The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2010-2011 VOL. Premier league, La Liga, Serie A & Bundesliga

I gotta disagree man. Yaya Toure is way better than Song and Fletcher. I dont know about Essien though. I'm not sure if Yaya is top 5-10 at his position in the world but he's certainly one of the top 5 in the Premiership. This season Fabregas hasnt lived up to his standards. Fabregas at 50% is still a beast but he hasnt been as good for us as he's been in previous years. I'd still take Fabregas over Yaya but as of right now Yaya has been City's best midfielder and Nasri's been our best midfielder. Fab's been too injured and inconsistent this season to be in the discussion for best Premiership midfielder of this season.

Kolo Toure might be in the top 5-10 CBs in the Premiership but it's so hard to judge this guy due to his recent inconsistency. Very good up until 2008, has 2-3 disappointing seasons in a row but has been much better this season.

I think the point of the new Fair Play regulations is to prevent clubs from making it rain in the transfer market. As long as City complete most of their shopping this summer they should be fine. Their wage bill shouldnt be an issue since they'll likely have little trouble covering that cost. It'd be spending 100+ million on transfers on top of your wage bill and other expenses that would put City in trouble...thats why they're fast tracking their spending now so they can "balance their books" by 2012. Since they likely wont be spending as much money after this summer they shouldnt have much trouble covering their costs and abiding by UEFA's new guidelines.

Being an Arsenal fan is beyond frustrating. The club's only big money transfer in recent years was Arshavin and he was brought in because the club were at risk of missing the CL. Since then we've built the squad up of players not good enough like Almunia, as well as cheap buys and youth players. I know we spent like 30 mill combined on Koscielny, Vermalen and Squillaci but the funds to buy those players were raised from selling players like Toure, Adebayor, Eduardo, etc. Yeah, the clubs financial model is amazing but dont go telling us that Wenger has money to spend only for the club to keep the money in their pockets year after year. Right now we could use another CB (Vermalen might be out for the season) as well as some cover for Song or Wilshere (Diaby + Denilson arent good enough) but chances are we're gonna fall short at the end of the season with the squad we have and Wenger will just bemoan injuries, bad luck, refereeing decisions and excessive spending by other clubs. I look at our team this season compared to the last 5 years and I see we have a deeper squad but some of our players arent good enough and the manager and the players lack the killer instinct and hunger to be champions.

Yaya Toure may not be a top 5 CM at this point in his career at the age of 27, but he's having a GREAT year in the EPL displaying his versatility to defend/track back while also help counter attack and create for his side offensively. Toure's football IQ has been off the charts thus far through 22 league games. He is way better than Fletcher in my opinion and I like Alex Song's future, but Yaya is having the better season hands down. I also like what Arsenal is doing allowing Song the freedom to roam and advance up the pitch. Much like Toure, Song is no longer JUST a CDM limited to helping the back 4. Essien is another story, an extremely well-rounded CM with all the talent in the world but the past year has negatively showcased injury and lack of chemistry with his fellow midfielders Lampard, Ramires, and Obi Mikel. Plus he made a bonehead challenge against Aston Villa that led to an Ashley Young PK. 
Hopefully Bridge is sold in this transfer window. Are you guys sold on Kolarov as the first-choice LB?

I'll reiterate: Mancini is a good manager in my eyes. The conservative scheme and strong defensive organization may not be fun to watch, but City is winning games and Hart, Kompany, Richards, and De Jong seem to be improving under the Italian. As I mentioned earlier, draws to Arsenal and Man U. aren't the problem. It's the losses to Everton and Sunderland that may very well cost City a chance at winning the league. Mancini has never experienced much trouble in domestic play, it's European matches that becomes his Kryptonite if you will. Let's keep in mind today's match was at Emirates Stadium against an Arsenal side that was riding momentum over a big win against Chelsea. Fabregas and Nasri were connecting well with precise passes prior to the match against City, and Walcott seemingly found his stride/pace. That coupled with injuries to key players such as Super Mario and David Silva, forcing Jo into the starting 11 left Mancini with his hands tied a bit. Why risk conceding with limited offensive firepower against the Gunners who have title aspirations? City instead kept pace with United two points back with 2 more games played and a shot to take 3 points in February at Old Trafford. 

