Tips on college

iblink

Banned
Feel free to drop some of your own personal gems:

Don't sweat these females. I promise, they will come.

Get your GPA up during your first two semesters. Chances are, by sophomore year, you'll have gotten into the swing of things and the desire to enjoy your college experience will trump your wanting to excel academically. You'll skip classes because of hangovers, forget to study because you were with a shorty, etc. Freshman year, you should finish with nothing less than a 3.0.

Think really hard about pledging. If you do go greek, take it from me, never lose touch with the person you were before the letters. It may seem like those dudes are living the life (and don't get me wrong, sometimes they really are), but that stuff fades.

Don't be that guy in any aspect. Don't try too hard but don't fail to try. The college crowd isn't concerned with who's doing it. 9 times out of 10, it back fires and you end up looking like a tool.

Diversify your friends. Too many different cultures for you to segregate yourself. You have to get acclimated to interacting with different groups because the real world isn't filled with a variety of people.

Live on campus your first year. Do not waste your time staying at home. You'll miss out on a lot.

Don't put off assignments until the week they're due.

School>everything else..

Keeping your life in balance > everything else

Plenty regret not working hard in school and focusing too much on partying and women. Just as plenty look back on life with regret and wish they had more fun and enjoyed being young. Getting an education and doing well should be the priority.. but it's important to figure out how to keep focused while taking advantage of the opportunities college might present. Meeting new people, getting involved in different organizations and causes, getting out of your comfort zone, networking and building relationships, etc.

Don't be afraid to meet New people...

Hermit people >>

Get in and get out

Don't get a girl pregnant.

I was thinking about this earlier today; for those who have graduated, please list cost saving tips too (ie renting books, etc)

I'm about to go back to school on my own dime and any help would be appreciated

J
I was thinking about this earlier today; for those who have graduated, please list cost saving tips too (ie renting books, etc)
I'm about to go back to school on my own dime and any help would be appreciated
there's a thread I started called GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NIKETALK. Great knowledge in there.

internships are just as important if not more than academics. trust me, i hire people for a living.

The old rules of highschool are thrown out window. Being mean, being clique-y and being the same as everyone else is not relevant to most college campuses because there are so many different individuals coming together. Because of this, learn from others in and out of the classroom. It's not like highschool where the same 100+ kids come together from the same neighborhood, same beliefs, where thinking/acting differently can get you ridiculed and outcasted.

Figure out your mode of studying ~

I would study for days on end and not really learn anything. After I figured out what worked for me, I can pull of A's without reading for the class.

3.0 is kind of low...
3.0 may seem low, but I know people who got internships with that GPA because they also have great communication and people skills.  I know a handful of over 3.7 with really horrible communication skills.  Firms do know that a high GPA does not equate to great employees.  So, in regards to that, polish up your resumes and cover letters, and improve on your communication skills.  Embrace those class presentations and do the best that you can.  The better you are at communicating, the easier it is for networking.  

Make friends with the smartest students and learn from their study habits.  

I agree with coolgraymemo, find a mode of studying that works best for you.  I am a senior majoring in accounting and I used to have a tough time studying for my classes.  I would do different problems over and over again, and would end up barely passing my exams.  It was so hard for me to grasp things conceptually.  I joined a study group with two of the smartest students, and saw how they approach studying.  What they did was they wrote instructions on how to solve the problems.  They would simplify a chapter of the book into one single sheet of paper.  When I used this approach of writing my own instructions, the problems did not matter anymore because I know the subject conceptually.  To top it off, one of my professors showed this quote on the first day of class, "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  A. Einstein.  Everyone is different, find what works for you.  

Buy international edition books on ebay it's the same as the regular edition at a much cheaper cost.
Do not let your grades slip. I got terrible grades my first year and it took me for ever to get my GPA up.
Study with other people for those tough subjects because it sparks a bit of competition among your group and thus results in higher grades.

make cheat sheets, stay healthy, don't cram, take classes you will be interested in, study by yourself, work hard and aim for a 4.0 but realize at the end of the day it doesn't mean all that much

Make use of the school gym :D
It clears your mind, relieves stress, and helps you stay healthy.

Don't become dependent on drinking too much, but don't be afraid to enjoy yourself. Have self-control

Last edited:
Try to figure out NOW where and when you can fit a semester or whole year of studying abroad into your college career. Land at least 2 internships pertaining to your career, and if not your career someone that can give you a bombass recommendation for grad school, resume, jobs, etc..

Get to know your professors!! I don't even care if it's one of those 300 kids jam packed auditorium classes, pop into their office hours every so often. I think professors offices are cool as shh, very therapeutic like Good Will Hunting vibe lol.. But you can pick their brains and let them know you're serious, and interested in the subjet, NO suck up, asskissing tho.

Surround yourself with smart, intelligent people. Study groups, cute girls, etc.. Find a balance between social and school life.

Knock out 1-3 classes per summer, graduate early, or land better internships faster, also it gives you more opportunities to take classes that interest you later in your career.

If you're required to take a foreign language, you might as well minor in the shh, its usually only 4-5 more classes.

*Get a study group for each class
*If you want that 4.0 make sure you do everything possible that includes passing up weekends with your friends.
*The more you step out of your comfort zone and willing to meet new people and culture the better off you will be.
*Always rent your books unless their a subject you feel that will do some good in the future. NEVER BUY FROM THE STORE. If you do buy Amazon and etc sell back on Amazon or to students on campus.
*Sit in the front and make sure to look interested in what the teacher has to say. Sitting in the back makes you look like you don't care.

Summer school >>>>>>

Teachers are more chill, classes are more fun, and you stay in the groove.

Don't see how people can go home for the summer and just sit there. :x

kind of obvious but never buy books from the bookstore.

If you have scholarships don't slack off and risk losing them

also, ratemyprofessor>*

make cheat sheets, stay healthy, don't cram, take classes you will be interested in, study by yourself, work hard and aim for a 4.0 but realize at the end of the day it doesn't mean all that much
Don't listen to this guy. Everyone isn't good at cheating and they pay for it dearly. A zero in the class is worse than an D on a exam.

Dorm life:

-Everyone on your floor is anxious to meet new people, so don't feel like you're the only one that doesn't know anyone. Very few people come to their school already having their group of friends.

-Come to an agreement with your roommate regarding rules. If your RA doesn't force you to at the beginning of the year, its a must that you do this just to set a standard.

-Always lock your door when you are not in your room. All it takes is ten seconds for someone to steal a laptop, phone or iPod/Pad. When your roommate leaves, make sure they lock the door too.

-If you don't do your laundry regularly at home, break that habit in college. The rooms are small and old laundry will make your room pretty much inhabitable.

-Clean your room often. You never know when you'll have company whether it be a girl you met at a party or the president of the University with board members (this happened to me).

-Have your own toilet paper, paper towels and disinfectant on deck. When nature calls, you can't wait for the cleaning crew to always have the bathroom ready for you. They clean them once per day.

-Avoid beef. You are stuck in that living situation for the school year and it will just make things awkward.

-If you must drink/smoke, do so in a way that you won't get caught. If you're drinking, lock your door. All it takes is a nosy RA to walk in and write you up for you to be taking AlcoholEdu classes again. If you smoke, open your windows and cover the smoke detector.

-Flip flops, flip flops, flip flops. Do not take a shower barefoot. People piss and jerk off in the shower.

Classes/Academics:

-If you have a question, ask. The class also has that question, but is too afraid to ask.

-Make use of your professor's office hours. They'll remember you at the end of the semester and will give you a bump if you are on the border line. Also, they are good just to talk to. Some of my professors were awesome people outside of the classroom.

-Figure out what style of studying works for you. Studying for days on end doesn't work for every one, likewise for cramming.

-If your professor allows it, audio record the lectures. Not all do.

-Make a friend to get notes from just in case you miss class.

-Keep up with your syllabus. This isn't high school. There are little to no reminders for when assignments are due.

-Keep up with the attendance policy. Some are strict while some are liberal.

-If you're having trouble in your class, get a tutor. There's no shame in asking for help.

-If you need to drop a class, do so before the deadline. A withdrawal is much worse because it stays on your transcript.

-Major in what interests you. Just figure out how to make money from it, if it isn't "in demand". In regards to that, people from all majors are having some difficulty finding employment.

-Take classes that interest you. One of the best classes I ever took was Sports Management 205 and 225.

-Don't ever buy a book from the bookstore unless you have to. You will get a fraction back when you go to sell it at semester's end. Rent your books from Chegg or check your library for textbooks and novels. They are all there.

Social life/Campus life:

-Being shy isn't cute anymore. You have to learn to get out of that shell not just for girls, but for your life after college.

-Have balance between a healthy social life and academics. I know way too many people that were kicked out of school or their parents pulled them out because all they did was party and hang out while getting sub 2.0 GPA.

-Don't be one of those guys who's only seen by other people when he's only going to class or the dining hall. Being away from home takes its toll emotionally and psychologically for some people and it is great to have someone to talk to when you need them.

-Know your limit when you drink. No one likes a drunk. As the saying goes, she was cute when she's drunk until she throws up on your shoes. YOLOing it and ending up in the hospital gets you no points. You'll also have another headache in addition to your hangover when your parents are notified by the university and hospital.

-Don't rely on your parents for money. Despite the fact you'll see many affluent people at school, having a job isn't something to be ashamed of. You want your own money to do things you want like taking your girlfriend out on a date.

-Going Greek isn't for everyone. I tried my sophomore year and the house that I accepted a bid to wasn't for me.

-Hang out with people that aren't from your background. College is about expanding your horizons and learning something new (pause). If you wanted to hang out with people who looked like you, you could have stayed home to do that.

-Stay in shape and eat right. College by far were the years I was best in shape for a number of reasons. The main one being that you don't want to get sick far from home. Another was maintaining a good sense of self esteem. Third was the "freshman 15" does exist. Some people absolutely take a dive because of all the junk food that is offered.

-This is NT so I know most of us like to get fly. Wear what you want to wear to class. If you want to go looking like you rolled out of bed, do you. Some people say, bring five pairs of sneakers to bum around in. Screw that. If you want to bring your kicks with you to school, do so. Bring at the most your eight favorite pairs, a pair of boots, exercise sneakers and a pair of shoes. Adjust your wardrobe for the climate that your school is located in. I went to school where it was cold for the majority of the year. I kept at least one coat with me at the end of the school year, because its been known to snow deep into June and it happened to snow the week of graduation.

Feel free to add more.
also, ratemyprofessor>*
I don't recommend it just off the biases. Some students that felt they were given a grade they didn't deserve take it out there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom