What do you like? What do you hate? Hoops Shoes Discussion...

Niketalkers-

The performance based talk on this website is discreditably pitiful. I've been a member here for several months now, and people seem more diligentlyabsorbed in dissecting what they wore to "chill with the homeboys" than the very componentry that makes up our favorite basketballmodels.

I'm interested in seeing what models you guys (lady hoopers feel free to chime in!) just love to play in,what joints were ok on your feet, and what shoes y'all feel were extremely marginal. Why did you like adidas' implementation of a3 in the a3 SuperstarUltra 2's more than the DMX Foam in the Answer 4's? What was wrong with the T-Mac 6's, the Lebron V's, or the And1 Cornering Mid? What form ofcushioning is your favorite? What upper material do you feel best lends itself to a positive playing experience? Did the outsole durometer on the And1Onslaught need some fine-tuning?

I hope we can generate some discussion...

Here is a shoe I have absolutely loved playing in over the past few years-of course, this model wasn'tnecessarily flawless, but I feel the shoe should be mentioned near the top of any performance basketball shoe list

Shoe: adidas a3 Superstar Ultra

Are these fit for a king? I've heard rumors for years (and aKicksguide article all but confirms this) that the Ultra was crafted for the second messiah, Lebron James. Grassrootsczar Sonny Vaccaro told Adi the only way to attract Lebron was to create the best shoe they possibly put together. Ofcourse, we know 'Bron sided with the Swoosh in the end, but the collective efforts of Vaccaro's vision still came to fruition with the a3 SuperstarUltra. If memory serves me, this sneaker is the first shoe that implemented a full-length a3 cushioningunit.

Positives:

-The lacing system is fairly straightforward, allowing for any tightening or loosening. I'm not overly enthused when I see a multitude of straps or any sort of lace cover on a shoe-it just clutters the upper, andcan often lead to too much pressure on top of the foot.

-The SSU features a solid heel counter, which melds itself into a full-length TPU support plate. The combination helps to form what is an awesome fit.

-The rearfoot inner lining is undeniably lavish, yet quite unconventional. Most of today's performance shoes incorporate a multilayered mesh inner, but the Ultra uses a velvet-like material (though I'm sure it's asynthetic of some sort). The material is incredibly soft and will be amazingly comfortable for those who wear lower cutsocks.

-Initially, I was worried about the full-length a3 structures, as I had premonitions that the shoe wouldimpart a very natural fit. However, I was surprised to note that the shoe had a flawless heel-to-toe transition, and animplausibly natural feel underfoot. After doing a bit of research, thanks Kicksology, Kicksguide, and a few otherfriendly sources, I was able to ascertain the reasons for this organic feel. The a3 cartridges had a forward slant tothem, which allows for a more natural movement through the footstrike. A full-length TPU support plate is cleverlyplaced above the cushioning units to ensure that the foot stays within its natural boundaries, and cannot tip over as easily.

-The straightforward outsole pattern is great for moderately dusty courts. I haven't worn my pairs on the asphalt, so I have no idea how they perform in a more natural environment.

Negatives:

-While the velvety inner is buttery smooth, its lack of visible ventilation can lead to some heat-build upover time.

-Even with the internalized heel counter, I noticed a bit of heel slip on really quick cuts or on jabstep/crossover moves.

-The upper flexes very easily, and given the rather high cut of the shoe, it does not offer bulletproof anklesupport. It's provides adequate coverage, but given heel slip issues, you may have a bit more movement than you'd like in these.

-The full-length a3 unit ensures that weight will be a disturbance for those who prefer lighter shoes.
Peace.

Likes and Dislikes in hoops shoes.

Good cushioning is still the most important aspect of a bball shoe.

Personally i can barely stand any sort of non removable lace obstructon.

zippers, shrouds, straps, all fine as long as they are implemented in the proper way.

ie. lebron iv, and1 silky smooth, and1 standing o, flightposite iii (forefoot) all crrrraaaaaaaapp.

for me, if it fits well and your foot doesn't move in the shoe, i feel that that is the most important aspect of a basketball shoe. the other things,traction, cushioning and aesthetics all hinge on that: a shoe should move with you and not get in the way of how you play. if it does for you, then it shouldbe worn casually or not at all.

Gilbert Arenas' shoe line is really good in that respect, and i have always bee a fan of the mid-upper level and1's. the fit is tight and the shoesmove with me. good traction, responsiveness, stability, and overall fit really is amazing. to me, and1's feet lasts they use for fitting and sizing areidentical to mine, because they fit perfectly and I hardly even notice i have shoes when i play.

Back
Top Bottom