Weekly Wrestling Thread | Jan 1 - Smackdown - Beat The Clock Challenge - Happy New Year!

Originally Posted by masterhammy23

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

I've never watched TNA. Does Steiner actually wrestle because I remember how horrible he was with the WWE
Yes, he does. He's actually not terrible. He's had a decent feud with Lashley in the past month and was a good member of the MEM. He's basically ready to retire though because he can barely move because of his back problems.
steinerpogo2.gif

TNA creative team could consist of Russo, Bischoff, and Heyman
eek.gif

And for the russo haters out there he has been doing a pretty good job in TNA in the past few months

If WWE takes this lightly, they will regret it. Leave Horswoggle off the air, period.

Wasn't there discussion of TNA trying to have a Women's (Knockouts) exclusive show?

Originally Posted by JCH3

Wasn't there discussion of TNA trying to have a Women's (Knockouts) exclusive show?
I heard that too. I wouldn't do that if I were them. Keep them with the men but give them at least 2 match slots and give the matches timeunlike WWE
sick.gif
. The Divas look good but suck so badly at wrestling. Theknockouts on the other hand, they look good AND can wrestle.
pimp.gif

I'm taking the wait and see appraoch with TNA. Anything with Hogan, Bischoff, and Nash under the same roof doesn't bode well for true talent.

TNA president Dixie Carter conducted an interview with the U.K. Sun previewing the January 4 WWE Raw vs. TNA Impact battle. The following are highlights of Carter's quotes and we'll have detailed analysis later today.

-- Carter dismissed the TV ratings for Monday: "How I define success is just being there. Just the fact that we are there on Monday night is a huge success for us. It makes the exact statement that we want to make. This is a marathon not a sprint. The ratings, quite honestly, are irrelevant. Our success is being there and the quality of the show we put on. That's how I'll assess it as far as that specific night goes."

[table][tr][td]
HoganHulkArt_130GG_95.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]-- Carter on Hulk Hogan's TNA role: "I think Terry (Hogan) has an amazing eye for talent and, with all those people your readers are mentioning, his goal is to make them household names. I can't imagine a better person or brain to have behind the amazing talent that those young guys possess. So that's actually one of the main reasons I brought him in. Again he's not coming in worried about Hulk Hogan and making sure Hulk Hogan is getting over, that's not his job. His job is to get TNA over."

-- Carter on changes to TNA: "He (Hogan) is involved with everything from looking at new talent to how we are shooting the show. The two of us, over the past several months, have literally ripped apart every single aspect of the company. I wanted a fresh set of eyes on it, and what better eyes than the greatest wrestler in the history of this business. We're looking at what we can do better, what we can do differently and what we can try."

-- Carter on competing against WWE: "They may say that they don't consider us competition or don't pay attention to us, but we deal with them playing those tricks with us all the time. Nothing is going to change in our game plan. We're going to continue to do what we do best and that's grow TNA one fan at a time. We're not taking on Vince McMahon. We're trying to give the wrestling fans what they want - and that is to make wrestling better as a whole."

-- Carter on bringing in new talent: "There's nobody we won't go after. But they have to be right to come to the company. They have to be in it for the right reasons. They've got to fit in with what we're doing. If that's The Rock then fantastic. If it's RVD then fantastic. It doesn't matter. If somebody makes sense and has that work ethic and wants to embrace being a wrestler on a wrestling show and trying to do something different then we would love to have them. And, I promise you, we have many more exciting surprises to come."

Hulk Hogan Brings The Fight To IGN

January 1, 2010 - Without question the biggest pro-wrestling news story in 2009 was the signing of Hulk Hogan to TNA wrestling. Whether or not this acquisitionwill ultimately spell out quantifiable success for TNA is unknown at this point, but one thing's for sure; big changes are on the way and excitement is inthe air.

On Monday, January 4th, TNA will dive head first into the deep end with a 3-hour live broadcast of their Spike TV television show Impact - marking the firsttime Hogan actually appears on TNA programming. This Impact will be airing directly against the WWE's flagship show, Monday Night RAW on the USA network.This will be the first time since 1995 and WCW's Monday Nitro that another wrestling organization has decided to directly compete with the WWE.

IGN TV had a chance to talk to Hulk Hogan about this Monday's showdown, the WWE's choice of counter programming (the monumental return of Bret"The Hitman" Hart) and the changes that Hogan wants to bring to TNA.

IGN TV: We're closing in on January 4th now and with TNA Impact airing live against RAW. You've got a big night headed your way. Is TNA ready to golive?

