UCSB Alumni (and current students): How did Isla Vista get this bad?

I know a lot of you have seen or heard about the riot in IV over the weekend :smh: Multiple stabbings, throwing bricks at cops, etc.?

View media item 904008

What the hell is this crap? I never experienced anything like that during my time there. Other than the typical frat @#$@, IV was :pimp: : hat :pimp:

I went there from 2007-2011, and the first few years were amazing.

I blame this guy:

View media item 903987
Ever since this clown Chris Par started the trend of inviting all of California to UCSB-only parties, every year has ended in a disaster. I'm not even exaggerating. This guy single-handedly ruined Isla Vista for eternity :x :smh: I've heard that he still roams IV even though he should've graduated 3 years ago :lol:

I'm not only gonna blame out of towners though. There's plenty of idiots like that guy^ who show up to get their bare minimum 2.0 and invite their entire group of low lives into town to create chaos.

I'm kinda ashamed to be a UCSB alumni right now. We were always known as the smart kids who knew how to have fun and still get good grades :smh: Now we're on the national news for being irresponsible, violent alcoholics rampaging and fighting cops

Last edited:
Current undergrad

My friend jokes around calls it a place of firsts, "First place you try cocaine, first place to get arrested" lol
I've always wanted to go for a UCSB halloween, even as a high-schooler.

:lol: yea that first time you step onto DP during Halloween is ridiculous :pimp:

It's just sad to me though. I haven't been back to SB since 2011, and I want to visit, but I'm always hearing about stabbings, robberies, rapes, etc these days and I change my mind. I don't want to sound like a typical old guy, but when I went there, you could walk the streets alone at 3-4 AM without any worry about getting jumped/robbed. Even with the bull @#$% slum condition apartments that you paid out your @#$ for, IV was a paradise

Last edited:
Been living here since 2009, from the bay but I went to SBCC for 3 years and UCSB for 2 years. Graduating this June and things just keep getting worse and worse in IV. I went from living on Del Playa for 3 years and hosting large parties, especially on events like Deltopia and Halloween, to barely going out during these crazy weekends. Since about 2011 (or earlier depending on who you talk to) things have been going down hill, cops are enforcing more rules and people from out of town multiply more and more every year (even on regular weekends).

The people from out of town are mostly responsible for the riots, but it's partly our (local communities) fault because we invite these people in.

Things are getting worse in IV, but Downtown SB has gotten a lot better :smokin, attracting more girls since IV has gone downhill and can be considered "unsafe" .

Last edited:
College years were 02 to 07. 
smokin.gif

I remember the first time I went to DP. Couldn't believe what I saw. Girls everywhere and no drama whatsoever. 

Back
Top Bottom