The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2010-2011 VOL. Premier league, La Liga, Serie A & Bundesliga

Originally Posted by Keepie Uppie

Originally Posted by xblaze23

Xavi Sneijder was robbed in my opinion.
yes Sneijder was robbed. If it wasnt a WC year i thought that Eto'o should have also been a finalist. I still have no idea how Sneijder wasnt

Originally Posted by Keepie Uppie

Originally Posted by xblaze23

Xavi Sneijder was robbed in my opinion.
yes Sneijder was robbed. If it wasnt a WC year i thought that Eto'o should have also been a finalist. I still have no idea how Sneijder wasnt

How was Sneijder robbed? Winning the CL > winning the WC? Maybe he was robbed of not being among the finalists, but not of actually winning the award.

Sneijder won Champions League
Xavi and Iniesta won the World Cup.

These are legit arguments (with the World Cup being a bigger argument). But I just can't see how a guy who's won neither is the most deserving, especially after a disappointing World Cup.

How was Sneijder robbed? Winning the CL > winning the WC? Maybe he was robbed of not being among the finalists, but not of actually winning the award.

These are legit arguments (with the World Cup being a bigger argument). But I just can't see how a guy who's won neither is the most deserving, especially after a disappointing World Cup.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Winning the CL > winning the WC? 
In my opinion it is.  Its next to impossible to retain this trophy.

Regardless, Sneijder isn't even in the equation here.  As good as he was last year, these three were better.  It means nothing at the end of the day though, when Sneijder looks at his Treble.  Like I said before, no Pro is trading any of their trophies for this award. 

Winning the CL > winning the WC? 
In my opinion it is.  Its next to impossible to retain this trophy.

Regardless, Sneijder isn't even in the equation here.  As good as he was last year, these three were better.  It means nothing at the end of the day though, when Sneijder looks at his Treble.  Like I said before, no Pro is trading any of their trophies for this award. 

I think sneijder was robbed because i felt he had a better overall year then the rest. Helped his club when the treble n his country advance to the finals of the WC

I think sneijder was robbed because i felt he had a better overall year then the rest. Helped his club when the treble n his country advance to the finals of the WC

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

Congrats to "The Special One" on COY 
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
He was tearing up at Sneijder's words.

well the argument for why he was robbed, to me, lies in how much of a pivotal role he played in leading his team (in his first year there mind you) to winning a treble, as well as leading his team to the world cup finals. lets not downplay the level of difficulty in winning a treble now. only 5 other teams in the history of the game have managed to win a UEFA champions league included treble - the fact that none of the treble winners were nominated alone is a robbery..and to add to his stock, he goes off to the world cup and receives the most man of the match awards (4), ties as the leading goal scorer with 5 goals, and is selected to stand among the top 11 players of the tournament. oh and prior to the WC, sneijder was voted midfielder of the year by UEFA....to me, all this is more than enough to qualify him as a legitimate winner. yet he wasnt even nominated = robbery.    

im not to bothered by it though. even if sneijder was the most deserving, i would of liked to see xavi win it. not to say that messi wasnt/isnt amazing, its just his WC performance didnt match the quality of his club play, which is why it made sense to have xavi, inesta, and sneijder as the nominees.

just my .02 
wink.gif

well the argument for why he was robbed, to me, lies in how much of a pivotal role he played in leading his team (in his first year there mind you) to winning a treble, as well as leading his team to the world cup finals. lets not downplay the level of difficulty in winning a treble now. only 5 other teams in the history of the game have managed to win a UEFA champions league included treble - the fact that none of the treble winners were nominated alone is a robbery..and to add to his stock, he goes off to the world cup and receives the most man of the match awards (4), ties as the leading goal scorer with 5 goals, and is selected to stand among the top 11 players of the tournament. oh and prior to the WC, sneijder was voted midfielder of the year by UEFA....to me, all this is more than enough to qualify him as a legitimate winner. yet he wasnt even nominated = robbery.    

im not to bothered by it though. even if sneijder was the most deserving, i would of liked to see xavi win it. not to say that messi wasnt/isnt amazing, its just his WC performance didnt match the quality of his club play, which is why it made sense to have xavi, inesta, and sneijder as the nominees.

just my .02 
wink.gif

Note: To get the english subtitles you need to turn captions on by pressing on the bottom right arrow(or triangle) icon

Note: To get the english subtitles you need to turn captions on by pressing on the bottom right arrow(or triangle) icon

Eto'o? This award wass handed out based on performances in the 09/10 season + WC. Eto'os been playing well this season but that wasnt a factor in the voting. Anyways, Eto'o was the 3rd best attacker on Inter last season (behind Sneijder and Milito), did nothing at the ACN, did nothing at the WC, and thats why he wasnt a serious WPOY candidate.

As for Messi winning it...I think most of us can agree he's the best player in the world and had a beastly season with Barca. On the other hand, Barca only won 1 title and Messi did not have a great WC.

Sneijder was the missing piece that Inter needed to win the CL and they also won 2 other trophies with Sneijder leading the charge. Then he went on to lead Holland to the WC finals and I believe he finished tied for the WC golden boot which is a remarkable achievement for a midfielder. Sneijder certainly isnt the best player in the world but was arguably the most valuable player in the sport last season. He definitely deserved more 1st place votes.

Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Casillas were bound to split votes with each other. Xavi was healthy all season and was great for club and country. Iniesta missed a lot of time due to injury but was huge at the WC. I think Xavi should've gotten more respect from voters but it seems like voters were undecided as to which Spanish player was the best. In the end it seems like Iniesta's WC winning goal weighed heavily in the minds of voters which is one of the reasons why Iniesta finished 2nd behind Messi.

Forlan also had a tremendous season for club and country however the Europa League is obviously a 2nd-tier event and ultimately Forlan and Uruguay fell 2-steps short at the WC.

Eto'o? This award wass handed out based on performances in the 09/10 season + WC. Eto'os been playing well this season but that wasnt a factor in the voting. Anyways, Eto'o was the 3rd best attacker on Inter last season (behind Sneijder and Milito), did nothing at the ACN, did nothing at the WC, and thats why he wasnt a serious WPOY candidate.

As for Messi winning it...I think most of us can agree he's the best player in the world and had a beastly season with Barca. On the other hand, Barca only won 1 title and Messi did not have a great WC.

Sneijder was the missing piece that Inter needed to win the CL and they also won 2 other trophies with Sneijder leading the charge. Then he went on to lead Holland to the WC finals and I believe he finished tied for the WC golden boot which is a remarkable achievement for a midfielder. Sneijder certainly isnt the best player in the world but was arguably the most valuable player in the sport last season. He definitely deserved more 1st place votes.

Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Casillas were bound to split votes with each other. Xavi was healthy all season and was great for club and country. Iniesta missed a lot of time due to injury but was huge at the WC. I think Xavi should've gotten more respect from voters but it seems like voters were undecided as to which Spanish player was the best. In the end it seems like Iniesta's WC winning goal weighed heavily in the minds of voters which is one of the reasons why Iniesta finished 2nd behind Messi.

Forlan also had a tremendous season for club and country however the Europa League is obviously a 2nd-tier event and ultimately Forlan and Uruguay fell 2-steps short at the WC.

In my opinion it is. Its next to impossible to retain this trophy.

You can't be serious if you think that CL is more prestigious than the WC. The 2010 England World Cup team was full of players who won the Champions League and none of them sniffed the World Cup trophy.

It's been almost 50 YEARS since England won the World Cup, yet all the players from their 1966 World Cup winning team are deities in their home country. And yet in another 50 years, those players will still be remembered more than Gerrard's or Rooney's Champions League titles.

Again, if you want to point out weak teams that are to be found in the initial stages of the World Cup, then I must again point out for you to check out Barcelona's opponents in this year's Champions League group stage. To win the World Cup, you will have to beat at least two quality teams in a all-or-nothing game sooner or later, the same goes for Champions League. Except that the World Cup is four times as rare.

Anyway, back to the news: Balotelli is out for 2 months. This dude is made of glass.. Which would actually explain why he doesn't seem to have a brain at times.

In my opinion it is. Its next to impossible to retain this trophy.

You can't be serious if you think that CL is more prestigious than the WC. The 2010 England World Cup team was full of players who won the Champions League and none of them sniffed the World Cup trophy.

It's been almost 50 YEARS since England won the World Cup, yet all the players from their 1966 World Cup winning team are deities in their home country. And yet in another 50 years, those players will still be remembered more than Gerrard's or Rooney's Champions League titles.

Again, if you want to point out weak teams that are to be found in the initial stages of the World Cup, then I must again point out for you to check out Barcelona's opponents in this year's Champions League group stage. To win the World Cup, you will have to beat at least two quality teams in a all-or-nothing game sooner or later, the same goes for Champions League. Except that the World Cup is four times as rare.

Anyway, back to the news: Balotelli is out for 2 months. This dude is made of glass.. Which would actually explain why he doesn't seem to have a brain at times.

I was speaking about difficulty in winning the title, prestige is subjective.  The world cup lost its prestige about two months ago IMO (air conditioned stadiums or playing it in winter). 

So lets disregard the group stages of both tournaments.  You still need to play seven games in the champs league as opposed to four in the world cup.  I would argue winning a two leg tie is harder than winning a one-off.

Fact is, not one team has repeated in the Champions League proper, and the last to do it was Nottingham Forest when it was the European Cup (different format).  Brazil and Italy, for example, have won the world cup twice in this time.  Presumably, if it came around more often, we'd have several teams repeating champions. Certainly, winning the World cup is a big deal, don't get me wrong.  But, if you've watched football for a very long time, you'd know the quality of the game is better in the European Cup/CL and the ease of winning the World Cup vs. the CL is greater. 

I was speaking about difficulty in winning the title, prestige is subjective.  The world cup lost its prestige about two months ago IMO (air conditioned stadiums or playing it in winter). 

So lets disregard the group stages of both tournaments.  You still need to play seven games in the champs league as opposed to four in the world cup.  I would argue winning a two leg tie is harder than winning a one-off.

Fact is, not one team has repeated in the Champions League proper, and the last to do it was Nottingham Forest when it was the European Cup (different format).  Brazil and Italy, for example, have won the world cup twice in this time.  Presumably, if it came around more often, we'd have several teams repeating champions. Certainly, winning the World cup is a big deal, don't get me wrong.  But, if you've watched football for a very long time, you'd know the quality of the game is better in the European Cup/CL and the ease of winning the World Cup vs. the CL is greater. 

Anyway guys...

Who's watching footy right now? Caught between EPL Blackpool vs Liverpool or Carling Cup Ipswich vs Arsenal.... hmmm.
Has Bendtner lost a ton a playing time this season?

Some Copa del Rey with Barca later too...

Anyway guys...

Who's watching footy right now? Caught between EPL Blackpool vs Liverpool or Carling Cup Ipswich vs Arsenal.... hmmm.
Has Bendtner lost a ton a playing time this season?

Some Copa del Rey with Barca later too...

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
Sooo were just going to lose to bottom dwelling Championship sides now? Wooooow and that was a strong team we put out too.

If it wasnt for Cesc's late equalizer against Leeds we'd would have lost back to back games to teams in a lower division.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

SMFH we need to get things together....FAST!!!

Back
Top Bottom