Washington Wizards 2017-2018 Season Thread

Will the Wizards finally win 50 games this year?

• Yes

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You'd have to imagine the Wizards are trying to make a run at Cousins with their draft and recent trade. If that doesn't work though they might end up with the worst center tandem in the league. They'll have to add someone: Montrezl Harrell, Dewayne Dedmon, Nerlens Noel, Dwight Howard...though getting him would essentially take the locker room back to square one. :lol:
Unless they're actually willing to stretch Mahinmi's horrific contract, the only one of those players they could realistically afford would be Dwight Howard - a player Charlotte had to take on a Mahinmi-like contract just to dump.

I think we are being a bit harsh on my man, is all ...

Look, EVERY GM not in Cleveland or Miami has "failed" for the past 8 years ... Lebron is transcendent and makes everyone else meaningless ...

The Porter deal sucks ... The Gortat deal sucked ... I can go on and on and on about his shortcomings ... But the fact is Gilbert Arenas screwed this organization up more than anyone ... The "culture" conversation was thrust upon us by that nitwit and his hammer ... Then we started to try to find the "right" guys and make stupid deal after stupid deal to get out from under Gil's cloud ...

The fact that we got someone to take Gortat, a non-fit because John Wall is a little bit of a baby, and received bench help, is huge ...

I think we go nuclear here and get Boogie at all costs or throw a political appointment at Lebron ...
If you're actually setting the highest possible standard for success (championship or bust), the "or bust" part of the equation requires teeth. Only three general managers have held their jobs for longer than Ernie Grunfeld: Pat Riley, R.C. Buford, and Danny Ainge. They've all won championships. In fifteen years, Ernie's teams have never even won fifty games or made it beyond the second round.

What is your standard of acceptable job performance? The Arenas incident happened nine years ago, and that team was already going nowhere. (Arenas' knee injury was far more damaging to the team's on court success - and he suffered that in 2007.) 21 teams in the league have changed general managers since the start of 2009 - some several times.

The Wizards lucked into the #1 overall pick in 2010. Here's how eight years of rebuilding have gone in comparison to our conference rivals:

When John Wall was drafted in 2010, the Wizards came off a 26-win season. They were the second-worst team in the Eastern Conference, ahead of only the Nets.

Let's take a look back at what's happened to the 2017-2018 Eastern Conference Playoff teams since then:

The Cavaliers had LeBron James, the first time around. They lost him, got him back, and won a championship.
The Miami won two championships with their "Big 3," lost the big 3, rebuilt around Goran Dragic, Justice Winslow, Hassan Whiteside, et al. and have again finished ahead of the Wizards.
The Bucks had a team built around Andrew Bogut and Brandon Jennings that made the playoffs. They, too, rebuilt and have surpassed the Wizards.
The Indiana Pacers rebuilt from the Jermaine O'Neal/Ron Artest era, built around Paul George, traded Paul George, and rebuilt once again.
The Toronto Raptors rebuilt from the Chris Bosh/Andrea Bargnani era.
The Celtics moved on from their Big 3 and now have a core of Kyrie Irving, Jalen Brown, Jayson Tatum, Al Horford, and Gordon Hayward.
The Sixers were only one win better than the Wizards in 2009-2010, but then built a playoff team around Andre Iguodala, Thaddeus Young, Elton Brand, and Evan Turner, then suffered through one of the ugliest stretches of tanking in professional sports, yet managed to convert on enough of their lottery picks to again surpass the Wizards.

These teams were built and rebuilt before the Wizards ever "built." And that's just the Eastern Conference.

Let's not use the highest possible standard (championship or bust) to justify the lowest possible standards.

For fun, here's a list of teams that have won 50 games in the regular season since Ernie Grunfeld took over as General Manager:

2003-2004:
Indiana Pacers - 61 wins
Detroit Pistons - 54 wins
Minnesota Timberwolves - 58 wins
San Antonio Spurs - 57 wins
Dallas Mavericks - 52 wins
Memphis Grizzlies - 50 wins
L.A. Lakers - 56 wins
Sacramento Kings - 55 wins

2004-2005:
Detroit Pistons - 54 wins
Miami Heat - 59 wins
Seattle Supersonics - 52 wins
Phoenix Suns - 62 wins
Sacramento Kings - 50 wins
San Antonio Spurs - 59 wins
Dallas Mavericks - 58 wins
Houston Rockets - 51 wins

2005-2006
Detroit Pistons - 64 wins
Cleveland Cavaliers - 50 wins
Miami Heat - 52 wins
Phoenix Suns - 54 wins
San Antonio Spurs - 63 wins
Dallas Mavericks - 60 wins

2006-2007
Detroit Pistons - 53 wins
Utah Jazz - 51 wins
Phoenix Suns - 61 wins
Dallas Mavericks - 67 wins
San Antonio Spurs - 58 wins
Houston Rockets - 52 wins

2007-2008
Boston Celtics - 66 wins
Detroit Pistons - 59 wins
Orlando Magic - 52 wins
Utah Jazz - 54 wins
Denver Nuggets - 50 wins
Los Angeles Lakers - 57 wins
Phoenix Suns - 55 wins
New Orleans Hornets - 56 wins
San Antonio Spurs - 56 wins
Houston Rockets - 55 wins
Dallas Mavericks - 51 wins

2008-2009
Boston Celtics - 62 wins
Cleveland Cavaliers - 66 wins
Orlando Magic - 59 wins
Denver Nuggets - 54 wins
Los Angeles Lakers - 65 wins
San Antonio Spurs - 54 wins
Houston Rockets - 53 wins
Dallas Mavericks - 50 wins

2009-2010
Cleveland Cavaliers - 61 wins
Orlando Magic - 59 wins
Atlanta Hawks - 53 wins
Boston Celtics - 50 wins
Los Angeles Lakers - 57 wins
Dallas Mavericks - 55 wins
Phoenix Suns - 54 wins
Denver Nuggets - 53 wins
Utah Jazz - 53 wins
Portland Trail Blazers - 50 wins
San Antonio Spurs - 50 wins

2010-2011
Boston Celtics - 56 wins
Chicago Bulls - 62 wins
Miami Heat - 58 wins
Orlando Magic - 52 wins
Oklahoma City Thunder - 55 wins
Denver Nuggets - 50 wins
L.A. Lakers - 57 wins
San Antonio Spurs - 61 wins
Dallas Mavericks - 57 wins

2011-2012 (66 game schedule due to lockout)
San Antonio Spurs - 50 wins anyway

2012-2013
New York Knicks - 54 wins
Miami Heat - 66 wins
Oklahoma City Thunder - 60 wins
Denver Nuggets - 57 wins
L.A. Clippers - 56 wins
San Antonio Spurs - 58 wins
Memphis Grizzlies - 56 wins

2013-2014
Indiana Pacers - 56 wins
Miami Heat - 54 wins
Oklahoma City Thunder - 59 wins
Portland Trail Blazers - 54 wins
L.A. Clippers - 57 wins
Golden State Warriors - 51 wins
San Antonio Spurs - 62 wins
Houston Rockets - 54 wins
Memphis Grizzlies - 50 wins

2014-2015
Cleveland Cavaliers - 53 wins
Chicago Bulls - 50 wins
Atlanta Hawks - 60 wins
Portland Trail Blazers - 50 wins
Golden State Warriors - 67 wins
L.A. Clippers - 56 wins
Houston Rockets - 56 wins
Memphis Grizzlies - 55 wins
San Antonio Spurs - 55 wins
Dallas Mavericks - 50 wins

2015-2016
Toronto Raptors - 56 wins
Cleveland Cavaliers - 57 wins
Oklahoma City Thunder - 55 wins
Golden State Warriors - 73 wins
L.A. Clippers - 53 wins
San Antonio Spurs - 67 wins

2016-2017
Boston Celtics - 53 wins
Toronto Raptors -51 wins
Cleveland Cavaliers - 51 wins
Utah Jazz - 51 wins
Golden State Warriors - 67 wins
L.A. Clippers - 51 wins
San Antonio Spurs - 61 wins
Houston Rockets - 55 wins

2017-2018
Toronto Raptors - 59 wins
Boston Celtics - 55 wins
Philadelphia 76ers - 52 wins
Golden State Warriors - 58 wins
Houston Rockets - 65 wins

Let's tally that up:

Atlanta Hawks: 2
Boston Celtics: 6
Chicago Bulls: 2
Cleveland Cavaliers: 8
Dallas Mavericks: 9
Denver Nuggets: 5
Detroit Pistons: 5
Golden State Warriors: 5
Houston Rockets: 8
Indiana Pacers: 2
L.A. Clippers: 5
L.A. Lakers: 5
Memphis Grizzlies: 4
Miami Heat: 5
Minnesota Timberwolves: 1
New Orleans Hornets/Pelicans: 1
New York Knicks: 1
Seattle Supersonics/Oklahoma City Thunder: 5
Orlando Magic: 4
Philadelphia 76ers: 1
Phoenix Suns: 5
Portland Trail Blazers: 3
Sacramento Kings: 2
San Antonio Spurs: 14
Toronto Raptors: 3
Utah Jazz: 4

Washington Wizards: 0
Charlotte Bobcats: 0
New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets: 0
Milwaukee Bucks: 0

This is your "gawd?"

