This Footy Thread is Now Closed, New Thread Link on Last page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't realize United had a friendly today with RSL... and then vs City in, like, 2 days!

Random, but both United kits are really nice. Might have to buy one soon. I'll try to wait though #saleszn

^
will cop the away on discount. But I'm no fan of the home kit yet, imo it's a step back from last season's home kit

Can Arsenal bring Szczesny home now and get rid of Ospina?

Nvm look like the Juve deal is more or less done. Hope we got a good fee.

Manchester+United+v+Real+Salt+Lake+ym7AvW_FN9zx.jpg

It's certainly not an issue of club branding. FC Barcelona is probably the greatest brand in all of professional sports only rivaled by Real Madrid, and a distant Manchester United, two club's it was very recently trailing, the club brand is growing.

Yea, Real just won back to back CL but Barca will probably be the only club in the history of football to see the crown of greatest footballer on the planet handed off from one player to the next within its own club.

If we're talking youth development and academy brand, I do think Barca's brand in that domain has fallen in the past 15 years but it's not the decline that it seems at first glance.

People throw the term golden generation around too loosely. Barca legitimately produced one and it bore fruit for a decade. People then conflated perennial greatness at the pinnacle of the sport with ongoing success at the developmental level assuming it was the norm, when really development success is an annual, cyclical, constantly refreshing business.

Meanwhile literally everyone else in Spain's top flights caught up as well as countless others at the feeder club level.

In my mind Athletic Bilbao has been king in Spanish youth development for a while now. What they produce from a talent pool derived of a population of 1.5 million civilians, not youth players, is absolutely insane. Both Madrid clubs passed Barca in the past 10 years. Sevilla too, you can probably even throw Osasuna and Celta de Vigo in the mix.

Other Spanish clubs have gotten absurdly better and more efficient at producing players than in the past, and I think it is fair to say Barca has lived off of some it's well earned lore for a generation now. Needless to say Barca's place as the forebears in development is unquestioned. Other clubs adopted, tweaked or reinvented forms of their methodology over past generations and with greater resources has recently kind of used it to surpass them.

Always dropping knowledge, much appreciated. I'm not even a Barcelona fan but I find myself defending them in here because of all the knee-jerk foolishness that's posted.

Klopp is working on some big money moves that will guarantee us at least a PL title this season.

What's this talk of Neymar agreeing to terms with P$G this morning?!?

It would be stunning but also hilarious if they ended up with dude after Barca went full court press for Veratti earlier this summer

What's this talk of Neymar agreeing to terms with P$G this morning?!?

It would be stunning but also hilarious if they ended up with dude after Barca went full court press for Veratti earlier this summer

Would probably be the dumbest move ever if Barca agreed to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom