Upcoming college graduates...what do you have planned next?

I've been applying for jobs, getting a head start. Internships, too. Graduate the 15th of May, my birthday.

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS) - Sports Management, Communication, Political Science

Essentially like creating your own major.

gonna be difficult landing a job with your degree

Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS) - Sports Management, Communication, Political Science

Originally Posted by adiosburritos

Major means nothing. I graduated last spring. Grad school in fall, no matter what you major in, the economy socks. Rocket Scientists are unemployed.

Major means nothing. I graduated last spring. Grad school in fall, no matter what you major in, the economy socks. Rocket Scientists are unemployed.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

true up to a point
engineer and accounting majors for example are more highly recruited than poly sci and sociology majors 

Originally Posted by kix4kix

true up to a point
engineer and accounting majors for example are more highly recruited than poly sci and sociology majors 

Congrats to everyone graduating soon. I'll be done in May as well and I have no idea. I could be a store manager with the job I have now if all else fails but I'm really not trying to do that for long.

Congrats to everyone graduating soon. I'll be done in May as well and I have no idea. I could be a store manager with the job I have now if all else fails but I'm really not trying to do that for long.

I'm a Business Management major. What type of jobs you think I should look into applying for?

I tenatively graduate May 2012.

I'm a Business Management major. What type of jobs you think I should look into applying for?

I tenatively graduate May 2012.

Damn, scary question.

Im currently a finalist for a contest to travel this summer. I will find out on Friday if i've advanced to the next round. If i do get this opportunity, i'll be traveling around the world while doing photojournalism for 2 months.

After that, or whatever i do during the summer, i have a few jobs in mind here in Miami involving the arts and some nonprofits...

Just trying to find what i really like to "do" for a living first...

Damn, scary question.

Im currently a finalist for a contest to travel this summer. I will find out on Friday if i've advanced to the next round. If i do get this opportunity, i'll be traveling around the world while doing photojournalism for 2 months.

After that, or whatever i do during the summer, i have a few jobs in mind here in Miami involving the arts and some nonprofits...

Just trying to find what i really like to "do" for a living first...

Originally Posted by ItsGettinHot

Move to Hong Kong and teach English.
You fluent in Cantonese? I applied to teach English in Spain this summer, they said it didn't matter but my Spanish is elementary and that's being generous.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by ItsGettinHot

Move to Hong Kong and teach English.
You fluent in Cantonese? I applied to teach English in Spain this summer, they said it didn't matter but my Spanish is elementary and that's being generous.
30t6p3b.gif

^ I'm finished with grad in Decemeber. Thinking about looking into the JET program and teaching English as a second language in Japan. Great part about it is I don't need to know any Japanese and they pay for room and board while providing a paycheck... The suck part is I will probably have to use that money to pay off the 30k in student loans I have accumulated during grad school (it could be worse).

If I don't do the JET program I will more than likely look for a social work job. Graduation is a kinda scary thought for me at this time for many reasons:

1. It def means the end of an era for me, no more school will be a gift and a curse. I have very little real work expereince and even with all my internships I don't exactly feel prepared for this transition.

2. My Mother will no longer be footing my bills. I probably shouldn't be so proud of this but in my heart of hearts it would be wrong for me to act like I did all this on my own. My mom (and dad to extent) have def been a major benefactor in my success. I owe them (especially moms alot). As a single African-American woman with 2 kids she found a way to not only pay for my entire undergrad education (out-of-state at that) out of pocket but also made sure to keep me fly and pretty much gave me anything I ever needed (in addition to a whole lot of wants)

3. I have plans to move closer to my girlfriend. Unfortunately her job makes it difficult to begin planning exactly where that move may be (she has a corporate job that requires her to move again in about 6 months with the possibility of having to move again in about another year or 2). I hate the uncertainty that we have right now, while our location is stable I would love to say the same about our living arrangment.

4. I prolly could at more but I'm actually at my internship right now bsing... And I need to finish this damn Global Health exam meaning I gotta get off of NT....

^ I'm finished with grad in Decemeber. Thinking about looking into the JET program and teaching English as a second language in Japan. Great part about it is I don't need to know any Japanese and they pay for room and board while providing a paycheck... The suck part is I will probably have to use that money to pay off the 30k in student loans I have accumulated during grad school (it could be worse).

If I don't do the JET program I will more than likely look for a social work job. Graduation is a kinda scary thought for me at this time for many reasons:

1. It def means the end of an era for me, no more school will be a gift and a curse. I have very little real work expereince and even with all my internships I don't exactly feel prepared for this transition.

2. My Mother will no longer be footing my bills. I probably shouldn't be so proud of this but in my heart of hearts it would be wrong for me to act like I did all this on my own. My mom (and dad to extent) have def been a major benefactor in my success. I owe them (especially moms alot). As a single African-American woman with 2 kids she found a way to not only pay for my entire undergrad education (out-of-state at that) out of pocket but also made sure to keep me fly and pretty much gave me anything I ever needed (in addition to a whole lot of wants)

3. I have plans to move closer to my girlfriend. Unfortunately her job makes it difficult to begin planning exactly where that move may be (she has a corporate job that requires her to move again in about 6 months with the possibility of having to move again in about another year or 2). I hate the uncertainty that we have right now, while our location is stable I would love to say the same about our living arrangment.

4. I prolly could at more but I'm actually at my internship right now bsing... And I need to finish this damn Global Health exam meaning I gotta get off of NT....

My field(Speech Language Therapy) doesn't let you practice until you get your master's here in nyc.

So right now i'm planning on volunteering and hopefully getting a job involving autistic and other language impaired individuals.

Taking a year off before I head off to grad school.

My field(Speech Language Therapy) doesn't let you practice until you get your master's here in nyc.

So right now i'm planning on volunteering and hopefully getting a job involving autistic and other language impaired individuals.

Taking a year off before I head off to grad school.

Back
Top Bottom