USC Sanctions Released..Vol. No BCS For Them

Originally Posted by Nako XL

correct me if i'm wrong (and i probably am), but in the past didn't a "no bcs bowl game" ban not include the National Championship, i.e. if a team was on probation but still ran the table and was #1 in all the polls they can still play in the championship game?  that sounds wrong to me, but i remember an analyst saying that a few years back.

and even if they're forced to play in a non-bcs bowl, they can still be voted the AP #1.  So this won't destroy the legacy, or even completely kill recruiting as much as some would like to believe.
Won't destroy the legacy or affect the future? Look at what happened to Washington after the hammer dropped in the summer of '93.

laugh.gif
Nickell Robey
laugh.gif
Glenn Stanley
laugh.gif
Jesse Scroggins
laugh.gif
Kyle Prater

hey Mitch, we 've got a spot open for you, come play for the Vols back in the SEC, u can always come home again
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The Movement can be Movin in 2010 son.

laugh.gif
@ bowl ban and scholly limits wont do as much damage? what *#+#!# universe are you from?

U better do the knowledge and learn some history.

it takes quite some time to recoup from such punishment.

SMU, Miami, Alabama, Washington ...
smh.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

laugh.gif
@ bowl ban and scholly limits wont do as much damage? what *#+#!# universe are you from?

smh.gif

%+#! you @@%*%!, i'm tryna find the silver lining!
laugh.gif

Bama was fine, we will be too.

the ncaa is ******ed for this tho.  they keep trying to prove the point that they can police their association when the schools fail to, but they're doing it wrong. they don't win any respect by picking and choosing when to drop the guillotine on peoples' necks.

Apparently any JR or SR has free reign to leave and will be eligible to play next year if they choose to transfer.

Mass exodus?

so both USCs football and basketball programs are currently under sanction.. THAT is embarrassing. i don't understand how anybody could root for the Trojans athletics. even if you are an alumnus you should be hanging your head in shame right now.
roll.gif
roll.gif

Haters congregation.....

USC will appeal the two-year bowl ban according to source who saw the report.
Scholarships will be lost, there is a possibility that the bowl ban will be reduced or lifted.  It ain't over
wink.gif

Originally Posted by YoungBuck32

http://www.latimes.com/sp...20100610,0,7548894.story

LA Times is reporting they'll lose more than 20 scholarships. That's going to put the program in a way more difficult position for their future than the post-season ban.
This. USC is still going to get the top recruits in the country, if they continue to win, stay on national tv, and get those guys in the league. But losing twenty plus scholarships could be the decline of the program. 

hey Mitch, we 've got a spot open for you, come play for the Vols back in the SEC, u can always come home again

Why would Mitch go to a school that's been banned from BCS bowls for a decade now?

laugh.gif

smh.gif

SMU got the death penalty.

UW did crumble.

Do you think Miami and Bama struggled mightily because of the scholarships or because of the coaches they had in place?  (Serious question).

Bama got slapped in 2002, while being coached by Dennis Franchione, who really wasn't committed to Bama.  Then Mike Price happened, then Mike Shula happened.  Then....*drumroll* Nick Saban came along, got the boosters to open up the checkbooks....Bama is back on top.

You seriously think it took Miami a long time to recoup.....
roll.gif
roll.gif
.  They had a two so-so years (1996 and 1998) and one bad year (1997), then they went on a run of dominance.  If that is what you call "time to recoup", I will take it 'cause those Cane teams were stacked despite the fact they lost over 30 scholarships.

We'll be alright, lose some scholarships (eh!) and the bowl ban will probably end up being similar to Miami's (1 year) when it's all said and done.

Look at what happened to Washington after the hammer dropped in the summer of '93.

I would be worried, except for the fact that USC is not Washington...no offense.  UW plays in obscurity (Northwest), SC plays in a major market.  SC will rebound like Bama and Miami, storied programs always bounce back.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

the ncaa is ******ed for this tho.  they keep trying to prove the point that they can police their association when the schools fail to, but they're doing it wrong. they don't win any respect by picking and choosing when to drop the guillotine on peoples' necks.
the thing is, they couldnt really ignore this. those Reggie Bush rumors were everywhere, thanks to Yahoo Sports.. once something like that comes out the NCAA has to investigate thoroughly. not to mention that the basketball program just got caught slipping as well.

every college football fan knows that if any program deserved the guillotine, USC was looong overdue.

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

NCAA is real smart to punish kids for something that happened when they were 12.

Makes a lot of sense...

Exactly. RIP USC's football program. Definitely not fair for the dude's that's there. 

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Do you think Miami and Bama struggled mightily because of the scholarships or because of the coaches they had in place?  (Serious question).

Bama got slapped in 2002, while being coached by Dennis Franchione, who really wasn't committed to Bama.  Then Mike Price happened, then Mike Shula happened.  Then....*drumroll* Nick Saban came along, got the boosters to open up the checkbooks....Bama is back on top.

You seriously think it took Miami a long time to recoup.....
roll.gif
roll.gif
.  They had a two so-so years (1996 and 1998) and one bad year (1997), then they went on a run of dominance.  If that is what you call "time to recoup", I will take it 'cause those Cane teams were stacked despite the fact they lost over 30 scholarships.

Don't underestimate the effect of a major scholarship reduction. It's even worse nowadays than when we had to go through it. As much as I may have had issues with Butch Davis, he was the right coach to have during probation. Without him we would have definitely suffered more from the penalties that were imposed. 
One of things Butch was able to do was find creative ways to bypass some of the scholarship reductions, which the NCAA has now banned. To be able to sign a few extra players than what the NCAA allowed helped a lot. Though the ways Butch added those few players have now been banned by the NCAA. In addition, Butch's eye for talent was able to make up for some of the lack of depth that was there.

Back
Top Bottom