The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2010-2011 VOL. Premier league, La Liga, Serie A & Bundesliga

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
Sooo were just going to lose to bottom dwelling Championship sides now? Wooooow and that was a strong team we put out too.

If it wasnt for Cesc's late equalizer against Leeds we'd would have lost back to back games to teams in a lower division.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

SMFH we need to get things together....FAST!!!

This Barca game is rather entertaining, Betis playing them positive unlike most teams.

Messi's chip shot
sick.gif
pimp.gif

Edit: This fool has the hat-trick
laugh.gif
sick.gif

This Barca game is rather entertaining, Betis playing them positive unlike most teams.

Messi's chip shot
sick.gif
pimp.gif

Edit: This fool has the hat-trick
laugh.gif
sick.gif

That cross for the Barca's 5th goal was just something else.
eek.gif
eek.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
  Anyone who missed it needs to check it out. 

Seeing Arsenal lose today like they did today and seeing Barca play like this makes me scared for February. 
30t6p3b.gif

That cross for the Barca's 5th goal was just something else.
eek.gif
eek.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
  Anyone who missed it needs to check it out. 

Seeing Arsenal lose today like they did today and seeing Barca play like this makes me scared for February. 
30t6p3b.gif

I was speaking about difficulty in winning the title, prestige is subjective. The world cup lost its prestige about two months ago IMO (air conditioned stadiums or playing it in winter).

YO sucks then. Air conditioned stadiums and playing in winter for one tournament somehow tarnishes the entire history of the World Cup and makes it lose its prestige? Wow, what a great argument. You should've said that it lost its prestige because they allowed the vuvuzelas.

So lets disregard the group stages of both tournaments. You still need to play seven games in the champs league as opposed to four in the world cup. I would argue winning a two leg tie is harder than winning a one-off.

I would argue the opposite. But in the end, there isn't much of a difference. But if there is a difference like you say, then winning the first round of the knockout stage in CL is tougher than winning the CL final?

Fact is, not one team has repeated in the Champions League proper, and the last to do it was Nottingham Forest when it was the European Cup (different format). Brazil and Italy, for example, have won the world cup twice in this time. Presumably, if it came around more often, we'd have several teams repeating champions. Certainly, winning the World cup is a big deal, don't get me wrong. But, if you've watched football for a very long time, you'd know the quality of the game is better in the European Cup/CL and the ease of winning the World Cup vs. the CL is greater.

LOL @ using an argument that no one has repeated in winning the CL (Milan in 89, 90?), but then mentioning a bunch of teams that haven't even repeated winning the WC. 1982 and 2006 falls under the same time? Hell, only 3 teams (Germany 1972-74, France 1998-00 & Spain 2008-10) have managed to win the World Cup and the European Cup next to each other, and I don't have to point out that the European Cup doesn't have powerhouses of Brazil and Argentina. And that's the whole friggin point: The World Cup doesn't come around more often. If the Champions League came once every four years then naturally it would be more prestigious because it would be four times as rare. How the hell is it harder to hit a target with four bullets in the clip than with just one? And if the Champions League has so much more talent, then how do you explain the 2004 final between Porto and AS Monaco? That's pretty much the equivalent of Mexico and Russia meeting in a World Cup final.

I was speaking about difficulty in winning the title, prestige is subjective. The world cup lost its prestige about two months ago IMO (air conditioned stadiums or playing it in winter).

YO sucks then. Air conditioned stadiums and playing in winter for one tournament somehow tarnishes the entire history of the World Cup and makes it lose its prestige? Wow, what a great argument. You should've said that it lost its prestige because they allowed the vuvuzelas.

So lets disregard the group stages of both tournaments. You still need to play seven games in the champs league as opposed to four in the world cup. I would argue winning a two leg tie is harder than winning a one-off.

I would argue the opposite. But in the end, there isn't much of a difference. But if there is a difference like you say, then winning the first round of the knockout stage in CL is tougher than winning the CL final?

Fact is, not one team has repeated in the Champions League proper, and the last to do it was Nottingham Forest when it was the European Cup (different format). Brazil and Italy, for example, have won the world cup twice in this time. Presumably, if it came around more often, we'd have several teams repeating champions. Certainly, winning the World cup is a big deal, don't get me wrong. But, if you've watched football for a very long time, you'd know the quality of the game is better in the European Cup/CL and the ease of winning the World Cup vs. the CL is greater.

LOL @ using an argument that no one has repeated in winning the CL (Milan in 89, 90?), but then mentioning a bunch of teams that haven't even repeated winning the WC. 1982 and 2006 falls under the same time? Hell, only 3 teams (Germany 1972-74, France 1998-00 & Spain 2008-10) have managed to win the World Cup and the European Cup next to each other, and I don't have to point out that the European Cup doesn't have powerhouses of Brazil and Argentina. And that's the whole friggin point: The World Cup doesn't come around more often. If the Champions League came once every four years then naturally it would be more prestigious because it would be four times as rare. How the hell is it harder to hit a target with four bullets in the clip than with just one? And if the Champions League has so much more talent, then how do you explain the 2004 final between Porto and AS Monaco? That's pretty much the equivalent of Mexico and Russia meeting in a World Cup final.