Hulk Hogan: We're going to find out, aren't we? I'm going up against the monster, brother. I'm heading into the gun fight. I'm heading inand I'm bringing the biggest blow dart I can get. It's going to be exciting.

IGN: Of course, we all remember the success you had when you joined in WCW in the mid-90s. What's is TNA like right now compared to what WCW was like backin the day?

Hogan: Brother, that's the brilliant question. And you know what - and I don't mean this in tongue in cheek way - but it's like deja vu. When Iwalked in to WCW they were producing wrestling on a little teeny sound stage at Disney, okay? I'm walking into TNA and their producing wrestling in alittle teeny sound stage at Universal. When I walked in to WCW, the WWF was the monster. They were the monopoly. I'mwalking into TNA and the WWE is the monster. The monopoly. There were no choices back when I did WCW. The fans didn't have a choice. It's the same waynow. It's almost like history is repeating itself and giving me another chance to do this and show the wrestling world what wrestling should be like. Notto make wrestling like it used to be, but to show that John Cena shouldn't be the only guy with life and character. Thinking more about it - it'sexactly the same, man. It's scary. It's happening all over again. The only difference now I guess is that when I left before and went to WCW thefans were mad at me. "Oh, how could you leave the WWF?" The fans were kind of pissed at me. This time the vibe is that the fans are with me.They're for me and they want to see this happen. They know that competition is good and that the best time in wrestling was the Monday Night Wars back inthe day.

IGN: On this past WWE RAW, there was a fan in the crowd holding up a Hogan sign, basically calling out your TNA show on the 4th. Have you been feeling thatthat the fans are really behind you on this move?

Hogan: Yeah, they're for me. It's kind of weird. It's a double edge sword. The fans know what's happened to me over the past couple of years. Ilost my family. I pretty much got devastated financially and the fans know that I've had some hard times - and that's the nature of loyal fans. Theywant to see the people that they love and believe in get back on their feet. That's part of it. And the other part of itis that the fans are sick of this monopoly. They're sick of contrived programming. They're sick of seeing Shawn Michaels and Triple H run around like acouple of degenerates and act goofy and, you know, doing the whole Hornswoggle thing. The fans are tired of that weak programming.

And then, as you saw, on RAW Shawn Michaels came out and broke character and he's as serious as a heart attack and he did a great interview with Vince[McMahon] saying, "I can beat The Undertaker" and "I want a rematch for Wrestlemania." Which is great, you know, they're promoting itway out ahead. And I'll be really glad - wink wink wink - to see Bret Hart come back. You know, that's the first thing that's meant anything withShawn Michaels in a long time since he wrestled Hulk Hogan at SummerSlam. And I'm glad to see it. And you know what? I'm already winning. Everybodysaid "Oh, we [TNA] can't go to Monday nights." And I said "well, let's ask the head of Spike TV." And guess what? He said"yes." So I won there. Now all of a sudden they had an emergency meeting up in Stamford, Connecticut last Thursday. Vince is panicking andscrambling.

I'm so happy to see Bret Hart come in to go against me because he hated the business. He was bitter. He hated Vince. And you've got to move on.Positively. I'm so happy to see Bret - and I've talked to some of Bret's family members and he's excited about coming. He's excited aboutcoming to RAW. I love Bret Hart to death. I'm excited for Bret to come back. And guess what? I already won again. Because Vince McMahon is now showing thathe's worried about Hulk Hogan going head to head. So Vince is going to do all he can to squash me on Monday night and I'm given the opportunity of alifetime. It's like a human being going up against a monster. The WWE is a monster and the fans are behind me and they want to see me give Vince a fightfor his life. And if I get knocked down, I'll just keep getting back up. And the head of Spike TV said. "You know, if wrestling stirs up some intereston Monday I might do this once a month." And then he continued to say that if Hulk Hogan and TNA does good on this Monday he wouldn't be opposed toputting TNA on every Monday. That's a dream for the wrestling fans. Now the fans have a choice. When I can get TNA up and running, the talent -- like JohnCena, Rey Mysterio, The Big Show and The Undertaker -- all these guys will have a choice. It's kind of like having the NFL and the AFL. There's nochoice right now for the talent or the fans.

IGN: Do you think that, once again, competition will bring out the best in all involved?