As for Chelsea I can openly admit they were my pick to win the EPL again this year. The injury to Alex forcing Ivanovic to the CB position should have altered Chelsea's gameplan to a more cautious, defensively aware approach. From what I've seen instead of worrying about conceding goals Ancelotti expected the offense to continue scoring a ridiculous amount of goals a game and carry the team to victory. Since the goals stopped coming in bunches from Drogba, Kalou, Malouda, and Anelka, their defense has been unable to defend well enough and keep clean sheets for their offense to come around again. Kakuta is still very raw and I wouldn't bank of him and Sturridge being able to replace Drogba and Anelka just yet. I don't quite understand why Bosingwa wasn't the first-choice RB all season long over Ferreira. He's better defensively which isn't saying much and can help push up on the attack offensively. The Blues' problems started at Anfield in Fernando Torres' awakening. Their skipper John Terry has not had a stellar season for them compounding the problem defensively. Ashley Cole has also had bad moments, that's two key fixtures in your back 4 that you would expect to anchor the defense on a regular basis. They let up 3 goals apiece to Arsenal, Aston Villa, and Sunderland. Chances of retaining their domestic title are slim to none, but any sense of pride gives them a possibility to somewhat reedem the 2010-2011 campaign. Chelsea has Liverpool, United, City, and Spurs at Stamford Bridge plus another match against United at Old Trafford. In theory if they manage to win out, it's not impossible that they'd be able to make up those 9 points. If Ancelotti even gets a chance, he MUST find the best combination between his four very good midfielders. I thought maybe Frank Lampard could have a Steven Gerrard-like effect on his teammates but events thus far have proven otherwise.

Carlos Tevez, I'm glad a Gunners fan can openly admit that about Cesc Fabregas. People don't want to admit it but this hasn't been close to top form for the Spanish international. However, I do like what I saw from him against Birmingham City. I wonder if the Madrid and Barca rumors in particular are getting to his head. Also, I'd be very worried if Vermaelen is indeed out for the entire season. That's a big loss for Arsenal leaving Koscielny and Djourou to man the middle 
sick.gif

Lastly off the top of my head the only clear CBs in the EPL better than Kolo Toure are Vidic, Ferdinand, Vermaelen (when healthy obviously), Terry (not based on this season), and Alex (arguable). I'm sure I might be missing a couple names but the point is he's definitely in the conversation for top CBs in the EPL. I would venture a guess that perhaps the presence of his younger brother could attribute to the resurgence. 

Yaya Toure may not be a top 5 CM at this point in his career at the age of 27, but he's having a GREAT year in the EPL displaying his versatility to defend/track back while also help counter attack and create for his side offensively. Toure's football IQ has been off the charts thus far through 22 league games. He is way better than Fletcher in my opinion and I like Alex Song's future, but Yaya is having the better season hands down. I also like what Arsenal is doing allowing Song the freedom to roam and advance up the pitch. Much like Toure, Song is no longer JUST a CDM limited to helping the back 4. Essien is another story, an extremely well-rounded CM with all the talent in the world but the past year has negatively showcased injury and lack of chemistry with his fellow midfielders Lampard, Ramires, and Obi Mikel. Plus he made a bonehead challenge against Aston Villa that led to an Ashley Young PK. 
Hopefully Bridge is sold in this transfer window. Are you guys sold on Kolarov as the first-choice LB?