I think we are being a bit harsh on my man, is all ...

Look, EVERY GM not in Cleveland or Miami has "failed" for the past 8 years ... Lebron is transcendent and makes everyone else meaningless ...

The Porter deal sucks ... The Gortat deal sucked ... I can go on and on and on about his shortcomings ... But the fact is Gilbert Arenas screwed this organization up more than anyone ... The "culture" conversation was thrust upon us by that nitwit and his hammer ... Then we started to try to find the "right" guys and make stupid deal after stupid deal to get out from under Gil's cloud ...

The fact that we got someone to take Gortat, a non-fit because John Wall is a little bit of a baby, and received bench help, is huge ...

I think we go nuclear here and get Boogie at all costs or throw a political appointment at Lebron ...

Ernie's burner account.

The Gilbert thing happened like 20 years ago now. How long are you going to hide behind that Ernie?

Flip Saunders tried to clean up the place by getting rid of McGee, Young and Blatche but Ted and Ernie saw that as the big 3. They have screwed this organization up more than anyone.

No chance at Boogie, Mike Scott's gone (how?), no Noel...

That must mean...

He's Coming |l

*And Laker fans want praise for surviving "hard times" lol*

No chance at Boogie, Mike Scott's gone (how?), no Noel...

That must mean...

He's Coming |l

*And Laker fans want praise for surviving "hard times" lol*

Wait, Mike Scott is gone? Dang.

Others don't like it, but I'm cool with Dwight. Despite being on a crappy team, he had a good season last year even with Charlotte having like 4 centers :lol:

Boogie ain't happening, and no other worthy free agents are coming over either. Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of dudes don't want to play with Wall after his antics last season.

*Whispers* if they traded him, I wouldn't be mad...

holding onto whatever magic the Caps gave this city... staying optimistic about the Skins (not holding my breath).

Ernie Grunfeld disgusts me.

The fact Nerlens chose to be a backup in OKC over starting here says a lot. Lebron leaves and we still can’t improve smh

I would be utterly SHOCKED if the Wizards surpass 45 wins this year.

Honestly, if there was a GM with actual foresight, I'd kinda embrace a rebuild. There isn't a chance in hell this team is going to be competing for a title, let alone doing anything better than being a 6th seed in the east. I'd put out some feelers to the Lakers to see what they'd offer if John Wall was dangled.

#1, he deserves better.

#2, they have actual YOUNG/TALENTED prospects that could jumpstart the rebuild all while keeping this team in that same 42-45 win range.

I'd be looking ahead if I was a GM. Warriors have the inside track for finals berths/wins for the next couple of seasons. Why not try to build a team with a young core (like Philly and Boston) to be NEXT up?

No point in being a middling franchise in the current landscape of the league.

They really gon start Mahimi at center :smh: :sick: ...this season feeling like a last year before a rebuild

You’re overlooking the vast untapped potential of the Wizards’ Great Value small ball lineup, the Hyattsville Five:

John Wall
Bradley Beal
Kelly Oubre
Otto Porter
Markieff Morris
Compared to the top teams in the NBA that’s more like a Waldorf rec league lineup :lol:

Dwight’s coming, wishful thinking if he gets a reality check and locks in for a season but getting passed around the league with his talent isn’t a coincidence. This is SUCH a Wizards move, pacify the dumb owner and casual fans who don’t follow basketball intently thinking Jeff Green and Dwight Howard are gonna change a problem that has plagued this team for more than a decade (Ernie and a poorly built roster)

Wall, Beal, Porter, Green and Superman with Morris and Rivers off the bench is lowkey the best team the Wizards have had in years ...

First Jeff Green, now Dwight Howard?

now_thats_what_i_call_2010.jpg

Mans literally said Dwight Howard and it happened lol.
Bro can you say we're going to make it past the first round of playoffs? Maybe that'll work too

its been quite sometime since I posted here..die hard and loyal bullets/wizards fan

still mad ernie grunfeld is the GM, but what can we do? :frown:

Jeff green and Dwight Howard are okay pickups, they can be very productive when motivated and when they want to play

hoping Austin rivers plays decent as wall/beal's backup. he did surprising well last season

very very low expectations this year. 43 wins at the most for this team all depending on health

My expectations for this year are pretty high. Wall, Beal, Porter, Kief and Howard is solid line up in the weak East. Besides the antics, Howard is a good replacement for Gortat. He avg 16ppg and 12rpg last year with a point guard no where near Wall’s caliber.

The Wall, Beal, Potter core was one game from going to the ECF. Don’t see right now why they can’t make a run to the conference finals this year

Back
Top Bottom