Thread about Jesus - Questions, Bible Verses and Prayer Requests

Those verses say nothing about sundays. They do encourage coming together.

The setting aside a Sunday as sacred is what the previous poster was inquiring about.

And hug correctly detailed the 'true' history of the Sunday worship.
"First day of the week."

Last edited:
He believes the Mosaic laws still apply today.

We have a new covenant with Christ.
A rule of love for all and spiritual truth
rather than ruled by laws.
Luke 16:16, Jeremiah 31:31-34 and
many other verses support the fact.

"For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me"
John 5:46 Jesus said that.

Jesus is The Word/ The Law ( showing us how to live sinless by obeying His Fathers laws perfectly. )

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."
John 1:14

He frees us from the penalty of breaking The Law, which is spiritual death, so we can have eternal life if we repent and believe in him.

"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."
Jesus said that too. And he talking about the OLD TESTAMENT. THE NEW TESTAMENT DID NOT EXIST AT THIS POINT!

If the laws are done away with, then which ones? The one about homosex , killing, stealing ( all Old Testament stuff) are those done away with? Or is it just the ones we that dont fit our schedule like keeping the 7th day, Sabbath Holy, in which He sanctified (Gen 2;1-4) The only day He ever sanctified in this huge book. Or not eating Pork, seafood. Keeping pagan feast days. Just those specific ones. How do we know which to pick?

Last edited:

Those verses say nothing about sundays. They do encourage coming together.

The setting aside a Sunday as sacred is what the previous poster was inquiring about.

And hug correctly detailed the 'true' history of the Sunday worship.
"First day of the week."
again you're not addressing the issue. 

Fine, you say that you base all your beliefs on the bible and thats commendable. But it seems as though you parse the bible to fit your current worldview, and that's a bit dangerous, no?

I know no one cares enough about God to watch, but ehhh......
Here's a Sabbath debate;
starts at 8.25

Last edited:

Fine, you say that you base all your beliefs on the bible and thats commendable. But it seems as though you parse the bible to fit your current worldview, and that's a bit dangerous, no?

Not only that,

They (Christians) literally take the bible as 100% truth and perfection yet within itself and other translations it contradicts itself. Not to mention the DOCUMENTED additions placed in by pagan kings.

What the hell in it is true or original?

The bible has been edited more than a wiki page

Here's the rebuttal "I only believe in gods word"

And where do you get that word? The bible? If so you don't even know which is gods word or the pagans word

"I follow the teachings of Jesus"

Where do you get that from? The bible? If so you face the same problem.

Your source material has lost all credibility to be cited

Last edited:
"For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me"
John 5:46 Jesus said that.

Jesus is The Word/ The Law ( showing us how to live sinless by obeying His Fathers laws perfectly. )

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."
John 1:14

He frees us from the penalty of breaking The Law, which is spiritual death, so we can have eternal life if we repent and believe in him.

"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."
Jesus said that too. And he talking about the OLD TESTAMENT. THE NEW TESTAMENT DID NOT EXIST AT THIS POINT!

If the laws are done away with, then which ones? The one about homosex , killing, stealing ( all Old Testament stuff) are those done away with? Or is it just the ones we that dont fit our schedule like keeping the 7th day, Sabbath Holy, in which He sanctified (Gen 2;1-4) The only day He ever sanctified in this huge book. Or not eating Pork, seafood. Keeping pagan feast days. Just those specific ones. How do we know which to pick?

To start off
the first verse is Jesus telling the people
that if they believed Moses and the Messiah he spoke of,
then they'd believe him because he was the One who
told Moses.

Mosaic laws were between God and Israel.
Now with the New Covenant we have the
Holy Spirit to make us righteous, rather than
trying to follow the laws of old which JESUS
said were obsolete.

The New Testament restated the laws
Christians are to follow from the Old Testament

When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete.
But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.
Hebrew 8:13

1 Corinth 6:9-10 speaks of sins such as homosexuality.

If what you are saying proves true today
Then we'd be stoning adulterers as Christians
since the Old Testament came before the New.
or
stoning for blasphemy.

Be led by the Spirit when reading the scriptures
or else one will be interpreting off feeling and ones' own
understanding.

Last edited:

How am I parsing the Bible to fit my current
worldview?
and Yeah
making the Bible fit your ideal is dangerous.

To start off
the first verse is Jesus telling the people
that if they believed Moses and the Messiah he spoke of,
then they'd believe him because he was the One who
told Moses.

said were obsolete.

The New Testament restated the laws
Christians are to follow from the Old Testament

When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete.
But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.
Hebrew 8:13

1 Corinth 6:9-10 speaks of sins such as homosexuality.

If what you are saying proves true today
Then we'd be stoning adulterers as Christians
since the Old Testament came before the New.
or
stoning for blasphemy.

Be led by the Spirit when reading the scriptures
or else one will be interpreting off feeling and ones' own
understanding.

Ok but you're wrong! Or should I say the bible contradicts itself once again

Mathew chapt. 5: 17-20

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

said were obsolete.

So the Old Testament is done away with. Cool.
But Beastiality and tithing are NOT in the New Testament/ Covenant at all.....
*goes to find sheep*

Whomp whomp,

"Be led by the Spirit when reading the scriptures
or else one will be interpreting off feeling and ones' own understanding"

Yet if you read the bible it LITERALLY contradicts itself.

Yet when you cite a verse you use the literal words as your guide.

So what the hell are you doing here? Anything that convientlly works out you take literally, and everything that doesn't "use the spirit to guide you". Youve just created YOUR OWN interpretation of the bible. Somthing Christians openly look down on yet ALL do themselves.

To simply put this into your understanding.

Ok but you're wrong! Or should I say the bible contradicts itself once again

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.
He fulfilled the Laws and Prophets, by dying on the cross
and making repenting and trusting in him the
greatest fulfillment.
He did't abolish, his life was enough
to fulfill them.
Hence new covenant.

greatest fulfillment.
to fulfill them.
Hence new covenant.

"For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished..."

What about the heaven and earth disappear part? We still here aint we? So, shouldn't the law still be in effect?......

So the Old Testament is done away with. Cool.
But Beastiality and tithing are NOT in the New Testament/ Covenant at all.....
*goes to find sheep*
That is sexual immorality

Each one must give as he has decided in his heart,
not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver
1 Corinth 9:7

1 Conrinth 16:2 aswell.

Last edited:
"For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished..."

What about the heaven and earth disappear part? We still here aint we? So, shouldn't the law still be in effect?......
Good observation.

If the law is still in effect, then you,re unknowingly saying
God failed to complete his mission which is to fulfill the requirements.
In which case we'd still have to sacrifice livestock,
stone and the likes.

You have to read verse 18 with 17 or else.

Last edited:
greatest fulfillment.
to fulfill them.
Hence new covenant.

Wrong! Again! "Heaven" and earth are still here tho.

Good observation.

If the law is still in effect, then you,re unknowingly saying
God failed to complete his mission which is to fulfill the requirements.
In which case we'd still have to sacrifice livestock,
stone and the likes.

You have to read verse 18 with 17 or else.

Didnt answer my question, but I will answer yours.

Messiah return, as im sure you know, so nothing is over. Thats when everything is fulfilled.

The temple has been destroyed so there are no sacrifices.

Last edited:

greatest fulfillment.
to fulfill them.
Hence new covenant.

I have to somewhat agree with durtraspberry on this one.

The law was a foregleam of what was to come. Hence why Paul refers to it as a tutor (Galatians 3:24). The narrative of the scriptures speaks to that fact.

Consider that before Moses there was no written law, yet there where still righteous men who apparently walked on earth (Noah, Abraham, Jacob etc). Does that mean that god still didn't have law? No! Because those men apparently did things according to Gods expectations.

So the law was brought in for a specific purpose, apparently protecting the jewish nation and ensuring that messiah would come through that lineage and identifying Gods chosen nation amidst a whole bunch of rif raff nations (see Cannaan, Babylon etc). With all that said the law had foregleams of what the Christ would achieve. The fulfillment of the law being the sacrificial death of the Christ, a one time atonement making animal sacrifices unnecessary because a perfect human life was sacrificed in behalf of all men (see Romans 5, Hebrews 10). 

So along with that written law the observance of sabbaths and festivals, and ceremonies was done away with. However the kingly law to love one neighbor and the law to love God the father apparently stand in place and hence fulfill that mosaic law.

Last edited:
Didnt answer my question, but I will answer yours.

Messiah return, as im sure you know, so nothing is over. Thats when everything is fulfilled.

The temple has been destroyed so there are no sacrifices.
Verse 18 is Jesus saying
Till the end, his Word remains the same and you can trust Him on it.
And the laws are true, but through Christ's finished
work are all the laws fulfilled.

The law was a foregleam of what was to come. Hence why Paul refers to it as a tutor (Galatians 3:24). The narrative of the scriptures speaks to that fact.

Consider that before Moses there was no written law, yet there where still righteous men who apparently walked on earth (Noah, Abraham, Jacob etc). Does that mean that god still didn't have law? No! Because those men apparently did things according to Gods expectations.

So the law was brought in for a specific purpose, apparently protecting the jewish nation and ensuring that messiah would come through that lineage and identifying Gods chosen nation amidst a whole bunch of rif raff nations (see Cannaan, Babylon etc). With all that said the law had foregleams of what the Christ would achieve. The fulfillment of the law being the sacrificial death of the Christ, a one time atonement making animal sacrifices unnecessary because a perfect human life was sacrificed in behalf of all men (see Romans 5, Hebrews 10). 

So along with that written law the observance of sabbaths and festivals, and ceremonies was done away with. However the kingly law to love one neighbor and the law to love God the father apparently stand in place and hence fulfill that mosaic law.

So what are we to believe?

“It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid.” (Luke 16:17)

The bible is telling me two different things here

Consider that before Moses there was no written law, yet there where still righteous men who apparently walked on eart (Noah, Abraham, Jacob etc). Does that mean that god still didn't have law? No! Because those men apparently did things according to Gods expectations.

Were there laws before Moses wrote them? Yes. I agree with you there.

The law was given to Isreal ( Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah- Jews, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph and Benjamin ) not just the Jews. Why? To be a light and attract the world to be graphed in, a la Ruth. See book of Ruth. The tribes didn't do what they were supposed to so, they were sent in cativity. Only the Judah and Benjamin, (which merged Judah/Jews) came back into covenant. See Ezra or Nehemiah.

FFRD we have Jesus to do the same thing the tribes were to do. Be a light to the world, PLUS allow us to see the Father , paying the penalty for breaking the law. Allowing us to repent and be saved. Jesus cannot go against his Father, who sent him, and the prohets who spoke of Him. He only reinforces.

The Law is the standard by which we are to live. Jesus showed us how to do it. He kept the Laws, the sabbath and feasts. He was a Rabbi, teacher of Torah. He wasn't a Jew by accident. ( Coulda been born of Syrians, Babylonians, etc.) The Last Supper was Passover ( then he died which is why we call him the passover sacrafice/lamb)

But nobody wanna hear bout more laws tho....

'He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.' -John 14:12 New Test.

"Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus" - rev 14:12

They are one in the same. When you separate them, that's when you have contraction.

Last edited:

Were there laws before Moses wrote them? Yes. I agree with you there.

The law was given to Isreal ( Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah- Jews, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph and Benjamin ) not just the Jews. Why? To be a light and attract the world to be graphed in, a la Ruth. See book of Ruth. The tribes didn't do what they were supposed to so, they were sent in cativity. Only the Judah and Benjamin, (which merged Judah/Jews) came back into covenant. See Ezra or Nehemiah.

FFRD we have Jesus to do the same thing the tribes were to do. Be a light to the world, PLUS allow us to see the Father , paying the penalty for breaking the law. Allowing us to repent and be saved. Jesus cannot go against his Father, who sent him, and the prohets who spoke of Him. He only reinforces.

The Law is the standard by which we are to live. Jesus showed us how to do it. He kept the Laws, the sabbath and feasts. He was a Rabbi, teacher of Torah. He wasn't a Jew by accident. ( Coulda been born of Syrians, Babylonians, etc.) The Last Supper was Passover ( then he died which is why we call him the passover sacrafice/lamb)

But nobody wanna hear bout more laws tho....

'He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.' -John 14:12 New Test.

"Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus" - rev 14:12

They are one in the same. When you separate them, that's when you have contraction.
Read Hebrews chapter 10 in it's entirety. It does a better job than I'll ever do in explaining this point. Also Galatians chapter 3 in its entirety.

The law that was written on stones and that was given through Moses served a 'specific' purpose. Paul's illustration in Galatians works perfectly. If you are tutored while young no one expects that tutor to be with you for the rest of your life. The tutor will eventually serve his purpose, which the law did.

Here is where the confusion comes in, many people use the word commandment(s) and apply it exclusively to the 10 commandments and the surrounding ceremonial and levitical laws. That should not be the case. Commandment (s) have always been dynamic and given at the discrection of the Biblical creator. The new testament writers and Jesus rarely reffered to the commandments as the 'commandments', they spoke of them as the Law. Hence why Paul was freely able to say that the Law would be 'done away with'. So the 'commandments' that you reference in Rev 14:12 aren't necessarily the Mosaic Law and ten Commandments. They refer  to various commands that one sees when considering the written scriptures (issues of morality, behavior towards neighbors, war etc). In fact these new commandments are regrded as being on a higher level than the old law becasue they require the observer more discretion.

However this doesn't nullify those old commandments because those old commandments give insight into gods thinking, and hence they do not pass away. They are a historical record of how God views certain issues, and should be studied for that purpose.

I hope that makes some sense.

Read Hebrews chapter 10 in it's entirety. It does a better job than I'll ever do in explaining this point. Also Galatians chapter 3 in its entirety.

