Under Armour X MLB DEAL 2020 = RIP, NIKE TAKING OVER!

Under Armour inks landmark deal with Major League Baseball
By Lisa Fickenscher
October 18, 2016 | 11:08pm

Under Armour batting glove worn by Bryce Harper.
Under Armour batting glove worn by Bryce Harper.
Photo: Getty Images
Under Armour just made the big leagues.

Major League Baseball inked a deal with the sports apparel maker to provide all uniforms, starting in 2020, sources said.

Current uniform supplier, Majestic Athletic — which has held the license since 2005, will remain in place for the next three seasons.

Terms were not disclosed.

The Under Armour deal will also sideline rival Nike, which has made the under layer shirts for MLB players since 2009.

Under Armour has multiple endorsement deals with individual athletes, including Washington Nationals star Bryce Harper, but it has never had a professional sports uniform gig until now.

Under Armour’s rise comes as Majestic’s star is fading.

The MLB business represents the lion’s share of Majestic’s portfolio, said NPD Group sports analyst Matt Powell, adding,“It’s the end of an era for Majestic,” which has had a licensing relationship with MLB since the 1980s, when it started to make batting practice jerseys. It has made the uniforms since 2005.

The 40-year-old company was founded by the Capobianco family and was bought in 2007 by VF Corp. — owner of The North Face, Timberland and Wrangler brands,
among others.

VF announced in March that it was exploring strategic alternatives for its $500 million Licensed Sports Group, which includes Majestic.

Fanatics, which got the wholesale portion of the MLB deal alongside Under Armour, according to sources, was rumored to be interested in Majestic.

Fanatics has denied the reports and did not return calls for comment.

Under Armour and MLB also declined to comment on the deal, first reported by Sports Business Daily.

Majestic, which makes uniforms in Easton, Pa., for MLB and for colleges, employs about 500 workers. Their contract expires in 2019.

Labor officials told the Baltimore Sun that they plan to fight for those jobs regardless of who has the MLB licensing rights.

https://www.nypost.com/2016/10/18/under-armour-inks-landmark-deal-with-major-league-baseball/amp/

If ua made harper some nice signature sneakers i'd buy them. The ones they made for cam newton were garbage. The ones for steph curry aren't bad.

How is UA doing all of this? I don't see a single soul buying their products.

They have the college endorsement game on lock right now.. Throwing just crazy stupid amounts to everyone.. That really can't be sustainable in any regard.

They have the college endorsement game on lock right now.. Throwing just crazy stupid amounts to everyone.. That really can't be sustainable in any regard.
Where do you live?

I see a lot of people wearing there work out gear all of the time.

They are at the point where they have to throw crazy money. They have to grow and they need the exposure to grow. That is also the reason why them and Adidas are also scooping up high teams left and right. They are have to start brand recognition early. Nike/JB/Adidas already has a built in consumer base for the next two or three generations. UA needs to make their product cool to kids and young adults. Who will in-turn have a familiarity and loyalty to the brand.

Also, UA is no where near broke, even with the recent rough patch, their stock has been a beast.

Last edited:

Kids love UA. All I see is youngins wearing Currys and in football they are all over the high school fields.

Majestic probably makes the best and most accurate authentic jerseys out of the 4 major sports, so in that respect it sucks for them to lose the contract.

But I'm more optimistic about under armour taking things over than I would be adidas or Nike because we know what we're going to get from them and quality and detail has been questionable with them.

Under armour is still a rather new company. They make decent products, I can see them putting more effort into things than a more established company. I'll reserve judgement on this one until they actually put stuff out.

That is also the reason why them and Adidas are also scooping up high teams left and right. They are have to start brand recognition early.

i dont see kiddie sweating da shoes, and most parents are just coppin their kids mini versions of what they already buy.

Last edited:
Around my way...

UA=rich white people clothing
Nike/Jordan= The hood dudes

*Kanye shrug*

I work in a middle school, UA shoes are most common ones.

I like UA t shirts and polos for golf.

Currently adidas shoes > nike. Boost is most comfortable thing out now.

Around my way...

UA=rich white people clothing
Nike/Jordan= The hood dudes

*Kanye shrug*

You read that somewhere because It came out recently that more wealthy people wear UA

It's crazy how many people you see wearing UA and it's not cheap either

Under Armor been scooping up colleges left and right in the past few seasons, personally the stuff is too expensive for me

ill use good old NY as my example here

I see UA a lot on people in The upper west side/deep in LI/westchester, etc.

I never see it in any of the rest of the boros, maybe in Staten Island.

You read that somewhere because It came out recently that more wealthy people wear UA

It's crazy how many people you see wearing UA and it's not cheap either

Na just based on what I've been observing dude. I live in a "white" neighborhood and almost everyone wears UA especially the guys wearing the polos. But when I go to the ghetto side it's all Nike. Again this is based on what I've been seeing

Back
Top Bottom