Trent University or Peterbourough

Anyone go here or live here
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

i used to live in ptbo....my ex went to trent ...random fact but i heard this Try Real Education Next Time

random fact, the school you go to doesn't matter. Unless your a douche bag...then it matters a lot.

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

Originally Posted by forwardlean

random fact, the school you go to doesn't matter. Unless your a douche bag...then it matters a lot.
um yes it does matter

good response.

Here's why it doesn't matter.  You take, say, some bull %%+$ major at a good school like Western.  Lets say, Western Philosophy.  What are your options?  More school?  Then get a job at that school...putting books away in the library.  You could do an aerospace major at Ryerson and work at NASA (a friend of mine did this in fact).  I've been out of school for a while (I went to a very good one thinking the same thing you kids do) and I can tell you it means sweet *@%# all to a person hiring you for a paying job.

yah i think it matters more the in the states.
in canada, the education is pretty leveled...sooo youre good to go but i would never go to trent...im too much of a city guy

i mingled with townies....they are into different things....and ptbo mans can ball....pcvs was top notch

um yes it does matter

good response.

Here's why it doesn't matter.  You take, say, some bull %%+$ major at a good school like Western.  Lets say, Western Philosophy.  What are your options?  More school?  Then get a job at that school...putting books away in the library.  You could do an aerospace major at Ryerson and work at NASA (a friend of mine did this in fact).  I've been out of school for a while (I went to a very good one thinking the same thing you kids do) and I can tell you it means sweet *@%# all to a person hiring you for a paying job.

that's an unfair comparison. let's say 2 people do the same major at 2 different schools, same grades, same work experience, etc. obviously the school's reputation is gonna be the deciding factor, theyre not gonna pick a name out of a 59FIFTY fitted hat

um yes it does matter

good response.

how is someone this ******ed chilling with rocket scientists.

Originally Posted by BrOwNiN187

um yes it does matter

good response.

Probably the same genetic defect that causes one to think this season is somehow a "comeback" for the Raptors.  But then you have that homophobia deal too...so I'm not the right person to ask.  If you want to participate in an adult conversation, please, feel free to do so in the appropriate fashion.

I will respond to the wife beating baseball players comments now...they're intelligent. 

I think you're looking at it just on the surface.  I don't know where you are at this point in your careers, but I happen to work for a very large company (and have done for a while) that hires very educated people (from very difficult disciplines like biochemistry, physics, molecular biology etc).  I can tell you, without hesitation, that no one really cares where you went to school.  I think your example is correct in theory, but you're eliminating the factor of the individual.  Where it would matter is from a networking perspective.  Everyone in my division came out of some research lab at a Canadian University.  It gets to be a small world at this point and generally everyone knows the big players at major schools. That matters, but certainly no one has got a job based solely on where they went to school.

I'm assuming BrOwNiN and Elijah are still in school?

u mad? i work for one of the biggest multinational companies in the world brah....GPA and school doesn't matter? I'm sure you can find graphs out there of that correlate salary and prestige of school.

just your example of comparing someone who did aerospace engineering at a mid-tier university and a better university but a $@#+@#+! undergrad like philosophy shows how out of touch you are.....

even if you chose a proper comparison (ryerson engineering v. waterloo engineering for example) they'd still pick the Waterloo grad 10 times out of 10...This is the free market economy son...Why would a company hire a bunch of idiots to do genius work. Obviously connections and GPA come into play...But if they are both even in every aspect but one went to Waterloo and the other went to ryerson, you really think that holds no weight?

show me the logic in that comparison and i'd read your comments and take them in as information...UNPOSSIBLE

and you point out im homophobic? sue me that i can't stomach a dude in $+!-less chaps playing hops-scotch on church st.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

stocking mail at this multinational?  Clearly you've never hired someone, or been involved in the process.  I've never discounted GPA once in my statements here, so feel free to take a different angle and argue something different.  I think that's a deficit in reading comprehension isn't it?

And in an interview situation, a job NEVER comes down to a tie breaker on something as trivial as where you went to school.  The reason is because its irrelevant to the needs and wants of a company. I'm sure you'd like to think that the guys that hired you selected you for every reason BUT the fact you went to a good school. 

And yeah dude, you're homophobic.  At least you recognize it though.  Based on my experience, the HR department at the multinational you work at would care much more about your homophobia than the crest printed on the top of your degree.

ya you mad

brb getting my western philosophy degree from western

brb designing a space shuttle

um yes it does matter

good response.

Probably the same genetic defect that causes one to think this season is somehow a "comeback" for the Raptors.  But then you have that homophobia deal too...so I'm not the right person to ask.  If you want to participate in an adult conversation, please, feel free to do so in the appropriate fashion.

I will respond to the wife beating baseball players comments now...they're intelligent. 