I'll reiterate: Mancini is a good manager in my eyes. The conservative scheme and strong defensive organization may not be fun to watch, but City is winning games and Hart, Kompany, Richards, and De Jong seem to be improving under the Italian. As I mentioned earlier, draws to Arsenal and Man U. aren't the problem. It's the losses to Everton and Sunderland that may very well cost City a chance at winning the league. Mancini has never experienced much trouble in domestic play, it's European matches that becomes his Kryptonite if you will. Let's keep in mind today's match was at Emirates Stadium against an Arsenal side that was riding momentum over a big win against Chelsea. Fabregas and Nasri were connecting well with precise passes prior to the match against City, and Walcott seemingly found his stride/pace. That coupled with injuries to key players such as Super Mario and David Silva, forcing Jo into the starting 11 left Mancini with his hands tied a bit. Why risk conceding with limited offensive firepower against the Gunners who have title aspirations? City instead kept pace with United two points back with 2 more games played and a shot to take 3 points in February at Old Trafford. 

As for Chelsea I can openly admit they were my pick to win the EPL again this year. The injury to Alex forcing Ivanovic to the CB position should have altered Chelsea's gameplan to a more cautious, defensively aware approach. From what I've seen instead of worrying about conceding goals Ancelotti expected the offense to continue scoring a ridiculous amount of goals a game and carry the team to victory. Since the goals stopped coming in bunches from Drogba, Kalou, Malouda, and Anelka, their defense has been unable to defend well enough and keep clean sheets for their offense to come around again. Kakuta is still very raw and I wouldn't bank of him and Sturridge being able to replace Drogba and Anelka just yet. I don't quite understand why Bosingwa wasn't the first-choice RB all season long over Ferreira. He's better defensively which isn't saying much and can help push up on the attack offensively. The Blues' problems started at Anfield in Fernando Torres' awakening. Their skipper John Terry has not had a stellar season for them compounding the problem defensively. Ashley Cole has also had bad moments, that's two key fixtures in your back 4 that you would expect to anchor the defense on a regular basis. They let up 3 goals apiece to Arsenal, Aston Villa, and Sunderland. Chances of retaining their domestic title are slim to none, but any sense of pride gives them a possibility to somewhat reedem the 2010-2011 campaign. Chelsea has Liverpool, United, City, and Spurs at Stamford Bridge plus another match against United at Old Trafford. In theory if they manage to win out, it's not impossible that they'd be able to make up those 9 points. If Ancelotti even gets a chance, he MUST find the best combination between his four very good midfielders. I thought maybe Frank Lampard could have a Steven Gerrard-like effect on his teammates but events thus far have proven otherwise.

Carlos Tevez, I'm glad a Gunners fan can openly admit that about Cesc Fabregas. People don't want to admit it but this hasn't been close to top form for the Spanish international. However, I do like what I saw from him against Birmingham City. I wonder if the Madrid and Barca rumors in particular are getting to his head. Also, I'd be very worried if Vermaelen is indeed out for the entire season. That's a big loss for Arsenal leaving Koscielny and Djourou to man the middle 
sick.gif

Lastly off the top of my head the only clear CBs in the EPL better than Kolo Toure are Vidic, Ferdinand, Vermaelen (when healthy obviously), Terry (not based on this season), and Alex (arguable). I'm sure I might be missing a couple names but the point is he's definitely in the conversation for top CBs in the EPL. I would venture a guess that perhaps the presence of his younger brother could attribute to the resurgence. 

I like Djourou, I'd be pretty satisfied with him and Vermaelen. Koscielny is like riding a roller coaster, he has good games and then just makes awful mistakes, especially when paired with Squillaci. I think you could also consider Gary Cahill, Brede Hangeland, Matthew Upson, and Jamie Carragher in the same league as Toure. I'm not saying he's not good, he is, but I personally wouldn't consider him "world class"

I like Djourou, I'd be pretty satisfied with him and Vermaelen. Koscielny is like riding a roller coaster, he has good games and then just makes awful mistakes, especially when paired with Squillaci. I think you could also consider Gary Cahill, Brede Hangeland, Matthew Upson, and Jamie Carragher in the same league as Toure. I'm not saying he's not good, he is, but I personally wouldn't consider him "world class"

