Vick and Burress to miss most of 2009 season vol. Give Mike a break

I actually just came home from a prison bid 11 days ago so I can relate to the Vick situation.

I can't go back to the company I was working for and slide right back into my 6 figure job. In fact, it may take me a couple of years before I'll even begin to sniff the amount of money I was making.

The thing is I knew the consequences of my actions so I can't expect anything, from here on out, to be handed to me on a silver platter so pardon me if I feel that Goodell is justified in his ruling.

The funny thing is, while you clowns are crucifying Goodell for his decisions, I can almost guarantee that Vick is ok with everything Goodell is laying out for him and is just happy to be out of prison. There's more to life than just %#+!@#% football and I'm sure Vick has come to realize that and is actually getting something out of the various community services/jobs he's performing.
I feel you on that and I am sure Vick is happy as a clam right now. But, like you, Mike Vick has paid his debt allow the man to live. thatdoesn't mean anybody is going to sign him or give him a chance. But don't take away the opportunity. That's like the judge sayin to you after youget out nobody can hire you for 6,7, 8, or 12 months after you get out of jail. IMO that just ain't right.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

I actually just came home from a prison bid 11 days ago so I can relate to the Vick situation.

I can't go back to the company I was working for and slide right back into my 6 figure job. In fact, it may take me a couple of years before I'll even begin to sniff the amount of money I was making.

The thing is I knew the consequences of my actions so I can't expect anything, from here on out, to be handed to me on a silver platter so pardon me if I feel that Goodell is justified in his ruling.

The funny thing is, while you clowns are crucifying Goodell for his decisions, I can almost guarantee that Vick is ok with everything Goodell is laying out for him and is just happy to be out of prison. There's more to life than just %#+!@#% football and I'm sure Vick has come to realize that and is actually getting something out of the various community services/jobs he's performing.
EXACTLY!!!

People really think that Vick is ENTITLED or has the RIGHT to play in the NFL. You can't just finish a bid and assume your job is going to welcome youback with open arms. Things just don't work that way.

Good insight Malta...

EXACTLY!!!

People really think that Vick is ENTITLED or has the RIGHT to play in the NFL. You can't just finish a bid and assume your job is going to welcome you back with open arms. Things just don't work that way.
But remember this is NT. When your favorite athlete gets busted doing something dumb and criminal, to start off it's the cops fault for thebust and they were screwing him. Next it's the court's fault when the athlete gets jail time. And then lastly its the commish's fault when thatathlete is then not allowed to just jump back into his multi million dollar job.

Daaaaaaaaaamn boy.

No more BMW Lew? Now Mitsubishi Lew?

Say it ain't so Kerlew!

People look at Vick alot differently now because yes he did dog fighting (which i cant stand) and TWO dogs were put down. Stallworth KILLS a man DUI and gets30 days in jail. At this point in time its looking like Vick is getting to harsh of a punishment compared to other issues

EXACTLY!!!

People really think that Vick is ENTITLED or has the RIGHT to play in the NFL. You can't just finish a bid and assume your job is going to welcome you back with open arms. Things just don't work that way.

Good insight Malta...

I don't think folks are saying he's entitled, I think cats are upset that Goodell is taking away an OPPORTUNITY for Vick to make a living. Like I said earlier there ain't no gaurantees anyone is even going to give him a job, but why strip the man of his potential livelihood after he'spaid his debt to society?

the hardest part about life after prison is that once you get out its hard for anybody to even give you a chance to make an honest living. If a judge tookaway a persons right to even make a honest living after prison we'd all be screaming that the punishment doesn't fit the crime

well said Malta
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JinKazama

EXACTLY!!!

Good insight Malta...
I don't think folks are saying he's entitled, I think cats are upset that Goodell is taking away an OPPORTUNITY for Vick to make a living. Like I said earlier there ain't no gaurantees anyone is even going to give him a job, but why strip the man of his potential livelihood after he's paid his debt to society?

the hardest part about life after prison is that once you get out its hard for anybody to even give you a chance to make an honest living. If a judge took away a persons right to even make a honest living after prison we'd all be screaming that the punishment doesn't fit the crime
Vick took that OPPORTUNITY away from himself. The NFL or Goodell don't owe @$*@ to Mike Vick. That's the bottom line. You can preachthe morality of the situation, but like Malta said...you can't expect everything to be handed to you on a silver platter after serving a bid. If there isthat much injustice towards what Goodell is doing, the PA would have been up his %%% by now.

