The Tree of Life. Trailer inside.

Originally Posted by ballinamillion1

First thing that came to mind
dbzmovie31.jpg
exactly what I was thinking 
laugh.gif

But the DBZ version is the "Tree of Might" 

Okay so I got back this a few hours ago and I really wanted to like it but I just could not get into the story. The creation scenes and very much of the movie was shot beautifully. The acting was top notch too, but the story just didn't pull me in. It was my most anticipated movie of the year and it just didn't live up to the hype I set up for it. Mallick movies are generally very much like this and take numerous number of viewings before one can appreciate them, I hope this is the same way. No one booed after the movie but I got a sense a lot of the audience was displeased with it as well. Sean Penn is barely in it and doesn't really make an impact other than looking lost and dumbfounded throughout the duration of his screen time. Chastain and Pitt were really good, as were the children actors. Blah, I'm curious to see what other NTers will think about this movie because it seems to be getting raves everywhere, but I just didn't like it upon first viewing. (the cinematography is the best I've seen in a while, as I stated) 
But if I just wanted beautiful nature shots I could of just watched the Discovery channel for 2 hours.  I just wanted the movie to end and it just kept going on and on, esp. the last sequence of the film was mentally dragging, I walked out with a headache.  

Like I said, I really wanted to like it... but I just didn't.  
frown.gif

Oh well.. commend Terrence for his effort and the dedication it took for him to make his dream movie.

Okay so I got back this a few hours ago and I really wanted to like it but I just could not get into the story. The creation scenes and very much of the movie was shot beautifully. The acting was top notch too, but the story just didn't pull me in. It was my most anticipated movie of the year and it just didn't live up to the hype I set up for it. Mallick movies are generally very much like this and take numerous number of viewings before one can appreciate them, I hope this is the same way. No one booed after the movie but I got a sense a lot of the audience was displeased with it as well. Sean Penn is barely in it and doesn't really make an impact other than looking lost and dumbfounded throughout the duration of his screen time. Chastain and Pitt were really good, as were the children actors. Blah, I'm curious to see what other NTers will think about this movie because it seems to be getting raves everywhere, but I just didn't like it upon first viewing. (the cinematography is the best I've seen in a while, as I stated) 
But if I just wanted beautiful nature shots I could of just watched the Discovery channel for 2 hours.  I just wanted the movie to end and it just kept going on and on, esp. the last sequence of the film was mentally dragging, I walked out with a headache.  

frown.gif

Oh well.. commend Terrence for his effort and the dedication it took for him to make his dream movie.

Originally Posted by hymen man

frown.gif

Word?
Rading this made anticipate this movie even more lol. Watch me have the same reaction as you, finna feel bad man. 

frown.gif

Word?
Rading this made anticipate this movie even more lol. Watch me have the same reaction as you, finna feel bad man. 

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

frown.gif

Word?
Just how I felt man, I was really looking forward to it all year when I found out it was finally going to be released after years of being made and edited.  Just the shots of nature with subtle whispers didn't do it for me.  By all means though, I encourage people to see it because these are just my opinions and as I've seen and read, a lot of people have found it to be their cup of tea.  All the showings at Landmark Sunshine (theater in NYC) were sold out, the hype is very large for this one so I'm expecting this to get a wider release sooner than the planned July date. 
There's a lot of parallels to what happened before humans were walking the earth, but everything is just hammered in over and over that it gets tedious and boring after a while.  Visually, it's stunning.. but the story is terrible and there's little to no character development or so I thought, at least.  I didn't feel any connection to any of the characters.

Enjoy it though man, maybe you'll love it!

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

frown.gif

Word?
Just how I felt man, I was really looking forward to it all year when I found out it was finally going to be released after years of being made and edited.  Just the shots of nature with subtle whispers didn't do it for me.  By all means though, I encourage people to see it because these are just my opinions and as I've seen and read, a lot of people have found it to be their cup of tea.  All the showings at Landmark Sunshine (theater in NYC) were sold out, the hype is very large for this one so I'm expecting this to get a wider release sooner than the planned July date. 
There's a lot of parallels to what happened before humans were walking the earth, but everything is just hammered in over and over that it gets tedious and boring after a while.  Visually, it's stunning.. but the story is terrible and there's little to no character development or so I thought, at least.  I didn't feel any connection to any of the characters.

Enjoy it though man, maybe you'll love it!

I to was anticipating this movie a lot and even left work to catch it at the Arc light. It was actually the first time I watched a movie alone and I didn't care because I feel like his movies are meant to be watched alone. Anyway I'm honestly torn about this movie. I don't know if I consider it "amazing" or "terrible"I feel like there was no real cohesiveness due to the sheer scope of what he was trying to convey. The movie was shot brilliantly but I'm not a fan of some of the angles and some of the ways he set up some of the shots. I feel and was taught, that film is setting up the most beautiful images with motion successively with cohesiveness and I just wasn't feeling it. "The thin Red Line" is one of my favorite movies of all time because he had that deep dialogue set around a more cohesive and traditional set of shots and story telling. This movie really has me torn and it's a movie that has to be watched multiple times. One thing as a film maker that I was uncomfortable with as an audience member is that I wanted the movie to end. Whenever your audience is anticipating the experience being over then you haven't fully immersed them in your world. I dunno it absolutely is NOT for everyone. You will not like this movie if you have a short attention span or you get bored easily!!!!

I to was anticipating this movie a lot and even left work to catch it at the Arc light. It was actually the first time I watched a movie alone and I didn't care because I feel like his movies are meant to be watched alone. Anyway I'm honestly torn about this movie. I don't know if I consider it "amazing" or "terrible"I feel like there was no real cohesiveness due to the sheer scope of what he was trying to convey. The movie was shot brilliantly but I'm not a fan of some of the angles and some of the ways he set up some of the shots. I feel and was taught, that film is setting up the most beautiful images with motion successively with cohesiveness and I just wasn't feeling it. "The thin Red Line" is one of my favorite movies of all time because he had that deep dialogue set around a more cohesive and traditional set of shots and story telling. This movie really has me torn and it's a movie that has to be watched multiple times. One thing as a film maker that I was uncomfortable with as an audience member is that I wanted the movie to end. Whenever your audience is anticipating the experience being over then you haven't fully immersed them in your world. I dunno it absolutely is NOT for everyone. You will not like this movie if you have a short attention span or you get bored easily!!!!

man i just seen this movie is down to two time slots at one of the theaters here...i remember when i first saw the preview i was interested in checking it out...now I dunno looking at these last posts about it.

did it ever fully release or what cuz i totally forgot all about it...

man i just seen this movie is down to two time slots at one of the theaters here...i remember when i first saw the preview i was interested in checking it out...now I dunno looking at these last posts about it.

did it ever fully release or what cuz i totally forgot all about it...

Back
Top Bottom