The word God is nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness.

Despite the stance, the disregard of someones views and values through personal predilection is a far greater human imperfection.

Despite the stance, the disregard of someones views and values through personal predilection is a far greater human imperfection.

the same einstein

"I have tried to respond to your question as simply as I could. Here is my answer.

Scientific research is based on the idea that everything that takes place is determined by laws of nature, and therefore this holds for the actions of people. For this reason, a research scientist will hardly be inclined to believe that events could be influenced by a prayer, i.e. by a wish addressed to a supernatural Being.

However, it must be admitted that our actual knowledge of these laws is only imperfect and fragmentary, so that, actually, the belief in the existence of basic all-embracing laws in Nature also rests on a sort of faith. All the same this faith has been largely justified so far by the success of scientific research.

But, on the other hand, every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe -- a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble. In this way the pursuit of science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort, which is indeed quite different from the religiosity of someone more naive."

given the context he may be trying to protect the girls feelings but dude is conflicted.

the same einstein

"I have tried to respond to your question as simply as I could. Here is my answer.

Scientific research is based on the idea that everything that takes place is determined by laws of nature, and therefore this holds for the actions of people. For this reason, a research scientist will hardly be inclined to believe that events could be influenced by a prayer, i.e. by a wish addressed to a supernatural Being.

However, it must be admitted that our actual knowledge of these laws is only imperfect and fragmentary, so that, actually, the belief in the existence of basic all-embracing laws in Nature also rests on a sort of faith. All the same this faith has been largely justified so far by the success of scientific research.

But, on the other hand, every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe -- a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble. In this way the pursuit of science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort, which is indeed quite different from the religiosity of someone more naive."

given the context he may be trying to protect the girls feelings but dude is conflicted.

Originally Posted by SamDUH562

This was posted and discussed. Why are ppl acting like it conflicts with the quote in the OP?

Einstein basically said humans and the idea of GOD aren't helpful and is more of a con than a pro, it's a childish notion for human beings and doesn't entail what it truly is. In the other quote he basically says there's a strong sense of a higher being when scientists go about to unlock/discover the laws of nature since science works in the area of having faith in justified true beliefs (i.e. truth/fact) and then he goes on to say that the smarter than average person, the scientists that go about studying and discovering these laws of nature have a much different special feeling than the feeling of the naive(i.e the average religious person).

If anything that might be conflicted or parallel is the slight elitist tone of smart ppl/scientists that go about discovering laws of nature and the such have a superior feeling with GOD than regular not so smart church goer. Which sounds like the tone for the current schism of religions and those who are atheists. But it's understandable where Einstein is coming from and not a stretchto say the smarter you are and the more you know about physics the greater appreciation you'd have for it and possible bond with a higher being present in it.

Originally Posted by SamDUH562

This was posted and discussed. Why are ppl acting like it conflicts with the quote in the OP?

Einstein basically said humans and the idea of GOD aren't helpful and is more of a con than a pro, it's a childish notion for human beings and doesn't entail what it truly is. In the other quote he basically says there's a strong sense of a higher being when scientists go about to unlock/discover the laws of nature since science works in the area of having faith in justified true beliefs (i.e. truth/fact) and then he goes on to say that the smarter than average person, the scientists that go about studying and discovering these laws of nature have a much different special feeling than the feeling of the naive(i.e the average religious person).

If anything that might be conflicted or parallel is the slight elitist tone of smart ppl/scientists that go about discovering laws of nature and the such have a superior feeling with GOD than regular not so smart church goer. Which sounds like the tone for the current schism of religions and those who are atheists. But it's understandable where Einstein is coming from and not a stretchto say the smarter you are and the more you know about physics the greater appreciation you'd have for it and possible bond with a higher being present in it.

Originally Posted by dreamhigh

i ve seen prayers come true and lived miracles .. divine intervention ... ive witnessed it .. #%!$ einstein

01_08_18---Duck_web.jpg

+
Tails.jpg

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Gay Marriage and abortion are NOT religious issues. thought they were civil rights issues.

Propoganda does not equal political policy.

Bush was religous = fighting which war based on religion now? u lost me.

They are civil rights issues...I never said that they are religious issues. If I wasn't clear, religion has been the main opposition to gay marriage and abortion when they should have no say in it at all.

The Defense of Marriage Act IS policy and it explicitly defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman. There are states that ban gay marriage, how is that not policy?

Bush has implied and said to other leaders that he believes the Iraq war and in general the war on terrorism is a mission given to him by God. Now I understand that this it be argued that American imperialism is the real reason behind most American wars, but religion is used as a tool to garner support from the American public.

It's pretty clear that religion does dictate American policies and politics.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Gay Marriage and abortion are NOT religious issues. thought they were civil rights issues.

Propoganda does not equal political policy.

Bush was religous = fighting which war based on religion now? u lost me.

They are civil rights issues...I never said that they are religious issues. If I wasn't clear, religion has been the main opposition to gay marriage and abortion when they should have no say in it at all.

The Defense of Marriage Act IS policy and it explicitly defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman. There are states that ban gay marriage, how is that not policy?

Bush has implied and said to other leaders that he believes the Iraq war and in general the war on terrorism is a mission given to him by God. Now I understand that this it be argued that American imperialism is the real reason behind most American wars, but religion is used as a tool to garner support from the American public.

It's pretty clear that religion does dictate American policies and politics.

His name is DREAM HIGH though. He probably woke up after those marijuana induced coma dreams and forgot it was a dream, thinking he really lived a miracle, witnessed divine intervention, or was left to only think GOD answered a prayer.

His name is DREAM HIGH though. He probably woke up after those marijuana induced coma dreams and forgot it was a dream, thinking he really lived a miracle, witnessed divine intervention, or was left to only think GOD answered a prayer.

Originally Posted by General Johnson

Why are atheists so obsessed with religion?
Probably for some of the same reasons as believers. It can be interesting and impacts the lives, views, and philosophy of both groups.

Probably for some of the same reasons as believers. It can be interesting and impacts the lives, views, and philosophy of both groups.

Probably for some of the same reasons as believers. Its can be interesting and impacts the lives, views, and philosophy of both groups.

Probably for some of the same reasons as believers. Its can be interesting and impacts the lives, views, and philosophy of both groups.

People don't really understand what they believe. They memorize all these scriptures but lack the true meaning and wisdom within it. So they make it up and end up contradicting themselves. I believe that there is a grand designer because it is apparent to me (personally). Some call Him "God". God is everything and in everyone. 

That is all,

wink.gif

People don't really understand what they believe. They memorize all these scriptures but lack the true meaning and wisdom within it. So they make it up and end up contradicting themselves. I believe that there is a grand designer because it is apparent to me (personally). Some call Him "God". God is everything and in everyone. 

That is all,

wink.gif

I gotta question for the religious folk...

Say one day religion and a higher being were PROVEN to be false. As in its a FACT that its not real, its accepted that its not true.
What would you do then??

I gotta question for the religious folk...

Say one day religion and a higher being were PROVEN to be false. As in its a FACT that its not real, its accepted that its not true.
What would you do then??

Back
Top Bottom