I agree that he has paid his debt to society, but he's going to have to earn the trust of Goodell and also serve whatever suspension he has coming towardshim. I don't see how anyone can blame Goodell for Vick's looming NFL punishment.

My Original comment:
Just curious, but why do so many people have such an undying love for Vick? What has he done that has so endeared him with people like he seems to be? I just don't see what is so special about this guy that so many people come rushing to his rescue, can someone fill me in?
The first response:
are you new to the game of football?? I mean... are u serious

OK, I am far from new to the game of football and feel like I asked a pretty simple question which you failed to answer. While Michael Vick is atremendous athlete he isn't really that great, or should I say accomplished, of a football player.
I will ask again, what has he done to earn such adoration from people....... even after being busted for what would seem to be, by most normal and welladjusted people, a disgusting crime? I am not insinuating he should be doing any additional time, just curious why he is so loved....for doing what exactly?

As far as the "let the man earn a living" comments I just want to point out that Goodell has not stopped Vick from earning a living. He could just as"easily" go out into the real world and apply for a job like anyone else, matter of fact he was working construction making$10 an hour, so he was earning a living. Although if he did put himself out there, I doubt that too many companies out there would be jumping over themselvesto hire him either.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

That's the thing though, these guys are actually going to serve or in Vick's case have served jail time, where PacMan/Chris Henry didn't. They will have already been punished for their actions unlike Pacman and Henry, so why does this power hungry idiot feels that they have to prove something to him and do basically double jeopardy even though it's not a court of law?
PacMan and Henry never served time because they were never convicted... How is that Goodell's problem? I don't see how that's relevant...

He's an EMPLOYER. If I served jail time for shredding dogs or shooting a hole in my own leg with an unregistered gun in the middle of a club, I wouldn't have a job when I got out. Period. Why should this be any different? My employer wouldn't sit around and wait for me to get out of prison, and then throw my job right back in my lap upon my release...

You get in trouble, there are repercussions and consequences, both with the government and in your personal/work life... That's life. Get used to it.
eyes.gif
but he is not the employer - the teams are the employer. if i went to jail and came out, i'd probably get fired ... but my employer could notstop me from trying to go get another job elsewhere. if a team is willing to take the chance on Vick, he should be allowed to play. he served his time already.

man, people are dying of AIDS, hunger and starvation, and people are getting their pants in a bunch over some dogs. i own dogs, but this is just OD!!!

Originally Posted by DonJuan23

People look at Vick alot differently now because yes he did dog fighting (which i cant stand) and TWO dogs were put down. Stallworth KILLS a man DUI and gets 30 days in jail. At this point in time its looking like Vick is getting to harsh of a punishment compared to other issues

I'm saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaying!!! Its ridiculous how screwed up America's moral compass is ...

I wont even bring up Jared Allen.

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

That's the thing though, these guys are actually going to serve or in Vick's case have served jail time, where PacMan/Chris Henry didn't. They will have already been punished for their actions unlike Pacman and Henry, so why does this power hungry idiot feels that they have to prove something to him and do basically double jeopardy even though it's not a court of law?
PacMan and Henry never served time because they were never convicted... How is that Goodell's problem? I don't see how that's relevant...

He's an EMPLOYER. If I served jail time for shredding dogs or shooting a hole in my own leg with an unregistered gun in the middle of a club, I wouldn't have a job when I got out. Period. Why should this be any different? My employer wouldn't sit around and wait for me to get out of prison, and then throw my job right back in my lap upon my release...

You get in trouble, there are repercussions and consequences, both with the government and in your personal/work life... That's life. Get used to it.
eyes.gif
but he is not the employer - the teams are the employer. if i went to jail and came out, i'd probably get fired ... but my employer could not stop me from trying to go get another job elsewhere. if a team is willing to take the chance on Vick, he should be allowed to play. he served his time already.

man, people are dying of AIDS, hunger and starvation, and people are getting their pants in a bunch over some dogs. i own dogs, but this is just OD!!!

In this case Goodell IS the employer.....You are totally making it seem like teams are seperate from the NFL and they can do what they like.

Welcome back Kerlew, my dude!!!! Now lets not every screw up again.

I'm sure you read about your boy Nolan exiting Puke University.

Originally Posted by Otis Dont Play That

I defiantly saw this coming. Goodell is the worst commissioner in sports.
Now it's my turn. He's the worst commissioner based on what fact, Otis?

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

EXACTLY!!!

But remember this is NT. When your favorite athlete gets busted doing something dumb and criminal, to start off it's the cops fault for the bust and they were screwing him. Next it's the court's fault when the athlete gets jail time. And then lastly its the commish's fault when that athlete is then not allowed to just jump back into his multi million dollar job.

Stupid NikeTalkers thinking the commissioner isn't justified.

Originally Posted by JinKazama

EXACTLY!!!

Good insight Malta...
I don't think folks are saying he's entitled, I think cats are upset that Goodell is taking away an OPPORTUNITY for Vick to make a living. Like I said earlier there ain't no gaurantees anyone is even going to give him a job, but why strip the man of his potential livelihood after he's paid his debt to society?

the hardest part about life after prison is that once you get out its hard for anybody to even give you a chance to make an honest living. If a judge took away a persons right to even make a honest living after prison we'd all be screaming that the punishment doesn't fit the crime
There are other opportunities to make a living other than football. Some said it. He can make $10/hr working for someone.

JR5

Originally Posted by dreClark

Daaaaaaaaaamn boy.

No more BMW Lew? Now Mitsubishi Lew?

Say it ain't so Kerlew!

Oh nah I'm still BMW Lew. The difference between me and Vick is my bank account and assets didn't go bye bye. I could basically take it easy and siton my +%% for the next year or so and live comfortably but you don't take over the world by surfing NT all day
tongue.gif

Welcome back Kerlew, my dude!!!! Now lets not every screw up again.
Appreciate the love. I'm definitely re-focused and watching the way I walk and talk going forward because prison isn't a pretty thing.

Goodell isn't a judge though, he's the "CEO" of the National Football League. He's the "Boss", so it's hisdiscretion as to whether someone is detrimental to the "Company" and it's image.

And nobody said Goodell wasn't going to give Vick another chance. He just has to wait a while longer and prove himself. And trust me, just because you goto prison and do your time doesn't mean you're a changed man. 75% of the dudes I was locked up with were on their 3rd or 4th go around or there forviolating parole/probation. It's what you do after the bid, in the REAL WORLD, not IN PRISON, where change is shown.

What Vick is doing now like working with the Humane Society and the Boys and Girls Club is a great start but it's about consistency and longevity at thispoint. I think Goodell wants Vick to develop a deep appreciation for the opportunities he was afforded in the past, will be afforded in the future, and tojust appreciate life in general. I know that's a stretch for alot of you guys to comprehend and actually see the good in Goodell but again, I think Vicksees it and that's all that really matters.

Just dogs huh LOL? How convinient we typically leave out the weed, the gambling ring, the outright lying to Commish's face, things like that. Some of yougotta dig a little deeper and realize that your favorite headline aint always the whole story.

Personally I would have no problem with Vick being reinstated today. As an NFL fan I want to see what he can do still. But the way the commish acts is based onmore things than the average NTer realizes.

And as always, once again you dont hear barely a peep from the NFLPA in these situations. That should also tell you something.

Originally Posted by TheKingOfVa

This is some BS, Vick should be playing
Another NikeTalk who doesn't get it.

Appreciate the love. I'm definitely re-focused and watching the way I walk and talk going forward because prison isn't a pretty thing.
I still don't like the Ricardo Malta name, "dukehead" still sounds better.

JR5

Back
Top Bottom