Thinking about taking on the venture of becoming an entreprenuer...advice?

Thinking about putting my hands to work in the northwest by starting up a mobile car detailing service. I know its possible with the right tools which i think own which includes a pressure washer, hoover steam cleaner for the carpet, wax, soap, shampoo, brushes, sponges , and various chemicals. Anything im missing? Business strategy would be business cards, flyers and word of mouth. I would only charge $100 for full interior & exterior. Is that a price ya'll would pay? Im not worried about sharing my info because plenty of people do this, it not a secret. Im just new to this and would like some advice from my NT famb.

I wish you the best of luck

Reading on a few car forums, dudes that detail use clay bars and other stuff to take out scratches and streaks.

Outside of that, I really don't know much but I wanted to wish you luck...

Last edited:
I wish you the best of luck

Reading on a few car forums, dudes that detail use clay bars and other stuff to take out scratches and streaks.

Outside of that, I really don't know much but I wanted to wish you luck...

Same.

Local spot by me charges 180 for in and out but that's on some professional Steeze where they take like 6 hours

North east btw

I admire all those with entrepreneurship spirit. However, know that it's going to be a battle. 80% of small businesses fail, and most are in the red for the first several years. You're not going to be eating lobsters and shrimps off the bat. A lot of kids want to start their own business because "they don't want to work for the man or don't want to work for someone else so they can be rich".

I highly advise you scan your environment, do the usual SWOT analysis at the very minimum. I wouldn't start a firm unless I have a full business plan set up. I assisted as a consultant to couple of local business owners, and it's scary that most of them have no idea what they are doing, and are living month to month to maintain viability.

You should not ask us about prices, you need to ask the locals who will be your consumer base. Also, who will be your consumer group? High end car owners? Mid end? Will they trust you with their cars?

In reality, $100 is dirt cheap, assuming this is a full on detailing job and you will clean every single inch with a Q-tip to assure the car is flawless meaning that if I were to shine a light on the hood of a black car, there would be no swirl marks at all. I knew a kid who loved to detail cars. He was good at it too and passionate about it. He hustled during his years in college and had enough money to buy a G37 coupe in cash upon graduation.

Good luck.

as mentioned $100 is dirt cheap for a full detain interior and exterior.
wish you luck, man

apparently the price is cheap so that could be attractive to some customers, but at the same time could be a detriment. you usually get what you pay for so people might not be willing to pick you over one of your numerous compeititors if you're much cheaper than them. you might try reassurring them and being honest with them. tell them you've been doing this for years with your and your relatives' cars and now you're just trying to make some side money by doing this and you're hoping that by providing a low introductory price, you'll get some word of mouth advertising from your customers and earn some repeat business for the long haul.

as long as you know what you're doing, you should be ok. it'll be a long process and you'll definitely probably only be doing this as a side job for a while.

I admire all those with entrepreneurship spirit. However, know that it's going to be a battle. 80% of small businesses fail, and most are in the red for the first several years. You're not going to be eating lobsters and shrimps off the bat. A lot of kids want to start their own business because "they don't want to work for the man or don't want to work for someone else so they can be rich".
I highly advise you scan your environment, do the usual SWOT analysis at the very minimum. I wouldn't start a firm unless I have a full business plan set up. I assisted as a consultant to couple of local business owners, and it's scary that most of them have no idea what they are doing, and are living month to month to maintain viability.
You should not ask us about prices, you need to ask the locals who will be your consumer base. Also, who will be your consumer group? High end car owners? Mid end? Will they trust you with their cars?
In reality, $100 is dirt cheap, assuming this is a full on detailing job and you will clean every single inch with a Q-tip to assure the car is flawless meaning that if I were to shine a light on the hood of a black car, there would be no swirl marks at all. I knew a kid who loved to detail cars. He was good at it too and passionate about it. He hustled during his years in college and had enough money to buy a G37 coupe in cash upon graduation.
Good luck.

^^ this is good advice. you need to know your customers/audience. who you're trying to sell your services to what they want. your customers will determine the direction you'll head. talk to other detailers outside of your region and see what they're doing. that way...it doesnt seem like youre trying to steal their business.

i do know a few detailers around the tri-state area....two biggest being Phil and the crew from Detailer's Domain, Dave from Street Dreams, and the guys from Buff Auto Appearance. The latter two do mobile detailing. Make sure the market around you isn't saturated with detailers....if it is, figure out how to differentiate yourself from the rest of them. Why should they choose you over everyone else?

best of luck man.

Back
Top Bottom