Hogan: It's gonna be better for everybody. Vince is going to have to get serious. Instead of all the "hee hee ha ha.Let's just give the fans weak programming" thing that he does. Because I'm serious. I'm coming in and I'm going to take a look ateverything from the ring to Vince Russo's underwear. I'm going to turn this place upside down. I'm going to take guys like AJ Styles, who works hisbutt off, so that when AJ Styles goes through an airport a year from now I want people to snap their heads around like it's Ric Flair or Hulk Hogan.There is a lot of talent there but someone needs to breathe life into them and make them larger than life. And to get them to really think about whatthey're doing in the ring. To really dial their characters in. And that's what I'm coming to do.

IGN: You mentioned the ring and Vince Russo already. Can you talk more about some of the changes that you'd like to bring to TNA?

Hogan: Well, brother, I'm going to do everything from change the logo to try to get new, and more, sponsors. I'm going to do everything from changepeople's gimmicks to get rid of people. I'm going to bring some people in with me. I'm going to change everything that needs to be fixed. And youknow what? It's not like I have a magic wand and 20 million and I can change it all overnight. It's going to be a gradual progression. And hopefullyDixie Carter will like what I'm doing so that I can continue on, but I think this is a momentum shifting move for TNA. And I really feel that I know thisbusiness better than anybody else. I worked for Vince's dad, you know. And then Vince's dad died and it was all given to Vince and I was there everystep of the way as he was learning the business and getting plugged in and focused. And I was there all through the 80s with Vince - with us as the greatestpromoter and the greatest monster in the wrestling business. And I do feel, after talking with Vince over the past couple months and before I signed with TNA -and listening to him creatively and his ideas about what he's doing with his product - that we've got one hell of a shot, brother.

IGN: Aside from your knowledge of the business do you feel like, after having a very personal book come out [My Life Outside The Ring], that you have lifelessons to share with the TNA boys?

Hogan: Yeah, brother. I do. You know a lot of times wrestlers get too full of themselves. They can't separate themselves from the characters. They get usedto the excitement, the energy, the lifestyle and the money and with a lot of these guys, when it stops, they self-destruct. You know, we've had tons ofwrestlers die. A lot of these guys in the business are just going through the motions. They don't realize what they have. I'm coming in and I'mgoing to make these guys step up and perform and find out if they really want it. I've been talking to certain wrestlers on the phone lately, and certainfemale wrestlers that were huge stars ten years ago, and the first thing I ask them is "do you still want to work?" Do they want to talk, or do theywant to wrestle or do something else in the business?

IGN: Seeing as how your book had a lot to do with having a positive outlook, are you going to be looking out for the wrestler's mental health as well?

Hogan: Oh yeah, man. Not only am I going down that route but if I can turn TNA into the monster that Vince is there's a ton of stuff that needs to be done- from health care to profit sharing to insurance - just mechanical stuff that should be in place when people put their lives on the line and give up theirtime and dedicate themselves to the business. And on top of that I want these guys to know that - instead of just going through the motions - this is not adress rehearsal. This is really happening. You guys have the opportunity of a lifetime. Learn from me. For the first half of the game I did things really good,but not good enough. This is the second half of the game and now I realize what I had and how important this is. And you guys being young and healthy and inthis business - it should be the time of your life and don't take it for granted. Be happy. Be positive. Try and get a grip on who and where you arebecause it can disappear in an instant. I'm going to go in there and change physicalities, people's attitudes. I'm not going to be Bible thumpingpeople, but I am going to tell them that this is the time of their life and they should be taking advantage of it.

IGN: You just wrapped up a wrestling tour down in Australia with Ric Flair. I have to ask you…what are the chances of getting in the ring and wrestling somematches in TNA?

Hogan: Slim to none, man. I don't have a deal to wrestle there. You can just think of it as if Dixie Carter had hired Vince McMahon to come in and breathesuper energy and super life into the product. Think if Vince was actually hired, what would he do? And that's the best way I can describe it. Vince is thebest example to use. I can't say Ted Turner or Johnny Cash. Vince is the best example. It's almost as if Dixie hired Vince McMahon to come in and makesure this was a momentum-shifting year and a big move and that TNA becomes the company that puts out the best product. That's why I'm going there. AndI told her that if the time comes when she's doing a dissertation or talking to the guys or laying down the law and that crowd starts going "HoganStinks! Hogan Stinks!" then you've got a problem. Because one of the things that the WWE does is they shove programming down people throats instead oflistening to the fans. And you do have to give the fans what they want. So you never know, brother. After three back surgeries and going on the Australian tourI'm very limited. But the fans are so loyal and they know the character's been through hell and back again. And they know my personal life. If I justcrawl my way to the ring with one arm they'd probably still be cheering for me. I'm not planning on wrestling. I'm really not. But in thisbusiness, you know, Vince McMahon and I say that you can never say never.

IGN: You brought up Styles already. Who are some of the other standouts in the TNA locker room that you've seen?

Hogan: Brother, they've got so much talent that it blows my mind. When I see the work rate and how hard these guys workout there. I think they've got the best talent in the business. Honestly. I think AJ Styles hasn't been developed to his full potential. There's aguy there named a Abyss who's just talented beyond belief. I think Matt Morgan's a superstar. There are a bunch of young guys in the X Division andthey've got so much to offer but they haven't been really plugged in with the right vibe. And the Knockout Division? The women. These girls are reallyaggressive and talented. And then you've' got the guys who have been around the block and bringing a lot of wisdom and a lot of energy to thebusiness. You've got Kevin Nash
sick.gif
who's hanging around andnot being used in the right way. You've got Mick Foley who's a one man show in himself. You've got Sting who I pray to god doesn't retire andhangs around to make history with us
pimp.gif
. Brother, this place is loadedwith talent.

IGN: With the 4th right around the corner, what's your ultimate goal for TNA?

Hogan: It's kind of crazy how many amazing things can happen in a short amount of time. And if the wrestling gods are with me and the fans want to seesomething new - I'm really happy that the fans will have to make a choice this Monday because I know Vince is going to come at me with both guns blazing.We already know that he's the red-eyed monster and I think the fans have a lot of respect that I decided to pick this fight. And that the one thing that Isaid coming in. I said that we had to go in head to head on Monday to give the fans a choice. And this is our first shot at it, brother. And if I get knockeddown then I'm getting back up. I'm going to work so hard to put on a good show for you guys that I hope the head of Spike TV doesn't just think"maybe once a month" but instead thinks, "Hogan's got some lighting in a bottle here, so let's give him a shot every Monday night."That's my goal is to get on every Monday night and in a short amount of time, turn this business upside down. Just like I did the last time. And to makesure that TNA puts out the number one product. And I want Vince to live and do well. The better Vince does, the better for me. I would never say anything badabout Vince's company. He's got a great company and he's a genius. But guess what? Hulk Hogan's coming at you, brother, so better hang on forthe ride.

On another note

The following is a new tweet from the official Twitter page of Jeff Hardy:

"Hell yeah Gonna roll with my boy @TheShannonBrand to FLA to put in a good word & check out tha show."

^^^ Much respect to Hulkamania for that one. You would NEVER see Paul or Shawn making those kind of accurate comments about the crap product they put on.

According to his website, Rob Van Dam will not be appearing on iMPACT! tomorrow night. Here's what he had to say:

"This Monday kicks off the new ratings war between WWE and TNA-like I have to tell you! I admit, I am interested in the hype. In fact, I feel like I'm involved with this new era just because of the ginormous rumors involving me and a return. I'm going to say this-even though I know it won't do much good-don't be mad at me that you tuned in to see your favorite wrestler and I wasn't there. I'm going to be watching with you."

TNA has to switch to a squared circle to even REMOTELY compete with WWE, when it comes to pro wrestling, the smallest things matter.

Originally Posted by gambit215

TNA has to switch to a squared circle to even REMOTELY compete with WWE, when it comes to pro wrestling, the smallest things matter.
I don't get the hate for the 6-sided ring, besides without the 6 sided ring how would they do moves like this...

I've made my disdain for the 6-sided ring clear throughout these threads.
It's too gimmicky. Seems small to me, and the action during tag matches come off too unorganized/crowded.

Hogan's saying the right stuff, but I'll take the wait and see approach like KingJay.

All these old heads coming back is giving me bad flashbacks of the ending days of WCW, hopefully I'm wrong.

i used to hate the ring, but ive come around. Besides, theyre used in mexico and japan i believe. And to go along with the rumors, i believe jeff hardys firstmatch in wwe was against rvd during their cross-promo time. I would love to see wwe do that again with roh.

^ I love how Dave Meltzer is always on the radio show.

how will everyone be watching tomorrow night's shows? will you watch TNA for an hour and then turn to raw at 9-11, or will you flip the channels? I think Imight watch the whole 3 hour TNA show while recording RAW if i even get a chance to come home in time tomorrow night.

I'll prolly peep the first hour of Impact..and then when RAW comes on I'll prolly just watch that and switch to TNA during some of the lamer segments.

I'll peep the 1st hour of Impact switch to Raw @ 9, while periodically switching to the Fiesta Bowl.

I can always watch a replay of Impact online during the week.

Back
Top Bottom