Tiger Mom: Some races are just better

Here's the link to the story:

http://nypost.com/2014/01/04/tiger-mom-some-groups-are-just-better-than-others/

Amy Chua, the self-proclaimed “Tiger Mom” who, in 2011, published a book arguing that Chinese women are superior mothers — thus their offspring superior children — has even more to say.
In “The Triple Package,” Chua and her husband, co-author Jed Rubenfeld, gather some specious stats and anecdotal evidence to argue that some groups are just superior to others and everyone else is contributing to the downfall of America.

Unsurprisingly, the Chinese Chua and the Jewish Rubenfeld belong to two of the eight groups they deem exceptional. In no seeming order of importance, they are:

* Jewish
* Indian
* Chinese
* Iranian
* Lebanese-Americans
* Nigerians
* Cuban exiles
* Mormons

View media item 727070
I'll wait for the "her daughters could get it" posts.

Last edited:
Hmm I figured all Asian cultures would be there. Nigerians, Iranians and Cuban exiles is a surprise. Also, I would have guessed Germans would be up there too.

Chua wrote about calling one of her two daughters “garbage” for being rude, dismissing a homemade birthday card as subpar (“I don’t want this — I want another one”), refusing to let her girls watch TV or participate in school plays or have sleepovers, of threatening to give away a beloved dollhouse if her daughter couldn’t master a complicated classical composition within days.

How can anyone subscribe to this? I hope she has fun when her daughters are coked out by 19. To me, it's a parenting fail and she's setting her kids up for some serious revolting when they get older. Chua is full of hot air...

For some reason I thought this was somehow related to .
dave-chappelle-tiger-woods-racial-draft.jpg

Chua wrote about calling one of her two daughters “garbage” for being rude, dismissing a homemade birthday card as subpar (“I don’t want this — I want another one”), refusing to let her girls watch TV or participate in school plays or have sleepovers, of threatening to give away a beloved dollhouse if her daughter couldn’t master a complicated classical composition within days.

How can anyone subscribe to this? I hope she has fun when her daughters are coked out by 19. To me, it's a parenting fail and she's setting her kids up for some serious revolting when they get older. Chua is full of hot air...
The daughters will most definitely wild out when they go away for college.

Those kids are going to be all kinds of ****** later on, if not already.

That's the thing though, they don't.

They grow up to be physicians, entrepreneurs, lawyers, etc.

Chinese culture is very different from American. Yes, we are raised a certain way, and to other cultures, it may seem extreme and/or inappropriate, and it might give the impression that we'll grow up to be ****** up and stuff, but for the most part, we all get through that phase and end up being much better for it academically and socially.

I don't necessarily agree with her belief that some cultures are superior to others - I think every culture has something to add. But there are definitely some cultures out there that value certain things above others and as a result, excel in those areas.

Last edited:

Chinese culture is very different from American. Yes, we are raised a certain way, and to other cultures, it may seem extreme and/or inappropriate, and it might give the impression that we'll grow up to be ****** up and stuff, but for the most part, we all get through that phase and end up being much better for it academically and socially.

I don't necessarily agree with her belief that some cultures are superior to others - I think every culture has something to add. But there are definitely some cultures out there that value certain things above others and as a result, excel in those areas.
it depends on what your values are, different cultures have different parenting styles and each parenting style will instill values of the respective culture. of course there are good and bad parents in every culture but a individualistic culture will more likely than not rase kids with individualistic values (there will be outliers). so the answer to the question depends on what traits you value and you do you define successful when it comes to children.

of course this all has to do with cultural values and traditions and not race, although some cultures consists of a majority of one race

it depends on what your values are, different cultures have different parenting styles and each parenting style will instill values of the respective culture. of course there are good and bad parents in every culture but a individualistic culture will more likely than not rase kids with individualistic values (there will be outliers). so the answer to the question depends on what traits you value and you do you define successful when it comes to children.

of course this all has to do with cultural values and traditions and not race, although some cultures consists of a majority of one race

Just saying that raising your children this way doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to be coked up by the time they're 19.

Hell, the Asians in my area who are coked up are usually the ones who were spoiled since birth, not the ones who were disciplined since birth.

Just saying that raising your children this way doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to be coked up by the time they're 19.

Hell, the Asians in my area who are coked up are usually the ones who were spoiled since birth, not the ones who were disciplined since birth.
yup, agreed

This is why parents fight at little league games.

People are doing way too much nowadays.

I have no problems with how she's raising her kids

Just don't like the ethnocentrism 

Back
Top Bottom