As an Arsenal supporter I think injuries have hurt Cesc for much of the season. He has not been top form whatsoever but he has had decent performances and still an important player. As far as Yaya goes he has had a great season. I think it is hard to compare midfielders. Yaya and Essien are different form Nasri and Fab. Even though all 4 play in the center(Not always for Nasri but he drifts into the center most of the time) of the park their roles are a little different. I think Yaya and Nasri have been sensational so far this year. I still think Arsenal has a shot to win the title, I really do. This holiday period has impressed me. I think we were unlucky to not get 3 against City but that *@#@ happens. Utd is far from perfect and IF Arsenal can take care of business then will be in the thick of it until the end. I don't remember the last time we have been so deep and if Vermaelen can come back fit we could be formitable. I would not mind a Djrourou and Vermaelen partnership if they get on the same page. I don't know why people have been hating on Djourou he has been great this year. Squillaci is trash and Koscielny is alright but I would rather him not be first choice. Sagna has been Sagna and Clichy hasn't been great but I hope he can come back around to his old form. As long as I have been on NT in the soccer threads Tevez has been down on Arsenal so I am not surprised by him at all
laugh.gif

As an Arsenal supporter I think injuries have hurt Cesc for much of the season. He has not been top form whatsoever but he has had decent performances and still an important player. As far as Yaya goes he has had a great season. I think it is hard to compare midfielders. Yaya and Essien are different form Nasri and Fab. Even though all 4 play in the center(Not always for Nasri but he drifts into the center most of the time) of the park their roles are a little different. I think Yaya and Nasri have been sensational so far this year. I still think Arsenal has a shot to win the title, I really do. This holiday period has impressed me. I think we were unlucky to not get 3 against City but that *@#@ happens. Utd is far from perfect and IF Arsenal can take care of business then will be in the thick of it until the end. I don't remember the last time we have been so deep and if Vermaelen can come back fit we could be formitable. I would not mind a Djrourou and Vermaelen partnership if they get on the same page. I don't know why people have been hating on Djourou he has been great this year. Squillaci is trash and Koscielny is alright but I would rather him not be first choice. Sagna has been Sagna and Clichy hasn't been great but I hope he can come back around to his old form. As long as I have been on NT in the soccer threads Tevez has been down on Arsenal so I am not surprised by him at all
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

^ Speaking of Cahill, does Chelsea prefer him over David Luiz? 

He's def. will be cheaper than Luiz but I thought Chelsea had their eyes on Luiz for a minute.  They might just splurge and get him now.  Wenger has to bring a CB in if Vermaelen can't get right.  I think he even knows that.

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

^ Speaking of Cahill, does Chelsea prefer him over David Luiz? 

He's def. will be cheaper than Luiz but I thought Chelsea had their eyes on Luiz for a minute.  They might just splurge and get him now.  Wenger has to bring a CB in if Vermaelen can't get right.  I think he even knows that.

ChampCruThik:

Good points but I feel like Cesc has been off dude to the recurring injury to his hamstring and being rushed back too soon each time not his desire to be elsewhere.
See reaction after Nasri scored on over the weekend...
cesccel-o.gif

He's definitely not at his best this year and I hope he can get back to it soon (and stay healthy *touches wood*)

As for the back CB partnership I think today's pairing is good (not world class obviously but good) its when they throw that fool Squillaci on the pitch is when we have huge problems at the back. Kos and DJ have seemed to have settled well together but as a top club in Europe we certainly do better. Vermaelen will obviously help with that...hopefully soon. Wenger said if TV doesn't come back here in January he'll look to buy someone during the transfer period, but the question is who should be go after and would if they would still be around by the time we make the decision buy.  

It will definitely be an interesting few weeks to see if we can stay close to United or if they will continue to pull away either by us slipping up or from them keeping the points coming in game after game.

ChampCruThik:

Good points but I feel like Cesc has been off dude to the recurring injury to his hamstring and being rushed back too soon each time not his desire to be elsewhere.
See reaction after Nasri scored on over the weekend...
cesccel-o.gif

He's definitely not at his best this year and I hope he can get back to it soon (and stay healthy *touches wood*)

As for the back CB partnership I think today's pairing is good (not world class obviously but good) its when they throw that fool Squillaci on the pitch is when we have huge problems at the back. Kos and DJ have seemed to have settled well together but as a top club in Europe we certainly do better. Vermaelen will obviously help with that...hopefully soon. Wenger said if TV doesn't come back here in January he'll look to buy someone during the transfer period, but the question is who should be go after and would if they would still be around by the time we make the decision buy.  

It will definitely be an interesting few weeks to see if we can stay close to United or if they will continue to pull away either by us slipping up or from them keeping the points coming in game after game.

When at 100% Fabregas is the best midfielder in the Premiership period. He's been playing an attacking role for us in the last 2-3 seasons but he was also an unbelievable box-to-box midfielder when Wenger first awarded him with a starters role with the club. It's no wonder that Barcelona want him badly...he'd fit their system perfectly and his versatility would prove extremely useful for them. I think its inevitable he joins Barca and I'm surprised it didnt happen this past summer. With Nasri playing extremely well for the club one has to wonder if Arsenal will eventually see Fabregas as expendable. He remains by far the most important player on the club but if he remains persistent about a move (like so many other players have been in the football world in recent years) then it'll be tough for the club to keep him around against his will. One thing is for sure though, Fabregas wont come cheap for Barca and its either going to take a huge sum of cash or cash + some talented youngsters for Barca to pry him away from us. At the moment I do not think anyone should question Fabregas' commitment to the club. Whenever on the pitch he gives maximum effort but I think the injuries and sporadic playing time have hurt his consistency this season. Will he ask for a transfer once again at season's end? It'll probably depends on whether or not he thinks the club can seriously compete for trophies next season. You cant blame the guy for wanting to return home and for wanting to play for his boyhood club (which happens to be arguably the best club in the world at the moment).

Djourou has actually been good for us this season. Koscielny has been mad inconsistent and the Kos + Squillaci combo has been abysmal.

This was posted on another site last week which tells you what most Arsenal fans have seen with their very own eyes this season...Kos + Squillaci have not worked out well together...

individual Conceded/Games - points dropped
S- Squillaci 17/14 -18
K - Koscielny 18/13 -20
D - Djourou 3/6-0
V -Varmalen 2/3 -2
A -A.Song 0/1-0

Partners Conceded/Games - points dropped
VK 2/2 -2
VA 0/1
KS 15/10 -18
DS 2/5 -0
DK 1/1 -0

Liverpool   1 - 1   Arsenal     VK
Arsenal   6 - 0   Blackpool   VA
Blackburn Rovers   1 - 2   Arsenal VK
Arsenal   4 - 1   Bolton Wanderers KS
Sunderland   1 - 1   Arsenal KS
Arsenal   2 - 3   West Bromwich Albion KS
Chelsea   2 - 0   Arsenal KS
Arsenal   2 - 1   Birmingham DS
Manchester City   0 - 3   Arsenal DS
Arsenal   1 - 0   West Ham United KS
Arsenal   0 - 1   Newcastle United KS
Wolverhampton Wanderers   0 - 2   Arsenal DS
Everton   1 - 2   Arsenal DS
Arsenal   2 - 3   Tottenham Hotspur KS
Aston Villa   2 - 4   Arsenal KS
Arsenal   2 - 1   Fulham KS & DS
Manchester United   1 - 0   Arsenal KS
Arsenal   3 - 1   Chelsea DK
Wigan Athletic   2 - 2   Arsenal KS

When at 100% Fabregas is the best midfielder in the Premiership period. He's been playing an attacking role for us in the last 2-3 seasons but he was also an unbelievable box-to-box midfielder when Wenger first awarded him with a starters role with the club. It's no wonder that Barcelona want him badly...he'd fit their system perfectly and his versatility would prove extremely useful for them. I think its inevitable he joins Barca and I'm surprised it didnt happen this past summer. With Nasri playing extremely well for the club one has to wonder if Arsenal will eventually see Fabregas as expendable. He remains by far the most important player on the club but if he remains persistent about a move (like so many other players have been in the football world in recent years) then it'll be tough for the club to keep him around against his will. One thing is for sure though, Fabregas wont come cheap for Barca and its either going to take a huge sum of cash or cash + some talented youngsters for Barca to pry him away from us. At the moment I do not think anyone should question Fabregas' commitment to the club. Whenever on the pitch he gives maximum effort but I think the injuries and sporadic playing time have hurt his consistency this season. Will he ask for a transfer once again at season's end? It'll probably depends on whether or not he thinks the club can seriously compete for trophies next season. You cant blame the guy for wanting to return home and for wanting to play for his boyhood club (which happens to be arguably the best club in the world at the moment).

Djourou has actually been good for us this season. Koscielny has been mad inconsistent and the Kos + Squillaci combo has been abysmal.

This was posted on another site last week which tells you what most Arsenal fans have seen with their very own eyes this season...Kos + Squillaci have not worked out well together...

individual Conceded/Games - points dropped
S- Squillaci 17/14 -18
K - Koscielny 18/13 -20
D - Djourou 3/6-0
V -Varmalen 2/3 -2
A -A.Song 0/1-0

Partners Conceded/Games - points dropped
VK 2/2 -2
VA 0/1
KS 15/10 -18
DS 2/5 -0
DK 1/1 -0

Liverpool   1 - 1   Arsenal     VK
Arsenal   6 - 0   Blackpool   VA
Blackburn Rovers   1 - 2   Arsenal VK
Arsenal   4 - 1   Bolton Wanderers KS
Sunderland   1 - 1   Arsenal KS
Arsenal   2 - 3   West Bromwich Albion KS
Chelsea   2 - 0   Arsenal KS
Arsenal   2 - 1   Birmingham DS
Manchester City   0 - 3   Arsenal DS
Arsenal   1 - 0   West Ham United KS
Arsenal   0 - 1   Newcastle United KS
Wolverhampton Wanderers   0 - 2   Arsenal DS
Everton   1 - 2   Arsenal DS
Arsenal   2 - 3   Tottenham Hotspur KS
Aston Villa   2 - 4   Arsenal KS
Arsenal   2 - 1   Fulham KS & DS
Manchester United   1 - 0   Arsenal KS
Arsenal   3 - 1   Chelsea DK
Wigan Athletic   2 - 2   Arsenal KS

what would fabregas' transfer fee look like........60M Eur.?

there were rumors of barca looking to sell a player or two to clear some debt. not sure how true that is but if so they can't be looking to sign cesc right?

there were rumors of barca looking to sell a player or two to clear some debt. not sure how true that is but if so they can't be looking to sign cesc right?

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

barca loaded thire pockets with their recent shirt sponsor deal with that qatari company...you just know it would take some exorbitant fees to get barca to take their first shirt sponsor ever, and those qataris dont play when it comes to money and soccer (see world cup 2022). theres been speculation that barca took the sponsor not just to alleviate debt, but to bring in a big name reinforcement (cesc). on top of that, barca might have a few extra players they can sell with the consistent production their cantera has provided. 
but they still won't be getting rid of that debt anytime soon. 

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

barca loaded thire pockets with their recent shirt sponsor deal with that qatari company...you just know it would take some exorbitant fees to get barca to take their first shirt sponsor ever, and those qataris dont play when it comes to money and soccer (see world cup 2022). theres been speculation that barca took the sponsor not just to alleviate debt, but to bring in a big name reinforcement (cesc). on top of that, barca might have a few extra players they can sell with the consistent production their cantera has provided. 
but they still won't be getting rid of that debt anytime soon. 

Back
Top Bottom