What exactly is "Grown Folk" Music?

I was in the car yest and maxwell came on and i was told "you dont know anyhing about this, this is old folk music
grin.gif
" Id like to think i know a fair amount of knowledge when it comes to musicin general (not necessarily hip hop or w/e) but i never got the term old folk music. like when people say this its like sayin you have to be a certain age tounderstand. so if a song has a slower tempo and the dude singing has a soft @%* voice its automatically labled old folk music and therefore better than themusic i listen because its slow? i dont get it. can someone explain please
nerd.gif
?

Music is that for a more mature audience. The feel is different from other popular styles of music. Also referred to as "soul" music.

Originally Posted by Pmighty

85'? wasnt the 80's disco?
i dont get it. what makes 85 the "standard"?
Its not the standard kid, other music besides disco was playing.
Disco just became the main theme therefore killing off soul music (grown folk music)

Older people automatically assume us young folk know nothin about old school music. Maxwell is a reach though, I still got his first album on heavy rotationand i was born in '88

Grown folk music is NOT determined by the age of the artist or when it was released. It's strictly the type of music.

R&B acts like Maxwell, Musiq, Raheem Devaughn, etc. are considered "Grown Folk Music"...whereas The-Dream, Jeremih, Lloyd, etc. aren't.

"you dont know anyhing about this, this is old folk music
grin.gif
"

This grinds my gears for real.
I can't stand that especially if my mom says it and she raised me up off this type of music.
I just state the Artist and the first verse to shut them up.

Musiq and Raheem DeVaughn are on the extreme end of the spectrum...

And the artists has to be at least 25. Life experience is needed to make the music come off as genuine.

Soul Music.
No way to describe it, no specific time period, you just know it when you hear it whether it's from the past or the present.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Grown folk music is NOT determined by the age of the artist or when it was released. It's strictly the type of music.

R&B acts like Maxwell, Musiq, Raheem Devaughn, etc. are considered "Grown Folk Music"...whereas The-Dream, Jeremih, Lloyd, etc. aren't.

This.

1985 and below.
Maxwell is reaching.

You mind explaining how acts like Maxwell and D'Angelo aren't considered "grown folk" music in your ears?

Originally Posted by eye see soles

Musiq and Raheem DeVaughn are on the extreme end of the spectrum...

And the artists has to be at least 25. Life experience is needed to make the music come off as genuine.

Not necessarily...I consider Lauryn Hill to be someone who made grown folk music. She was in her very early 20s when she was doing her thing. Vivian Green cameout when she was in her early 20s. Few others

michael jackson has been labled the king of music(in so many words) and you're tellin me he wouldnt be considered grown folk music. i dont think somethinshould be given such a high and mighty(
pimp.gif
) title cuz of the time period itcame out.
Grown folk music is NOT determined by the age of the artist or when it was released. It's strictly the type of music
its funny cuz somebody might say pretty wings is grown folk music but if cris brown(pre rhianna fiasco) wouldve dropped that same song theres noway that song would get that title. Why because of his age? But its the same tempo and errything else
youre tellin me have to be 25 to experience some of the subjects that make up the that genre
indifferent.gif
?
No way to describe it, no specific time period, you just know it when you hear it whether it's from the past or the present
who to determine what is and isnt acceptable tho?

No way to describe it, no specific time period, you just know it when you hear it whether it's from the past or the present
who to determine what is and isnt acceptable tho?
The listener.
You base it on the type of music that fits discription from the past. If it measures up, then it's acceptable.

Maxwell, Dwelle, Raphael Saadiq, Erykah Badu, India Arie, Sade and others are no doubt "grown folks music"

michael jackson has been labled the king of music(in so many words) and you're tellin me he wouldnt be considered grown folk music. i dont think somethin should be given such a high and mighty(
pimp.gif
) title cuz of the time period it came out.
Grown folk music is NOT determined by the age of the artist or when it was released. It's strictly the type of music
its funny cuz somebody might say pretty wings is grown folk music but if cris brown(pre rhianna fiasco) wouldve dropped that same song theres no way that song would get that title. Why because of his age? But its the same tempo and errything else

What If's go a long way. Fact is...a record like Pretty Wings would be atypical of anything Chris Brown does. That's the point. It wouldrival his reputation which is based of the majority of his work.

Dude, are you talking about old folks music, or grown folks music? There's a difference. I could see maxwell being grown folks music, butI wouldn't call it old folks music. And you can tell "grown folks" music by the maturity of the subject matter. For example "BirthdaySex" is not grown folks music, however "I'll Make Love to You" is.

michael jackson has been labled the king of music(in so many words) and you're tellin me he wouldnt be considered grown folk music. i dont think somethin should be given such a high and mighty(
pimp.gif
) title cuz of the time period it came out.
Michael Jackson was never labeled the King of Music, he was called the "King of Pop." Pop being short for popular music, whichis generally marketed to the younger generation. But Michael Jackson's career had a very long life span, so his older listeners most likely had beenlistening to him since they were teenagers. In any event, MJ is a major star, his appeal spanned across many genres and generations, he was basically in aleague of his own, so using him to prove your point is pretty weak; there will not be another Michael Jackson, just like there will not be another MichaelJordan, or Muhammad Ali.

its funny cuz somebody might say pretty wings is grown folk music but if cris brown(pre rhianna fiasco) wouldve dropped that same song theres no way that song would get that title. Why because of his age? But its the same tempo and errything else

No, it would be because of the rest of the material in his catalogue. If Chris Brown's whole catalog consisted of songs like Pretty Wings,then we have a different story. But if you're album consists pretty much of songs like Run It and Kiss Kiss, people just won't take it that seriouslywhen you put out that one "grown folks" song. And as someone else pointed out, you can't really make grown folks music if you're notgrown...

Originally Posted by J Burner

Dude, are you talking about old folks music, or grown folks music? There's a difference. I could see maxwell being grown folks music, but I wouldn't call it old folks music. And you can tell "grown folks" music by the maturity of the subject matter. For example "Birthday Sex" is not grown folks music, however "I'll Make Love to You" is.

this pretty much sums it up. it all comes down like dude said "the maturity of the subject matter" you can't really put a restriction on the songbecause of when it was released or the person's age.

i've had older people will hear a song and actually listen to the words. so for them i think the music has to be about something and they don't feelour music has that. with that said they automatically think we know good music and when the song is actually about something that's when they'll lookat you and say "what you know bout this?" or " you don't know nothing bout this!" i just hit em with the
indifferent.gif
and keep it moving. i hate when they do that mess just cause i'm not30+ i can't know good music when i hear it? *%*
laugh.gif

No, it would be because of the rest of the material in his catalogue. If Chris Brown's whole catalog consisted of songs like Pretty Wings, then we have a different story.

i was referring to that particualar song not his resume. so if maxwell drops "run it" it would still be considered"grown"because of what his past work consisted of? now im not the brightest but im getting the logic on how cris' catalog labels errything hellever do. Peoples style's do change

No, it would be because of the rest of the material in his catalogue. If Chris Brown's whole catalog consisted of songs like Pretty Wings, then we have a different story.
i was referring to that particualar song not his resume. so if maxwell drops "run it" it would still be considered "grown"because of what his past work consisted of? now im not the brightest but im getting the logic on how cris' catalog labels errything hell ever do. Peoples style's do change
In R&B...how many people ever made the switch from making pop fusion R&B to making more soul driven R&B driven towards a more matureaudience? If Maxwell drops Run It...he'll catch heat from his fan base and that would be considered regressing for him. You keep coming up with these"What If" scenarios but those type of arguments don't work in subject as complex as Music.

i was referring to that particualar song not his resume. so if maxwell drops "run it" it would still be considered "grown"because of what his past work consisted of? now im not the brightest but im getting the logic on how cris' catalog labels errything hell ever do. Peoples style's do change

I don't know if there is simpler way to explain it, lol. You're looking at it in terms of just the song itself, you can't do that. The songitself might be grown folks subject matter, but when a teeny bop artist like Chris Brown attempts it, it just won't be taken as seriously considering hiscurrent resume and style. Now, if Chris Brown got to a point in his career and decided he wanted to make grown folks music, and started putting out moremature material, and not radio bop teeny club pop material, then you again have a different story.

As for the Maxwell "Run It" question, I'm Not You summed that up nicely.

Back
Top Bottom