The word God is nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness.

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

everyone is entitled to their own beliefs or non-beliefs.

God FMW

wouldn't know where i'd be without him
Probably still alive and still ticking as you are today.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by PH3N0M3N0N

Originally Posted by ai3mac1

I gotta question for the religious folk...

Say one day religion and a higher being were PROVEN to be false. As in its a FACT that its not real, its accepted that its not true.
What would you do then??

Would never happen, though.
Because you can't disprove God. Just like you can't disprove the tooth fairy, Easter bunny, Santa, etc.

But Einstein never believed in a God. His quotes can seem contradictory and they can be cherry-picked to support both sides of the argument but again he never believed in a God.
He called himself a deeply religious non-believer, he had a deep admiration for the structure of the universe and would sometimes invoke the word God when talking about the universe. If he ever used the word God or creator he was using it in a purely metaphorical or poetic sense similar to Stephen Hawking.

Say one day religion and a higher being were PROVEN to be false. As in its a FACT that its not real, its accepted that its not true.
What would you do then??

Because you can't disprove God. Just like you can't disprove the tooth fairy, Easter bunny, Santa, etc.

But Einstein never believed in a God. His quotes can seem contradictory and they can be cherry-picked to support both sides of the argument but again he never believed in a God.
He called himself a deeply religious non-believer, he had a deep admiration for the structure of the universe and would sometimes invoke the word God when talking about the universe. If he ever used the word God or creator he was using it in a purely metaphorical or poetic sense similar to Stephen Hawking.

Originally Posted by judeezy36

Originally Posted by Nat Turner

What would you do then??

Why?
Until someone comes up with answers for the beginning and the end..... 

So until then, you'd be happy thinking that the world is flat as well? This is why I take issue with the religious position. It is based upon superstition, then not fact.

Fact: Until you prove that "god" exists, there'll be no need to disprove his socalled existence. The burden of proof is actually on those of you who believe, not those of us who do not.

What would you do then??

Why?

So until then, you'd be happy thinking that the world is flat as well? This is why I take issue with the religious position. It is based upon superstition, then not fact.

Fact: Until you prove that "god" exists, there'll be no need to disprove his socalled existence. The burden of proof is actually on those of you who believe, not those of us who do not.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

God FMW

pimp.gif
probably not.

What would you do then??

Why?

Why is there a "burden" to prove anything?  If anything, there should just be a general curiosity to determine how we got here and where we're going to go.  If you haven't noticed, those are the two big questions that most religions seek to answer.  I've opted to give some credence to a system of beliefs grounded in both science and spirituality to explain what no one has concrete answers for.  That's a personal decision.  You, on the other hand, have opted to ground yourself completely in scientific reasoning.  Fine.  Why does my reasoning seem to offend you so much?

What would you do then??

Why?

Why is there a "burden" to prove anything?  If anything, there should just be a general curiosity to determine how we got here and where we're going to go.  If you haven't noticed, those are the two big questions that most religions seek to answer.  I've opted to give some credence to a system of beliefs grounded in both science and spirituality to explain what no one has concrete answers for.  That's a personal decision.  You, on the other hand, have opted to ground yourself completely in scientific reasoning.  Fine.  Why does my reasoning seem to offend you so much?

God FMW

pimp.gif
probably not.

Originally Posted by General Johnson

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Why are atheists so obsessed with religion?

When children are taught fairy tales as fact in school, it's something that we all should be worried about.

When freedoms are abridged by religion, it's something that we all should be worried about.

When wars are waged because of religion, it's something that we all should be worried about.

When religion has such reverence that it influences and dictates policy in the United States, it's something that we all should be worried about.
1. What school?
2. Which of your freedoms is being abridged by religion?

3. You mean by the US? What wars have we fought based on religion?

4. Religion dictates what policy in the US?
Well I can't buy alcohol on Sunday...nor can I buy a car. If I have a son and he is an Atheist, he can't join the Boy Scouts. As an Atheist, there are certain states where I can't hold a civil office.  The tax-exempt have been the driving force behind stymieing your right to die, who can marry, abortion and stem cell research.  The faithful have also tried to rewrite history. 

Here's my problem, if the religious didn't act on their D&D nonsense, I'd have no problem with the religious.    

It doesn't matter how many of these apply to me personally, it's the fact that they apply at all.  It's the fact that all of these things are being controlled in the name of some ridiculous deity that will never show their face. 

why are Atheist "obsessed with religion?" Because we are forced to be.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

When children are taught fairy tales as fact in school, it's something that we all should be worried about.

When freedoms are abridged by religion, it's something that we all should be worried about.

When wars are waged because of religion, it's something that we all should be worried about.

When religion has such reverence that it influences and dictates policy in the United States, it's something that we all should be worried about.
1. What school?
2. Which of your freedoms is being abridged by religion?

3. You mean by the US? What wars have we fought based on religion?

4. Religion dictates what policy in the US?
Well I can't buy alcohol on Sunday...nor can I buy a car. If I have a son and he is an Atheist, he can't join the Boy Scouts. As an Atheist, there are certain states where I can't hold a civil office.  The tax-exempt have been the driving force behind stymieing your right to die, who can marry, abortion and stem cell research.  The faithful have also tried to rewrite history. 

Here's my problem, if the religious didn't act on their D&D nonsense, I'd have no problem with the religious.    

It doesn't matter how many of these apply to me personally, it's the fact that they apply at all.  It's the fact that all of these things are being controlled in the name of some ridiculous deity that will never show their face. 

why are Atheist "obsessed with religion?" Because we are forced to be.

I've opted to give some credence to a system of beliefs grounded in both science and spirituality to explain what no one has concrete answers for.  That's a personal decision.  You, on the other hand, have opted to ground yourself completely in scientific reasoning.  Fine.  Why does my reasoning seem to offend you so much?

well stated bropseh

pimp.gif

I've opted to give some credence to a system of beliefs grounded in both science and spirituality to explain what no one has concrete answers for.  That's a personal decision.  You, on the other hand, have opted to ground yourself completely in scientific reasoning.  Fine.  Why does my reasoning seem to offend you so much?

well stated bropseh

pimp.gif

God FMW

pimp.gif
probably not.
Sure there will be some "chain-of-actions" changes in your life but I don't see why you think you wouldn't be alive.

Care to explain?

God FMW

pimp.gif
probably not.
Sure there will be some "chain-of-actions" changes in your life but I don't see why you think you wouldn't be alive.

Care to explain?

What would you do then??

Why?

What is underlined is contradictory.

The reason I posted the Sherri Shepard clips are to show what happens with people who are *selectively intellectual*. She like most christians, will completely ignore historical fact, in order to support unsubstantiated claims. Jesus predates everything? Really? If one is a christian, it seems that one must feel that way, and this is the big problem. Many will try and force schools to teach this crap over scientific fact. Once you suggest that there was nothing before Jesus/God, you are completely ignoring all civilizations that existed before, then the gods they claimed that existed, in times before the creation of the God of Abraham.

This is why I am offended.

What would you do then??

Why?

What is underlined is contradictory.

The reason I posted the Sherri Shepard clips are to show what happens with people who are *selectively intellectual*. She like most christians, will completely ignore historical fact, in order to support unsubstantiated claims. Jesus predates everything? Really? If one is a christian, it seems that one must feel that way, and this is the big problem. Many will try and force schools to teach this crap over scientific fact. Once you suggest that there was nothing before Jesus/God, you are completely ignoring all civilizations that existed before, then the gods they claimed that existed, in times before the creation of the God of Abraham.

This is why I am offended.

Why are religious people so obsessed with god?

Just cause we don't believe in a "God" like the one defined by the Bible or Quaran doesn't mean that we don't believe in some sort of existence or energy that is far greater than ourselves, like that which Einstien himself discussed in the quote above.  There is no difference that a person posting a bible quote and discussing that.  The question is "why do people who are religous, get so perturbed by other's questioning their beliefs or talking about stuff that is contrary to religion."  Let's not act like religion hasn't been used as a key tool for subjugation throughout history whether its the peasants in the fuedal system in Europe or the introduction of Catholicism in South America.  In this country one side of the political spectrum essentially justify's their righeousness by using a biblical morality, but yes, your right, the atheists are obsessed.

For me, being spiritual is questioning religion and furthering discussing and reading up upon stuff such as String Theory etc. that fit into what my ideals are.

Why are religious people so obsessed with god?

Just cause we don't believe in a "God" like the one defined by the Bible or Quaran doesn't mean that we don't believe in some sort of existence or energy that is far greater than ourselves, like that which Einstien himself discussed in the quote above.  There is no difference that a person posting a bible quote and discussing that.  The question is "why do people who are religous, get so perturbed by other's questioning their beliefs or talking about stuff that is contrary to religion."  Let's not act like religion hasn't been used as a key tool for subjugation throughout history whether its the peasants in the fuedal system in Europe or the introduction of Catholicism in South America.  In this country one side of the political spectrum essentially justify's their righeousness by using a biblical morality, but yes, your right, the atheists are obsessed.

For me, being spiritual is questioning religion and furthering discussing and reading up upon stuff such as String Theory etc. that fit into what my ideals are.

I personally dont believe and have no problem with people that do because thats thier choice and they are free to do whatever they want.

I do want to know why believers, when something good happens to them are so quick to thank god, etc. Yet, When something bad happens, do you ever think," man #@@+ god?" etc.

Maybe you tihnk that in your head i dk but ive never actually heard someone say that when a bad thing happens

JW

I personally dont believe and have no problem with people that do because thats thier choice and they are free to do whatever they want.

I do want to know why believers, when something good happens to them are so quick to thank god, etc. Yet, When something bad happens, do you ever think," man #@@+ god?" etc.

Maybe you tihnk that in your head i dk but ive never actually heard someone say that when a bad thing happens

JW

God FMW

pimp.gif
probably not.

Care to explain?
nope.

God FMW

pimp.gif
probably not.

Care to explain?
nope.

Back
Top Bottom