am not that knowledgeable on AP what watch should he potentially be looking into there? He said he just doesn’t want a gold bracelet.

Need your help. So my dad has been asking for my advice on what watch to get . He has more or less $110k to spend on it. He usually just gets patek’s but he has been holding off on them since the market is crazy and he has his fair share. He’s been debating to get a 5726 , 5990 or a RM 30.

I am not that knowledgeable on AP what watch should he potentially be looking into there? He said he just doesn’t want a gold bracelet.

New release 5726 is my first choice, 5990 is my second. If this was 2017 I’d say the 5990 but the new 5726 is a stunner.

If he not buying you one too, I’d tell him kick rocks.
He’s giving my bro and I all but 2 of his watches in 10 years . So these choices are important. :lol:
New release 5726 is my first choice, 5990 is my second. If this was 2017 I’d say the 5990 but the new 5726 is a stunner.
Its a though decison tbh. The 10k price difference is making a little bit easier since i hold both watches basically on even regard.

He’s giving my bro and I all but 2 of his watches in 10 years . So these choices are important. :lol:

Its a though decison tbh. The 10k price difference is making a little bit easier since i hold both watches basically on even regard.

I think the 5990 is a better watch overall, but it's just not as good looking as that 5726 with the bright blue dial. Don't forget to post pics. Is he buying it at retail or resale?

Depends on how the pieces wear on his wrist. The 5726 is just right. A bit thicker bracelet than the 5711. 5990 is a massive piece. Travel Time function is And the RM30 is just unusually thick.

5726 for me. Or an RM67 :lol:

Deciding between a Cartier Tank and a Nomos Glashutte for my holiday gift for myself in need of an evening watch. Anyone have a Nomos?

Depends on how the pieces wear on his wrist. The 5726 is just right. A bit thicker bracelet than the 5711. 5990 is a massive piece. Travel Time function is And the RM30 is just unusually thick.

5726 for me. Or an RM67 :lol:
that RM67 looks good for an RM :lol:
His most used watch is a 5980 two tone and it wears fine, that is kinda thicc as well

Deciding between a Cartier Tank and a Nomos Glashutte for my holiday gift for myself in need of an evening watch. Anyone have a Nomos?

Which model in particular? I had a Nomos Orion before. Great quality for the price. And the movement is in-house. Solid German made timepiece.

For an evening watch, though, the Cartier Tank is more elegant, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom