***Transformers 2:Revenge Of The Fallen***

Hey_
Spoiler [+]
I'm not particularly a fan of Michael Bay, while going in to see this movie I reminded myself that he was not a director of actors nor story, and I was spot on as usual. He bigs himself of buy referencing his other films as well too, T1 must have gone to his head a bit.

Prior to seeing this, I would have credited him as just a good action director, now I'd just label him a special effects guy and really nothing more.

For the first 90 minutes of the movie, we really have NO IDEA what its about. We're taken instead on some ridiculous journey following Sam W's two day stint at college, separation from his girl, and his over the top parents. For a movie that is titled, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, why doesn't the movie revolve solely around the mechanical dudes? Honestly, I could have enjoyed the movie immensely if we had just seen some development of the Transformers themselves (I could have wholeheartedly gone without any human counterparts). The only mech we understand a bit about is Optimus Prime (who is again voiced by Peter Cullen), I guess you could also say Megatron (voiced by Hugo Weaving of Agent Smith of the Matrix fame), but thats just the basic "good vs. evil" dymanic. Since the first movie, we both sides have acquired comrades, and we were never directly introduced to them. You're lucky if you catch their names in passing.

One guy I was glad to see used effectively was Soundwave, he totally made sense as an agent of espionage. Spying on the communication of our protagonists by humpin' a satellite? Dopeness. They also got the dude's og voice actor as well, so kudos for that.

There is an old adage along the lines of "imitation is the sincerist form of flattery." which I WOULD like to apply here, but I just can't. Bay takes elements of Terminator, The Matrix, Species and throws them in a blender and hits "shred". Early in the film we're introduced to a Decepticon who happens to have the ability to turn into a hot chick, seeing as Terminator Salvation released this same summer, it would have been much wiser to omit this all together. Unfortunately, the biting doesn't stop there. There is a scene in which Deception "The Doctor" unleashes a probe bot (probicon?) on Sam W. Somewhere Thomas Anderson wants his royalties.

To the movie's credit, there is a cool fight scene with Optimus in the first 60 mins of the movie, which would have been much better placed near THE END OF THE FILM. The most developed mech character is removed almost immediately. WHY?! This leaves us with boooring human characters and torrid attempts at comedy. From the gags attempted and the horrible comedic timing, you can tell Bay has that "frat boy" brand of humor. Its almost as if Judd Apatow's crew came and threw him a couple bones. Personally, that type of humor is played out to me. I didn't find anything particularly funny, except for Sam's roommate doin' his thing at the museum.

As a result of the antics at the museum, we meet Jetfire. The Decrepicon serves as easy way for the writers to transport one group of protagonists from one place to another, by teleporting. Yup, teleporting. Nevermind the fact that he's a jet and could have flown them, an older model bot has much more advanced tech than the new jacks.

The last act is where it just loses me. Sure we get some cool special effects (Devastator!), but the story is just becomes super silly when Sam dies. No amount of cpr and use of defribulator can help him, only a chat with the Primes in Transformers Heaven.

Seriously, I'm not kidding.

This entire movie is predictable. Its transparent, and has a lazy and uninspiring script.

The pacing is ALL over the place, its confusing as to what he was tryna play at certain points in the film. Is this a comedy? Is it an edgy action flick? What?

Random slow motion sequences irked the heck outta me too.

Anyhow, while my review seems somewhat negative, I did enjoy seeing the special effects and for that I'd say see it at a matinee.

Spend no more than $5 to see it though.
Julius F. Wrek

Quick question to everyone, did they show any movie previews before transformers? They showed nothing on mine and tickets were mad expensive, $16.50 each smh

Just got back from seeing it. I thought it was very entertaining, but I also agree with all of the negatives mentioned in here.

-The action scenes were
eek.gif
. That scene where Optimus was putting in work was
eek.gif
1ec34e268a23b8f25e30380e3e614fe10567fe.gif
, but there were also many times when you couldn't distinguishthe characters from each other. The cgi wasn't as smooth as the first one.
-What was up with the mom? Why was she spazzing out like that?
-Movie was OD long, there was a lot of filler and parts just seemed to drag forever.
-The innuendo and sappy love scenes did nothing but destroy the flow of the movie.
-What happens to the robot girl she disappears at the beginning of the movie never to be see again.
-The twins got on my last nerves, I was hoping both of them would be killed.
-I'm still not understanding the part where Sam dies and goes to robot heaven, before coming back to life

All in all, it was a very entertaining movie just could have been a lot better.

Transformers 1 >>> Transformers 2

Hey_

Originally Posted by you big dummy

Just got back from seeing it. I thought it was very entertaining, but I also agree with all of the negatives mentioned in here.

-The action scenes were
eek.gif
eek.gif
, but there were also many times when you couldn't distinguish the characters from each other. The cgi wasn't as smooth as the first one.
-Movie was OD long, there was a lot of filler and parts just seemed to drag forever.
-The innuendo and sappy love scenes did nothing but destroy the flow of the movie.
-What happens to the robot girl she disappears at the beginning of the movie never to be see again.
-I'm still not understanding the part where Sam dies and goes to robot heaven, before coming back to life

- Weed brownie.

- Megan Fox's character kills her by crashing into a pole while the jumpofficon is on the hood of her car.

Julius F. Wrek

Am I the only one who thinks the movie would have been better if OP stayed dead in this one and Megatron and em won?

Then in the 3rd the Autobots come back stronger by reviving OP and so on...

how about the retired military gu climbing the pyramid while that other bot was climbing also and he was literally right under him, brick falls all over theplace and the guy never gets touched once
laugh.gif

Saw it Thursday, movie started at 10pm, I didn't leave the theatre until quarter to 1am, way too long. I was nodding out heavy. Movie was average atbest, only part that got me semi-amped was the decepticon dog.

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

how about the retired military gu climbing the pyramid while that other bot was climbing also and he was literally right under him, brick falls all over the place and the guy never gets touched once
laugh.gif
I noticed this too. Had me
laugh.gif
in the theater.

Originally Posted by philly5fan

Originally Posted by Julius Wrek

Hey_

Saw it yesterday, I'll add my review later today.

Julius F. Wrek

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
@ homies "transform" noise..

But I agree with what they're saying, just a little extreme
laugh.gif

- Trillions of dollars are spent and thousands of people have died (submarine, aircraft carrier, University students, jordan military etc...) to kill off one
robot???????
Lol. Or how about to stop the Sun from being destroyed?

This may be a bit random, but was it just me or did that robot chick have a weird tan?
nerd.gif

June 29, 2009
[h1]'Transformers' Sequel Scores Big Win[/h1]
By BROOKS BARNES

LOS ANGELES - Horrid reviews couldn't dent "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen," which demonstrated once again the power of sequels by selling an estimated $201.2 million in tickets at North American theaters over its first five days.

The huge No. 1 entrance to the marketplace was on par with last summer's Batman sequel, "The Dark Knight," which sold $203.8 million in tickets over the same period and now ranks as one of the biggest blockbusters in movie history with over $1 billion in global sales. Overseas "Transformers" sold $186 million in tickets in its first five days.

The summer movie season has already seen some significant hits, among them a "Star Trek" reboot and "Up," but it took a true sequel to break the bank. ("Terminator Salvation" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," while technically sequels, were more efforts to take franchises in new and unfamiliar directions in hopes of resuscitating them.)

People complain about Hollywood's tendency to be unadventurous with its big-money titles, but the moviegoing masses clearly get the most excited when they are not being surprised. In other words, the multiplex really rocks when movies are served up the McDonalds way: predictably and comfortably.

"Transformers" is definitely that. This PG-13 picture, heavily reliant on computer-generated imagery, again centers on warring alien robots. The evil Decepticons return to Earth to hunt for an ancient power source that only a geeky college freshman (Shia LaBeouf) can locate. The good Transformers join forces with human armies to stop them. Megan Fox costars.

Few expect this "Transformers" to match the staying power of "The Dark Knight" because the new picture, directed by Michael Bay, with Steven Spielberg as executive producer, has received some of the worst reviews of the decade. Roger Ebert's critique used the terms "horrible," "unbearable," "meager" and "music of hell" to describe it. (And that was just in the opening paragraph.)

Drawing particular scrutiny are two new robots, Skids and Mudflap, who talk in jive and are portrayed as illiterate; one has a gold tooth. Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, two of the three credited screenwriters on the movie (the other is Ehren Kruger), have blamed Mr. Bay for the stereotyping. The director has brushed off the criticism in interviews.

Paramount Pictures, which distributed the movie and co-produced it with DreamWorks, noted that ticket sales increased day by day, something that typically demonstrates positive word of mouth.

"Audiences evaluate movies for what they are, and this one is a big, fun visual-effects spectacular," said Rob Moore, Paramount's vice chairman. Mr. Moore said he was pleased that the sequel attracted more women than its predecessor did.

The stratospheric results for "Transformers" validate Hollywood's recent strategy to build more event movies around toys. Paramount will try its luck in August with the big-budget "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra;" Universal just announced "Stretch Armstrong," based on the Hasbro action figure.

"Transformers," which cost well over $200 million to make and market, added electricity to the summer box office, which has slowed down a bit following a robust spring. Total ticket sales for the year stand at about $5.13 billion, a 12 percent increase over the same period last year, according to Hollywood.com, which tracks box office results. Attendance is up 9.4 percent.

"The Proposal," the Sandra Bullock-Ryan Reynolds romantic comedy from Disney, landed in second place for the three-day weekend with an estimated $18.5 million in sales and a two-week total of $69.1 million, according to box office tracking services. The R-rated Warner Brothers comedy "The Hangover" continued to show strength in its fourth weekend with about $17.2 million (for a new total of $183.2 million). "Transformers" had about $122 million in weekend sales.
Rounding out the top five were "Up" (Disney) with about $13 million ($250 million total) and "My Sister's Keeper" (Warner), a drama staring Cameron Diaz that opened to a disappointing estimate of $12 million.
Link

Originally Posted by Shun Goku Satsu

jordanpinoy said:
i heard sam dies and comes back to life

Some bull $++ . Dude went to robot heaven and they gave him life again after the EMT's tried to revive him over and over. Come to think of it, this moviewas some BULL $++ !
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I was thinking about this today. Like, did this dude really stand at the gates of Autobot heaven at get revived back tolife?

These dudes tried to jam so much #++! into this that they completely missed the ball. Still copped nonetheless when released.

"People complain about Hollywood's tendency to be unadventurous with its big-money titles, but the moviegoing masses clearly get the most excited whenthey are not being surprised. In other words, the multiplex really rocks when movies are served up the McDonalds way: predictably and comfortably."

makes me so sad
frown.gif

hmm megan fox and shia lebouf run away from giant robots, with the help of optimus prime and bumblebee, because the decepticons want some controlling piece ofmetal....doesnt sound familiar at all

Watched it last night.. not too much of a movie Buff - but it dragged on for quite some time.

I thought they beat around the bush too long.

Megan Fox was frikken amazing, but I still think shes overrated.

The new chic (Isabel Lucas) wore too much makeup, but was hot nonetheless, wished she had her original Aussie accent.. and those panties.. what a tease!

tha old bot talking for like 4 hours, felt like punching him in the face

and dam michael bay cuts sooooooooo much
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Julius Wrek

Hey_

Originally Posted by you big dummy

-The action scenes were
eek.gif
eek.gif
, but there were also many times when you couldn't distinguish the characters from each other. The cgi wasn't as smooth as the first one.

- Weed brownie.

- Megan Fox's character kills her by crashing into a pole while the jumpofficon is on the hood of her car.

Julius F. Wrek
eek.gif
roll.gif

YO Wrek whats the next fan movie you seeing cause your reviews and the spill crews' be
laugh.gif

Movie was AWFUL. Especially the last 15 minutes. When dude went to Transformers heaven I almost got up and walked out.

Back
Top Bottom