I think you're looking at it just on the surface.  I don't know where you are at this point in your careers, but I happen to work for a very large company (and have done for a while) that hires very educated people (from very difficult disciplines like biochemistry, physics, molecular biology etc).  I can tell you, without hesitation, that no one really cares where you went to school.  I think your example is correct in theory, but you're eliminating the factor of the individual.  Where it would matter is from a networking perspective.  Everyone in my division came out of some research lab at a Canadian University.  It gets to be a small world at this point and generally everyone knows the big players at major schools. That matters, but certainly no one has got a job based solely on where they went to school.

yes i'm still in my undergrad, at U of T, but I don't let that be the reason why I think reputation matters.  Can I ask what type of company you work for?
I've had a fair amount of work experience in a variety of fields, including a co-op term at the reputable Investment Firm of Raymond James, and the people working there said it's better off going to a good school because it does matter.  I've had a lawyer tell me the same when I mentioned York or U of T.  It's not bums telling me this info, it's people with respectable careers.  So i'm basing my argument off what they have mentioned as well.  There's a reason why Schulich is very reputable for business. U of T & Waterloo for engineering.  the best programs are offered in those schools for their respective fields, hence, better graduates.  

um yes it does matter

good response.

yes i'm still in my undergrad, at U of T, but I don't let that be the reason why I think reputation matters.  Can I ask what type of company you work for?
I've had a fair amount of work experience in a variety of fields, including a co-op term at the reputable Investment Firm of Raymond James, and the people working there said it's better off going to a good school because it does matter.  I've had a lawyer tell me the same when I mentioned York or U of T.  It's not bums telling me this info, it's people with respectable careers.  So i'm basing my argument off what they have mentioned as well.  There's a reason why Schulich is very reputable for business. U of T & Waterloo for engineering.  the best programs are offered in those schools for their respective fields, hence, better graduates.  
I work for a high-tech company as a consultant for scientific imaging equipment.  We sell directly to researchers in the university/government sectors. We are people with excellent business acumen and a very strong technical background from an applications perspective. 

I think your correct with respect to certain fields (ie. Engineering from Waterloo versus an engineering degree at Nipising). Maybe in fields where you come from school and do exactly the same thing in business (accounting maybe?), the school you went to would really count for something.

What I disagree with is that it carries some level of weight as far as decision making in hiring for a job.  Perhaps in some very incestuous fields this may be the case, but I would argue that it would be a poor manager who hires someone on the basis of where the went to school.  If the guy your interviewing with went to the same school you did, then you could potentially find some common ground and build a rapport with him to get ahead in the interview.  But perhaps the guy who's hiring you went to one of the "lesser schools" and in this case a degree from a more renowned school may hurt you, from resentment/or this perception that you're some how better.

Every industry is different, but if you can demonstrate your skill set and speak in an informed way about the position you're trying to get and how you can/could get it, the school matters very little. 

^ fair enough, each industry is definetely different. McGill is ranked the best university in Canada but I'm almost positive not all their grads are hired.
my conclusion after reading your latest reply is: going to a good school does not hurt, it will either benefit you or just be a neutral factor.
Which in the end, it's generally better to aim high and go to a reputable school.
and for the record, i have never heard GPA being a factor in being hired... can you add some insight into this?

Aiming high is always the idea, but it doesn't mean you're going to not achieve the same things in your career if you didn't get into your first choice school.  I actually think that stat about hiring grads is BS.  Universities are so much like a business its sickening.  They get money based on the amount of students they can get in, and I can guarantee there is a formula worked out for the optimum amount of students that get the school the most money.  There is power in advertising and the "hiring" number is a selling feature.  It certainly doesn't hurt to go to a good school, and in my opinion, it should always be the focus of your studies relating to what the institution can offer.  With that said, there isn't a great disadvantage going to a school that isn't top of your discipline.  You're not going to be any less of an engineer if you study at Guelph vs. Waterloo. 

As for GPA, its hard to say.  What I do know is that if you're going to get hired by a company, they don't ask for marks until you've been given the green light.  Its basically just a way of checking up on your credentials after they decide to hire you by asking for a transcript.  After all, anyone can put they graduated from where ever on their resume.  Plus, the marks mean nothing to the person in HR.  My 78 (or whatever it was) in my genomics class means sweet FA to the HR personnel.  Marks definitely matter if you want to pursue grad studies, and I would say that where you got those marks matters too....but that seems obvious to me.  If you're competing for a post graduate position in a research lab or business school, every bit counts. 

^ fair enough, each industry is definetely different. McGill is ranked the best university in Canada but I'm almost positive not all their grads are hired.
my conclusion after reading your latest reply is: going to a good school does not hurt, it will either benefit you or just be a neutral factor.
Which in the end, it's generally better to aim high and go to a reputable school.
and for the record, i have never heard GPA being a factor in being hired... can you add some insight into this?

Well, one could go to a less prestigious school for undergrad, get good grades (plus do well in the appropriate entrance test) and study law, medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, etc. where it doesn't matter much where you graduated from. In cases like this, going to a school that you like outweighs going to one that Macleans says is the best. 

For summer internships, co-ops and new graduates in highly competitive fields (technical or professional designation), GPAs are typically required for the hiring process. Anything after that they're pretty much a non factor.
If you're in a very technical field, there are differences in going to the best and the worst schools -- but it's up to the student to take advantage of these differences. In most cases there won't be any diference in comparing schools, but if you compare the top to the bottom, your employer is obviously going to favour the top. Schools can give you a significant head start in academic and real world knowledge, but typically the students that have been succesful to actually be able to "take advatnge" of this "head start" would have done well in any school they went to, IMO. 

There is a reason why recruiters target certain schools. In the end, it's work and professional related experience, and the individual (intangibles like passion, personality etc.,) that'll determine if you'll get hired. 

Oh yea, most employers will have a preference for a certain school in a certain field IF they consider school at all. ie. Waterloo Engineers, Ivey Business. When it coems to a general "X Graduated from University of Y," university name wouldn't matter. 

Back
Top Bottom