U.S. Navy to shoot down falling satellite first ever Earth - Space missile THURSDAY

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/02/18/satellite.intercept/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. Navy will likely attempt to shoot down a faulty spy satellite Thursday, the day after the space shuttle Atlantis is scheduled to land, two officials told CNN Monday. The officials -- who spoke on condition of anonymity because much of the planning remains classified -- said the idea is to leave as much time as possible so a second attempt could be made if necessary.

Because the 5,000-pound satellite malfunctioned immediately after launch in December 2006, it has a full tank of fuel. It would likely survive re-entry and disperse potentially deadly fumes over an area the size of two football fields, officials have said. The Navy plans to fire at the satellite as it enters Earth's atmosphere at an altitude of about 150 miles. Officials want the missile to hit the edge of the atmosphere to ensure debris re-enters and burns up quickly.

The Missile Defense Agency estimated the cost of a sea-based attempted intercept at $40 million to $60 million. Without any intervention, Pentagon officials have said they believe the satellite would come down on its own in early March.

The option of striking the satellite with a missile launched from an Aegis cruiser was decided upon by President Bush after consultation with several government and military officials and aerospace experts, said Deputy National Security Adviser James Jeffrey. NASA Administrator Michael Griffin said there's nothing the military can do to make the outcome worse.

"If we miss, nothing changes. If we shoot and barely touch it, the satellite is just barely in orbit" and would still burn up somewhat in the atmosphere, Griffin said. "If we shoot and get a direct hit, that's a clean kill and we're in good shape," he added.

Will is too busy filming a movie and no one can find Goldblum.

So whose setting the odds on this one...I cannot see them getting it on the first shot.

saw it on the news a while ago. i like how the us was just going hard on china for doing this, then we go and do it a month later.
alien.gif

Isn't this news a couple of weeks old? Either way, I think it's funny how Russia and China are so concerned about this... perceiving it as ademonstration on behalf of the U.S. to show our Military might. I swear we can never get anything right with the Chinese and Russians.
frown.gif

"If we miss, nothing changes. If we shoot and barely touch it, the satellite is just barely in orbit" and would still burn up somewhat in theatmosphere, Griffin said. "If we shoot and get a direct hit, that's a clean kill and we're in good shape," he added. .... .... did i readcorrectly...??????? is this why i pay taxes "if we miss,nothing changes." wdf?????what a idiot...UR NOT suppose to miss...dont they go to through asimulation and train for this stuff....and somehow George Bush is one of the top 10 presidents in history

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Why doesn't the government just send Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum?
laugh.gif
.......... why does the united states navy have to bail out the entire world on this? am i missing something?

"If we miss, nothing changes. If we shoot and barely touch it, the satellite is just barely in orbit" and would still burn up somewhat in the atmosphere, Griffin said. "If we shoot and get a direct hit, that's a clean kill and we're in good shape," he added.
dude sayin it like its a game
laugh.gif
tired.gif

40-60 mill just cuz you gone mess up an area the size of 2 football fields??
smh.gif

real life though, i think there's a meteor heading our way and this is one of the prelims
frown.gif

Originally Posted by shoecrazy77

did i read correctly...???????
is this why i pay taxes "if we miss,nothing changes." wdf?????what a idiot...UR NOT suppose to miss...dont they go to through a simulation and train for this stuff....and somehow George Bush is one of the top 10 presidents in history

roll.gif

"If we miss, nothing changes. If we shoot and barely touch it, the satellite is just barely in orbit" and would still burn up somewhat in the atmosphere, Griffin said. "If we shoot and get a direct hit, that's a clean kill and we're in good shape," he added. .... .... did i read correctly...??????? is this why i pay taxes "if we miss,nothing changes." wdf?????what a idiot...UR NOT suppose to miss...dont they go to through a simulation and train for this stuff....and somehow George Bush is one of the top 10 presidents in history

Um.....you do realize how fast sattelites are orbiting right?
laugh.gif

Let me put this into prespective for you. I'm going to stand on one side of the endzone of a football field and shoot a bullet out a pistol across thefield from sideline to sideline. You standing 100 yards away from me in the other endzone have a pistol aswell. My bullet is the satellite, your bullet is themissle. You have to hit my bullet with yours. You get one shot. Even with computer programming, it's alot easer said than done. Bush has nothing to do withthis. I doubt bush even knows half math needed to do this.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

"If we miss, nothing changes. If we shoot and barely touch it, the satellite is just barely in orbit" and would still burn up somewhat in the atmosphere, Griffin said. "If we shoot and get a direct hit, that's a clean kill and we're in good shape," he added. .... .... did i read correctly...??????? is this why i pay taxes "if we miss,nothing changes." wdf?????what a idiot...UR NOT suppose to miss...dont they go to through a simulation and train for this stuff....and somehow George Bush is one of the top 10 presidents in history

Um.....you do realize how fast sattelites are orbiting right?
laugh.gif

Let me put this into prespective for you. I'm going to stand on one side of the endzone of a football field and shoot a bullet out a pistol across the field from sideline to sideline. You standing 100 yards away from me in the other endzone have a pistol aswell. My bullet is the satellite, your bullet is the missle. You have to hit my bullet with yours. You get one shot. Even with computer programming, it's alot easer said than done. Bush has nothing to do with this. I doubt bush even knows half math needed to do this.

BusH had to give them the "OK" to go ahead and do it. But as you said he doesn't know the full extent of the Math needed to make a precisehit like that.

thats our greatest president's state of mind: "if it's broken, nuke it."

and did anybody catch how much each missile would cost?!? we sure could spend it on something a little more beneficial...

You also have to remember the satellite they are shooting down is fairly new. was launched in 2006. They dont want to risk any sensitive hardware surviving thereentry. And with the thing having a frozen fuel tank, it will hit hard and big pieces will survive reentry, any while chances of it hitting or harming anyoneare very small, USA lives on lawsuits, so they chose not to try their luck. and sure the frozen hydrazine may melt and vaporize during reentry and thepressure would eventually rupture tank into pieces. but why risk it.

wow, didnt know the aegis cruisers missle systems were that powerful and theyve been around for quite some time now. funny how when china pulled this off,people were posting like they did something spectacular when in reality its nothing serious.

Back
Top Bottom