The law that was written on stones and that was given through Moses served a 'specific' purpose. Paul's illustration in Galatians works perfectly. If you are tutored while young no one expects that tutor to be with you for the rest of your life. The tutor will eventually serve his purpose, which the law did.

Here is where the confusion comes in, many people use the word commandment(s) and apply it exclusively to the 10 commandments and the surrounding ceremonial and levitical laws. That should not be the case. Commandment (s) have always been dynamic and given at the discrection of the Biblical creator. The new testament writers and Jesus rarely reffered to the commandments as the 'commandments', they spoke of them as the Law. Hence why Paul was freely able to say that the Law would be 'done away with'. So the 'commandments' that you reference in Rev 14:12 aren't necessarily the Mosaic Law and ten Commandments. They refer  to various commands that one sees when considering the written scriptures (issues of morality, behavior towards neighbors, war etc). In fact these new commandments are regrded as being on a higher level than the old law becasue they require the observer more discretion.

However this doesn't nullify those old commandments because those old commandments give insight into gods thinking, and hence they do not pass away. They are a historical record of how God views certain issues, and should be studied for that purpose.

Not really. You say they pass away, yet they dont. They are there for reference and study?....
ok. I read Hebrew and Galations like you asked. Hebrews just big up Christ and he's better than Moses.
Ok, doesn't prove your argument. Galations 3 does, if you take it out of context. Its a letter, as you know, written to Galatia, so you have to read
1 and 2 to get sense of what is really being said. Here's a breakdown:
http://www.casefortorah.com/content/galatians-chapter-3

Not really. You say they pass away, yet they dont. They are there for reference and study?....
ok. I read Hebrew and Galations like you asked. Hebrews just big up Christ and he's better than Moses.
Ok, doesn't prove your argument. Galations 3 does, if you take it out of context. Its a letter, as you know, written to Galatia, so you have to read
1 and 2 to get sense of what is really being said. Here's a breakdown:
http://www.casefortorah.com/content/galatians-chapter-3
The context I described it in was perfect, and in sync with the narrative.

As an example consider the case for circumcision:
  • Prior to Abraham circumcision was not a divine 'commandment'
  • God then made it a requirement for Abraham and his decendants
  • The requirement was then made a commandment during Moses' time, becoming part of the law or 'commandments'.
  • Any male born wanting to consider himself one of God's people was then required to observe this commandment, if not it was punishable. This was a law, a COMMANDMENT.
  • Now centuries down the line, the Christian congregation is created and god's chosen people are no longer exclusively made up of Jews. With that notice the COMMANDMENT that is done away with:
  • [h3]The Council at Jerusalem[/h3]
15 Certain people came down from Judea to Antioch and were teaching the believers:“Unless you are circumcised, according to the custom taught by Moses, you cannot be saved.” This brought Paul and Barnabas into sharp dispute and debate with them. So Paul and Barnabas were appointed, along with some other believers, to go up to Jerusalem to see the apostles and elders about this question.  The church sent them on their way, and as they traveled through Phoenicia and Samaria, they told how the Gentiles had been converted. This news made all the believers very glad.  When they came to Jerusalem, they were welcomed by the church and the apostles and elders, to whom they reported everything God had done through them.

Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said, “The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses.”

The apostles and elders met to consider this question.  After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them: “Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe.  God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us.  He did not discriminate between us and them, for he purified their hearts by faith.  10 Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors have been able to bear?  11 No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.”

12 The whole assembly became silent as they listened to Barnabas and Paul telling about the signs and wonders God had done among the Gentiles through them.  13 When they finished, James spoke up. “Brothers,” he said, “listen to me.  14 Simon[a]  has described to us how God first intervened to choose a people for his name from the Gentiles.  15 The words of the prophets are in agreement with this, as it is written:

16 “‘After this I will return
    and rebuild David’s fallen tent.
Its ruins I will rebuild,
    and I will restore it,
17 that the rest of mankind may seek the Lord,
    even all the Gentiles who bear my name,
says the Lord, who does these things’[b]—
18      things known from long ago.[c]

19 “It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God.  20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood.  21 For the law of Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath.”
This commandment was no longer required, and had henceforth served it's purpose. Similiar to the other laws that had served their purpose making way for a more superior Law, or COMMANDMENT if you will.

I think that makes some sense. No?

Last edited:
^ Yeah.

The law was how man would be saved in the old testament. They were the guidelines given to God's people that set them apart from everyone else through the obedience of it.

Jesus fulfilled the law and also gave a new commandment:

John 13:34 - A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

This was given because:

Romans 13: [sup]8 [/sup]Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. [sup]9 [/sup]For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” [sup]10 [/sup]Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Because love, is the fulfillment of the law.

John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

Love, is the fulfillment of the law. Love was how the law was fulfilled.

Back
Top Bottom