The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2010-2011 VOL. Premier league, La Liga, Serie A & Bundesliga

Messi: Great season, bad World Cup
Iniesta: Good season, great World Cup
Xavi: Great season, great World Cup

Winner: Xavi

True.  It really sucks the world cup is held in such high regard.  Its not even the best tournament football wise (Champions League), and player performance is so dependent on how much they played in the reg season.   

True.  It really sucks the world cup is held in such high regard.  Its not even the best tournament football wise (Champions League), and player performance is so dependent on how much they played in the reg season.   

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I wouldn't say Messi had a BAD World Cup. He did generate a lot of shots/scoring opportunities and was unlucky not to score the whole tournament. Plus the poor result against Germany was more Maradona's "fault" if anybody's for leaving Cambiasso and Zanetti off the squad and deciding to go all offensive. 

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I wouldn't say Messi had a BAD World Cup. He did generate a lot of shots/scoring opportunities and was unlucky not to score the whole tournament. Plus the poor result against Germany was more Maradona's "fault" if anybody's for leaving Cambiasso and Zanetti off the squad and deciding to go all offensive. 

30t6p3b.gif

popularity contest

Originally Posted by BlackMomo

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Carlos Tevez, i gotta disagree with you. I don't think the Cesc is the best midfielder in the EPL at all. There hasnt been a season where you can say he clearly was the best midfielder in the league. I also find him to be very injury prone. Also i think the Barcelona dont really need him at all and he would be a waste of money since Arsenal would want like 40 million pounds for him.
Being a Chelsea fan is killing me this season. Hopefully we can sign a CB in this transfer window. Losing Carvalho and having Lampard injuried for so long really hurt us. I dont think we can win the league but i still think if we get our act together we can finish in 2nd or 3rd place. The same thing almost happened to us in the 08-09 season when everyone ruled us out of the season in febuary but we came 2pts of winning the league and a pk from winning the champions league
Who do you think is the best CM in the Premiership then?

Typical Arsenal
30t6p3b.gif

If we are to believe reports, Dzeko didnt even want to join City. What a great club they have...a bunch of players that dont even want to be there, only on the team for the cheques
laugh.gif
Silva, Van Der Vaart are both playing better this season in the past Lampard and Gerrard have both played better. I dont think there has been one season were Cesc could have been named #1. Most Arsenal fans i know wouldnt mind him being sold if it meean them getting 45mill and being able to spend it on getting new players. I also think it will also just be more bad buisness for Barcelona to try to get him.

Dude, Silva isnt even a CM.

Lampard is not better than Fabregas at anything and Gerrard is not as good as Fabregas. Lampard had a better statistical season last year but he was also playing for a club that was trashing opponents regularly. Fabregas had more goals and assists than Gerrard last season despite playing less matches. Not only that but if you ignore the stats and compare the attributes of these 3 players, Fabregas comes out on top. Vision, passing, crossing, tackling, etc...Fabregas is better than these guys.

If you want to look at this season alone, all 3 players have struggled for various reasons including injuries. I do not think Fabregas has been the best CM in the Premiership this season so far but he's still had a better season than Lampard (injured most of the year) and Gerrard.

Anyways, I'm shocked at Messi's unprecedented WPOY win in a WC-year. It's too bad voters didnt take a more holistic approach in previous WC years. I personally dont think Cannavaro should've won it in 06 or Ronaldo in 02 or Zidane in 98. Atleast in 94 Romario had a beastly club season and then went on to win the WC. The winners since then were not the best overall performers for those years.

I wouldnt say Messi had a bad WC, considering that he assisted on about 5 Argentina goals. He wasnt a factor vs. Germany but I think it was in large part due to Maradona's decision to opt with 1 CM in that match
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

I agree that Xavi should've won it. He had an excellent club and international season. If this was a prior WC year, Xavi, Iniesta or Villa definitely would've won it and Messi probably would've finished 3rd or 4th in voting.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Carlos Tevez, i gotta disagree with you. I don't think the Cesc is the best midfielder in the EPL at all. There hasnt been a season where you can say he clearly was the best midfielder in the league. I also find him to be very injury prone. Also i think the Barcelona dont really need him at all and he would be a waste of money since Arsenal would want like 40 million pounds for him.
Being a Chelsea fan is killing me this season. Hopefully we can sign a CB in this transfer window. Losing Carvalho and having Lampard injuried for so long really hurt us. I dont think we can win the league but i still think if we get our act together we can finish in 2nd or 3rd place. The same thing almost happened to us in the 08-09 season when everyone ruled us out of the season in febuary but we came 2pts of winning the league and a pk from winning the champions league
Who do you think is the best CM in the Premiership then?

Typical Arsenal
30t6p3b.gif

If we are to believe reports, Dzeko didnt even want to join City. What a great club they have...a bunch of players that dont even want to be there, only on the team for the cheques
laugh.gif
Silva, Van Der Vaart are both playing better this season in the past Lampard and Gerrard have both played better. I dont think there has been one season were Cesc could have been named #1. Most Arsenal fans i know wouldnt mind him being sold if it meean them getting 45mill and being able to spend it on getting new players. I also think it will also just be more bad buisness for Barcelona to try to get him.

Dude, Silva isnt even a CM.

Lampard is not better than Fabregas at anything and Gerrard is not as good as Fabregas. Lampard had a better statistical season last year but he was also playing for a club that was trashing opponents regularly. Fabregas had more goals and assists than Gerrard last season despite playing less matches. Not only that but if you ignore the stats and compare the attributes of these 3 players, Fabregas comes out on top. Vision, passing, crossing, tackling, etc...Fabregas is better than these guys.

If you want to look at this season alone, all 3 players have struggled for various reasons including injuries. I do not think Fabregas has been the best CM in the Premiership this season so far but he's still had a better season than Lampard (injured most of the year) and Gerrard.

Anyways, I'm shocked at Messi's unprecedented WPOY win in a WC-year. It's too bad voters didnt take a more holistic approach in previous WC years. I personally dont think Cannavaro should've won it in 06 or Ronaldo in 02 or Zidane in 98. Atleast in 94 Romario had a beastly club season and then went on to win the WC. The winners since then were not the best overall performers for those years.

I wouldnt say Messi had a bad WC, considering that he assisted on about 5 Argentina goals. He wasnt a factor vs. Germany but I think it was in large part due to Maradona's decision to opt with 1 CM in that match
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

I agree that Xavi should've won it. He had an excellent club and international season. If this was a prior WC year, Xavi, Iniesta or Villa definitely would've won it and Messi probably would've finished 3rd or 4th in voting.

True. It really sucks the world cup is held in such high regard. Its not even the best tournament football wise (Champions League), and player performance is so dependent on how much they played in the reg season.

I guess it isn't held in high regard after all. Messi won. And in case you forgot, Barca didn't win CL this season.

And World Cup is (or should I say was) held in high regard because it comes once every four years. Bad teams do exist in the World Cup in the initial stages, but the same is true about Champions League and Barcelona's phenomenal group opponents: FC Copenhagen, Panathinaikos and Rubin Kazan.

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

0 goals scored for a player that is supposed to be the new Maradona/Pele/GOAT = BAD World Cup. He's a phenomenal player, but it would do a great deal for his rep if he could prove that he isn't a product of a system and that he can play well outside of Barcelona.

In the end, Messi deserved it, but he wasn't the most deserving.

True. It really sucks the world cup is held in such high regard. Its not even the best tournament football wise (Champions League), and player performance is so dependent on how much they played in the reg season.

I guess it isn't held in high regard after all. Messi won. And in case you forgot, Barca didn't win CL this season.

And World Cup is (or should I say was) held in high regard because it comes once every four years. Bad teams do exist in the World Cup in the initial stages, but the same is true about Champions League and Barcelona's phenomenal group opponents: FC Copenhagen, Panathinaikos and Rubin Kazan.

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

0 goals scored for a player that is supposed to be the new Maradona/Pele/GOAT = BAD World Cup. He's a phenomenal player, but it would do a great deal for his rep if he could prove that he isn't a product of a system and that he can play well outside of Barcelona.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

The Champions League, like the world cup, doesn't start until the group stage is done.  Certainly, Barca's CL group was weak, but playing home and away legs is a tougher prospect than a one off game. 
As for the world cup being held in high regard, our good friend Septic has ruined it like Platini has ruined the champions league. 

Its really hard to say that a guy who scored two goals every three games wasn't most deserving.  But these awards tend to be irrelevant when you look at titles a player has.  I can guarantee you a guy like Paul Scholes wouldn't trade any title for this award.   

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

The Champions League, like the world cup, doesn't start until the group stage is done.  Certainly, Barca's CL group was weak, but playing home and away legs is a tougher prospect than a one off game. 
As for the world cup being held in high regard, our good friend Septic has ruined it like Platini has ruined the champions league. 

Its really hard to say that a guy who scored two goals every three games wasn't most deserving.  But these awards tend to be irrelevant when you look at titles a player has.  I can guarantee you a guy like Paul Scholes wouldn't trade any title for this award.   

Back
Top Bottom