Originally Posted by tonton32

liverpool and arsenal...
eek.gif
sick.gif
tongue.gif
Really surprising.  Lucky for Arsenal its a two leg tie, so they'll have a chance to show their quality in the home leg and should still be favourites to go through.  Much harder for a weird upset that really goes against the grain in a two leg draw.  If this was a one off game, we'd be sitting here thinking Ipswich was better than Arsenal.

As for Blackpool, they're a very positive team in attack.  Their ground is hard to play at for many reasons.  Having been there myself, the facilities aren't exactly top notch.  Liverpool really need to get organized in the back.  You can tell that Carragher, as slow as he is, is a massive lynch pin.

Originally Posted by tonton32

liverpool and arsenal...
eek.gif
sick.gif
tongue.gif
Really surprising.  Lucky for Arsenal its a two leg tie, so they'll have a chance to show their quality in the home leg and should still be favourites to go through.  Much harder for a weird upset that really goes against the grain in a two leg draw.  If this was a one off game, we'd be sitting here thinking Ipswich was better than Arsenal.

As for Blackpool, they're a very positive team in attack.  Their ground is hard to play at for many reasons.  Having been there myself, the facilities aren't exactly top notch.  Liverpool really need to get organized in the back.  You can tell that Carragher, as slow as he is, is a massive lynch pin.

I respect Lionel Messi's talent, but does anyone else not like him?
Among the other critics of this year's Ballon d'Or festivities is Cristiano Ronaldo, basically said Iker Casillas should have been on the short-list of candidates. 

Among the other critics of this year's Ballon d'Or festivities is Cristiano Ronaldo, basically said Iker Casillas should have been on the short-list of candidates. 

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

Casillas split votes with Xavi, Iniesta and Villa. I think Xabi Alonso finished in the top 10 as well. Unlike other national teams, it's really hard to pinpoint who Spain's best player(s) are.

Anyone surprised by Arsenal's recent results hasnt been paying enough attention the last 5+ years. This year's team is not much different from previous editions except their may be some added depth in attack. Otherwise, the team is tactically undisciplined defensively, lacks depth in some positions, lacks quality in some positions and worst of all, have a stubborn manager that is unwilling to learn from his mistakes. Wenger said at the start of last season that it was the 5th year of his 5-year experiment and we're now at the halfway point of the 6th year of his failed experiment. Arsenal will still likely win the Carling Cup but no one gives a da.mn about that competition. The squad isnt good enough and the manager continues to kill the club with his unrelenting faith in the likes of Clichy, Denilson, Diaby, Bendtner, Rosicky, Vela, etc etc. Then you have new additions like Koscielny and Squillaci who have not panned out as expected yet and its no surprise the club has been wildly inconsistent this season. The sad thing is that some Arsenal fans will see a 2nd place Premiership finish as a sign of progress and will celebrate it as a massive moral victory.

The best play from today's Barca match was Iniesta's assist on the 5th goal. I've seen that tried a million times while playing pick-up soccer but it's never worked. Iniesta tries it once and it leads to a goal
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Liverpool are probably going to need atleast 1 more season after this one to compete amongst the top 5-6 again. Good job Benitez
30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

Casillas split votes with Xavi, Iniesta and Villa. I think Xabi Alonso finished in the top 10 as well. Unlike other national teams, it's really hard to pinpoint who Spain's best player(s) are.

Anyone surprised by Arsenal's recent results hasnt been paying enough attention the last 5+ years. This year's team is not much different from previous editions except their may be some added depth in attack. Otherwise, the team is tactically undisciplined defensively, lacks depth in some positions, lacks quality in some positions and worst of all, have a stubborn manager that is unwilling to learn from his mistakes. Wenger said at the start of last season that it was the 5th year of his 5-year experiment and we're now at the halfway point of the 6th year of his failed experiment. Arsenal will still likely win the Carling Cup but no one gives a da.mn about that competition. The squad isnt good enough and the manager continues to kill the club with his unrelenting faith in the likes of Clichy, Denilson, Diaby, Bendtner, Rosicky, Vela, etc etc. Then you have new additions like Koscielny and Squillaci who have not panned out as expected yet and its no surprise the club has been wildly inconsistent this season. The sad thing is that some Arsenal fans will see a 2nd place Premiership finish as a sign of progress and will celebrate it as a massive moral victory.

The best play from today's Barca match was Iniesta's assist on the 5th goal. I've seen that tried a million times while playing pick-up soccer but it's never worked. Iniesta tries it once and it leads to a goal
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Liverpool are probably going to need atleast 1 more season after this one to compete amongst the top 5-6 again. Good job Benitez
30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif

cant wait for this weekends matches! im expecting a tough battle vs spurs, but i got a feeling berba will impress.

oh and on a side note, wayne rooney's younger brother just got drafted to the mls.

2woj88n.jpg

cant wait for this weekends matches! im expecting a tough battle vs spurs, but i got a feeling berba will impress.

oh and on a side note, wayne rooney's younger brother just got drafted to the mls.

2woj88n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom