The Weeknd Thread ( "Hurry Up Tomorrow" Coming Soon)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Dawn FM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
You guys are negating the idea that there's progress being made because it's not being done in the direction you'd prefer.
Na not really. Like I said progression doesn't necessarily mean structure or relatability. If you disagree with this I understand. To me he's definitely opening up more and expressing himself in terms that more people would relate to and understand. If you consider that growth or progression that's fine I see why you'd say that

When it comes to pure artistic expression in my opinion and it has nothing to do with his past work, saying exactly what you feel without catering to your audience is growth to me. Not caring what others may feel but just going for it and not worrying about structure or technical things

Being that he's fitting all of his expressions into boxes seems counter productive to growth but again I see why you'd say his new music is a progression

Last edited:
I mean as far as popularity yeah :lol: but I'm not seeing as to how songs like 6 feet under, low life, all I know etc are better than one of those nights, remember you, crew love etc.

I'm trying to be objective here because if I start getting into the real album cuts :x :x

Party monster starboy compared to wicked games the zone kissland? Son is not progressing musically I don't see it. Popularity, likeability fame all that yes

This is the beauty of music. 

People are entitled to their own opinions and feel connections to certain songs as opposed to others.

No one will ever be right  but it's good that we can talk it out. 

I highly recommend watching the Zane Lowe interview. Explains the direction he's going for various things. 

When I heard "Baby you were so strong" on Attention, I knew what we was getting from that song
laugh.gif

Didnt one of those dudes also say they were about to listen to hob for the first time lol. Their opinion isnt valid.

As for me the album has grown a lot on me. I think the more i listen to it the less i compare it to old weeknd and get a fresh look on the album. I can honestly say i love 80% of it. Still cant get down with rocking, stargirl (actually hate this song lol), and false alarm.
But man theres some hard tracks on Here (ordinary life, die for you, reminder, party monster,sidewalks..ect)

I think the only one who ever really said that was Halftime (don't know how to tag) but not everybody is with that somber type of music. Or he was trolling :lol:

Trussss mi I'm with all many of y'all. 

It's weird to see him make songs like this and display this kind of persona. 

Personally, I've just been trying to accept the fact that Abel is not in the same state of mind and place in life that he was in when doing Trilogy of even Kiss Land.

His whole life has turned around and he himself has changed. Which is a hard pill to swallow as listeners but was bound to happen. 

I for sure am not the same person I was 3-5 years ago. I think when looking and listening to this new Abel project, the less you compare it to old Weeknd (like @maicolkickhead  said), the more you'll get from it. 

Of course, many will just not get with it, and that's cool too. But the more open-minded you go into it, the better it will be (in my opinion). 

Like I been saying, dude's playing the long game. He wants to be one of the greatest of this generation and he's doing what he has to, to do that. In order to do that he's gotta appeal to the masses. If not, he'd go down as another Akon

I think buddy's interest plummeted once the track list came out and drake was no where near it.

Yeah it definitely did :lol: no Travis scott no drake but future? Instant buzzkill

Like I been saying, dude's playing the long game. He wants to be one of the greatest of this generation and he's doing what he has to, to do that. In order to do that he's gotta appeal to the masses. If not, he'd go down as another Akon

Akon doe? Akon has hits :lol: wut why Akon as the example

You mean frank ocean lol

After bbtm and them tours I'm sure his life was already set .. everything after this is just pure excess

Last edited:
Akon was dope, I use Akon because Akon fizzed out. Nobody checking for Akon's music anymore. Guy use to be the go to mf for rap hooks. Weeknd was heading down that path. You gotta reinvent yourself over and over to stay on top

Back
Top Bottom