There's a plane in the Hudson River RIGHT NOW

Originally Posted by DLo13

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

No one has died on an airplane in TWO years..... out of the millions and millions of people who travel.....
That's not accurate.
Fail.

http://www.usatoday.com/t...irlinesafety_N.htm?csp=34

Airlines go two years with no fatalities

For the first time since the dawn of the jet age, two consecutive years have passed without a single airline passenger death in a U.S. carrier crash.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]No passengers died in accidents in 2007 and 2008, a period inwhich commercial airliners carried 1.5 billion passengers[/color] on scheduled airline flights, according to a USA TODAY analysis offederal and industry data.

One major accident occurred during that time, last month's crash of a Continental Airlines jet in Denver.

Going without a crash fatality for a full year has been rare. Only four years since 1958 have passed without a passenger fatality, theanalysis found. That makes the two-year string even more impressive, aviation safety experts say.

"It's a new record," says Arnold Barnett, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor who has written extensivelyabout airline fatality risks.

"While it doesn't mean risk is now non-existent," Barnett says, "it certainly means they have done a fantastic job atkeeping all these threats at bay."

Barnett calculates that it's more likely for a young child to be elected president in his or her lifetime than to dieon a single jet flight in the USA or in similar industrial nations in Europe, Canada or Japan.

"It's just more evidence of what has been the improving safety record that we've seen over the past several years,"says Bill Voss, president of the Flight Safety Foundation, a non-profit group that promotes aviation safety around the world.

Overall risks of death on an airline flight have dropped dramatically.

Fatality risk fell to 68 per billion fliers this decade, less than half the risk in the 1990s, according to National TransportationSafety Board (NTSB) data. Since 2002, the risks of dying on a flight plunged to 19 per billion, an 86% drop from the 1990s.

The fiery Continental Airlines crash Dec. 20 in Denver shows it can still be hazardous to fly. The jet turned off a runway whileattempting to take off, breaking apart and bursting into flames.

All 115 people aboard escaped as jet fuel burned through the right side of the jet. The crash injured 38 people, five seriously, theNTSB said.

The crash helps illustrate why death rates have fallen, Voss says.

Government requirements during the past two decades have made planes safer in violent impacts and fires, reducing the likelihood ofdeaths, he says.

Technology improvements, more reliable aircraft and better training also have helped reduce accidents, Voss says.

The lack of fatal crashes creates new challenges for federal regulators and the airline industry. Further safety improvements must comefrom studying the minor anomalies of everyday flight.

"What we're looking at now is the risks before they manifest themselves into accidents," says Basil Barimo, with the AirTransport Association.

Originally Posted by Barack 0drama

NYC and planes don't mix I see.
Is this dude serious????
Like really?!?!

indifferent.gif

with all the engineering behind making planes fly in the first place, u'd think some kind of barrier would've been implemented to keep birds physicallyimpossible to enter the plane's engine.

and does anyone know if planes can float if rested on a body of water?

Originally Posted by pianoman52

with all the engineering behind making planes fly in the first place, u'd think some kind of barrier would've been implemented to keep birds physically impossible to enter the plane's engine.

and does anyone know if planes can float if rested on a body of water?

No one has died on an airplane in TWO years..... out of the millions and millions of people who travel.....
That's not accurate.
Fail.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2009-01-11-airlinesafety_N.htm?csp=34http://www.usatoday.com/t...irlinesafety_N.htm?csp=34

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]No passengers died in accidents in 2007 and 2008, a period in which commercial airliners carried 1.5 billion passengers[/color] on scheduled airline flights, according to a USA TODAY analysis of federal and industry data.

You were not specific at all in your initial post, in fact, you fail. Airplane does not equal U.S. commercial airliner
Not only was they the Spanish crash, there was the crash in Brazil too that killed 200 people.

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

That's not accurate.
Fail.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2009-01-11-airlinesafety_N.htm?csp=34http://www.usatoday.com/t...irlinesafety_N.htm?csp=34http://www.usatoday.com/t...irlinesafety_N.htm?csp=34

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]No passengers died in accidents in 2007 and 2008, a period in which commercial airliners carried 1.5 billion passengers[/color] on scheduled airline flights, according to a USA TODAY analysis of federal and industry data.

You were not specific at all in your initial post, in fact, you fail. Airplane does not equal U.S. commercial airliner
Not only was they the Spanish crash, there was the crash in Brazil too that killed 200 people.
Exactly what I was going to post - you originally claimed that nobody had died on a plane crash period. So you were not accurate. Nobody haddied in a commercial flight in the United States in 2 years... there's been private jet fatalities in america, and commercial deaths elsewhere.

So the fail is on you mr. tbone. you had the right idea, as i just read the same thing a few days back - but the people who questioned you were correct.

Damn I just flew to Detroit from LaGuardia yesterday and im just like
eek.gif
,when a fellow NT'er called me like your never going to comeback on a flight now. Im glad to hear that everyone survived and props to the airline, pilot andNYC boat crews for coming through clutch and getting everyone off the plane safely.

Is this dude serious????
Like really?!?!

indifferent.gif
Yeah, that's a really insensitive and idiotic statement. I bet he thought he was being clever too. Idiot.

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

Originally Posted by OWL TROUTWIG

Is this dude serious????
Like really?!?!

indifferent.gif
Yeah, that's a really insensitive and idiotic statement. I bet he thought he was being clever too. Idiot.
Shame he has an avy and name of Barack.

ohwell.gif
Im gonna have to agree with Odrama.....obviously theres only ahandfull of cities that have gotten national attention as far as plane crashes go in recent years....and NEW YORK is right up there...so how is his statementdumb?? Definately insensitive...but off base...hell no....
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by derryj3

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

Originally Posted by OWL TROUTWIG

Is this dude serious????
Like really?!?!

indifferent.gif
Shame he has an avy and name of Barack.

ohwell.gif
Im gonna have to agree with Odrama.....obviously theres only a handfull of cities that have gotten national attention as far as plane crashes go in recent years....and NEW YORK is right up there...so how is his statement dumb?? Definately insensitive...but off base...hell no....
pimp.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Really?
Wow.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

That's not accurate.
Fail.
http://www.usatoday.com/t...irlinesafety_N.htm?csp=34http://www.usatoday.com/t...irlinesafety_N.htm?csp=34

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]No passengers died in accidents in 2007 and 2008, a period in which commercial airliners carried 1.5 billion passengers[/color] on scheduled airline flights, according to a USA TODAY analysis of federal and industry data
Exactly what I was going to post - you originally claimed that nobody had died on a plane crash period. So you were not accurate. Nobody had died in a commercial flight in the United States in 2 years... there's been private jet fatalities in america, and commercial deaths elsewhere.

So the fail is on you mr. tbone. you had the right idea, as i just read the same thing a few days back - but the people who questioned you were correct.
Oh my apologies for the fact I was at my University and was rushing to make the post before my class.....

In today's society there is NO EXCUSE AT ALL to not just GOOGLE it...... that's all I did and found that usatoday article in TEN SECONDS

USE GOOGLE PEOPLE........ and please, like I make things up
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom