There is no better way to honor MLK, than eating fried chicken, greens, and cornbread...

Are people being overly-sensitive about this, or should there be a legit gripe?

[h1]Naval Academy questioned for serving fried chicken to honor King[/h1] Associated Press
Posted Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 2:51 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) - Some at the Naval Academy are questioning a decision to honor the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. by serving fried chicken, greens and cornbread.

The meal was served Tuesday because classes weren't held on Monday, the King holiday.

Clips of King speeches were broadcast while the midshipmen dined.

An academy spokesman says the menu was chosen because it was a "traditional Southern meal."

In September, midshipmen dined on fajitas, flour tortillas and Spanish rice for Hispanic Heritage Month.

But postings on the message boards at GoMids.com indicated some were offended by the attempt to honor King.

One contributor wrote, "I thought we were well past these stereotypes!"

FingerLickin' Good

roll.gif

smh . . .

I only like chicken strips and chicken wings, other than that, I hate fried chicken.

i don't know about you but fried chicken, greens, and cornbread is one of the best meals on earth
pimp.gif

one of my african-american friends introduced my to greeens. they're
pimp.gif

sounds like a good meal to me. im wondering though back then was that really a traditional southern meal? fried chicken this fried chicken that seems likesomething that just came up with the technology era

Hahaha. My boy goes to Navy and was telling me about this yesterday. He said the black kids were up in arms, but you better believe they ate it anyway.

Originally Posted by CasperFromKIDS

Hahaha. My boy goes to Navy and was telling me about this yesterday. He said the black kids were up in arms, but you better believe they ate it anyway.

embarassed.gif
mad.gif
ohwell.gif
pimp.gif
nerd.gif

No I don't think they are being overly sensitive. What the hell does Fried chicken, green and cornbread has to do with Martin Luther King Jr. ideas,teaching and speeches? If they wanted to honor the man they could have just left his speeches play over the intercom system and leave it at that iof theydidn't have anything else planned.

It sounds good to me

Should a big deal be made of it, no.

But was it the right choice, probably not.

Originally Posted by GG0tti

No I don't think they are being overly sensitive. What the hell does Fried chicken, green and cornbread has to do with Martin Luther King Jr. ideas, teaching and speeches? If they wanted to honor the man they could have just left his speeches play over the intercom system and leave it at that iof they didn't have anything else planned.

or find out what he liked to eat.. if infact he did like all that stuff, i dont know who you can blame. but i doubt they went that far. they just jumpedthe gun and assumed he liked that stuff based on stereotypes.

Al Sharpton is behind this somehow.
and you know those dudes prolly went back for 2nds maybe even 3rds.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

What the hell are "greens?" Is that like any green vegetable?
laugh.gif
It's a leafy green vegetable. Collared greens are usually cooked with some kind of fatty meat (usually pork like ham hocks or any other fatty cutof pork) usually they're fried with the pork first and then sort of stewed.. They're good. If you've had Kale it's usually prepared quitesimilarly.

Being overly sensitive. King is from the south, the south is known for these foods, it's not a blk/wht thing it's a southern thing. Trust whenever Ivisit the south I hit up a soul food resturant for some Fried Chicken, Greens, Mashed Potatoes, Cornbread and a Sprite I'm good for like a week off thatalone.

Back
Top Bottom