The West Will Go Through Phoenix: Official Planet Orange Thread

SAN DIEGO - When shooting guard Jason Richardson arrived in Phoenix last season, he spent more time trying to fit in rather than finding the basket.

Now with half a season with the team, and the paint opening up with the departure of Shaquille O'Neal, the Suns are looking for big things fromRichardson.

"We're finding out more about Jason Richardson," Suns coach Alvin Gentry said during the team's practice sessions in San Diego."It's really tough to come to a team in the middle of the year and kind of find exactly where you fit in and things like that. I think J-Rich willhave a really good year because the floor will open up and he's a slasher like Grant Hill."

Richardson is a prolific scorer who came to the Suns from the Charlotte Bobcats. Richardson was the focal point of the Charlotte offense. In his seven-yearcareer, Richardson has averaged 18.6.

That wasn't the case when he arrived in Phoenix, which featured two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash, former NBA rookies of the year Grant Hill and AmareStoudamire, and three-time NBA Finals MVP Shaquille O'Neal.

"I was in that transition period where I was trying to adjust to everyone," Richardson said. "In eight years of my career, I went from beingthe man to being sometimes the third or fourth option. It was kind of hard for me when to pick and choose, when I should score, when should I shoot, am Ishooting too much, am I not shooting enough? There were so many questions that I was not being myself, being the guy who is aggressive and doing the thingsthat I'm capable of doing."

Gentry also took some of the blame as to why Richardson struggled to find his rhythm in the Suns' system.

"I think he was a little passive with what he does, and I didn't do a great job of keeping him involved," Gentry said. "He had some greatquarters for us, when he would have 15 and 13 points. I have to make sure I keep him engaged and involved in the game, and have him be able to touch it to keepit going. I take some responsibility for that not happening last year, but we're going to make sure we get that worked out this year."

One thing that will help Richardson is the big change in the post.

In the offseason, the Suns traded O'Neal to the Cleveland Cavaliers and replaced him with the more athletic Channing Frye, who spends more time at the3-point line than in the paint. If Frye is able to hit the outside shot, then the lane should open up for Richardson.

"I'm definitely looking forward to it. That's the type of game I play, slashing to the basket, with all the cuts. It will definitely be open,spacing the floor," Richardson said. "It will benefit my game and everyone else's game. It will help all our game getting back to the open kindof game."

Orchestrating the Suns offense is Nash, who makes it easier for Richardson with his passing.

"Playing with a guy like Steve, you just have to cut and have your hands ready," Richardson said. "He's one of the great point guards toever play this game."

Because Richardson joined the Suns at midseason, he didn't get a chance to play in the inaugural outdoor game at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden lastyear. Already, Richardson asked his teammates about the game, and everyone described the game in one word: Freezing.

"So hopefully they'll let us wear long sleeve shirts," Richardson said. "That's the last thing I asked, 'How was it?' andthey said it was fun, but when they came out after half, it was 15 degrees colder than what it was. I definitely hope they let us wear some spandex."

why did no suns fans get to making this thread before now?

every damn thread title update is going to have the words 'jason richardson's balls' in it.

lock this
i second this.

Run thru Phoenix is right, like Jeter in a woman's dorm. Suns will be strugglin to stay ahead of the Clippers this year

1 injury to Amare (which is very possible considering his last few years) and they don't make the playoffs. If he'shealthy, they are fed to the wolves (Lakers) in the first round.

the suns are a planet now?
laugh.gif

It will be fun watching the old Phoenix Suns again, the way they were meant to be seen before Terry Porter tried to coach.

The bad thing is that they'll be the Old Phoenix Suns, since Steve Nash and Grant Hill are two major players getting up there in age and their bench sucks.

Not to sound like a homer but the Lakers are what the Suns used to be, only done right. They have that same level of awesome offensive power, only they run itat a more disciplined level. And while they're not great defensively, they at least put forth enough effort to look like more than a streetball team.

Nash/Barbosa/Richardson/Hill/Amare or is it Nash/Richardson/Hill/Frye/Amare would've looked good a few years ago

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

lol just change the thread title to the j rich seasonlong slurpfest thread
laugh.gif
its a trap coz this thread will eventually revolve into ajrich is so good this and that thread

laugh.gif
@ The title of this thread.

Did Holden or Ska approve another NT account for Zodogg ?

Suns will be seriously be lucky if they get the 8th seed in West this season. Which if they do make it I'm going to enjoying watching the Lakers maul themand sweep them out the 1st round.

Oh and after this year Amarie is a free agent and I bet any Suns fan on here that he bounces and signs with another team next summer.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

zodogg is that you?
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
na it's not zodogg. zodogg is actually pretty knowledgable aboutthe suns and basketball in general, when you talk sports with him and mention as little about the lakers and sg #24 as possible.

As of right now, Id be happy with the Suns at .500. Thus far, every move Steve Kerr made has tuned out to be wrong/not effective. Im not holding my breathfor anything spectacular from this group. As usual, depth will be an issue and as usual, nothing in the middle.

I think title talk is a reach right now, but the playoffs (5-8 seed) is more our level. Anything can happen though just look at 05-06 without STAT.

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

zodogg is that you?
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
na it's not zodogg. zodogg is actually pretty knowledgable about the suns and basketball in general, when you talk sports with him and mention as little about the lakers and sg #24 as possible.

pretty knowledgable pffffft...didnt he come up with that thread that said the suns were gonna start the 2008 season 22-0?
laugh.gif

lol i don't remember him saying that but he's cool peoples with me though, he went out of his way to give me a really good deal on 2 jerseys i wanted afew years ago so he's cool peoples because of that in my book.

Back
Top Bottom