What exactly is "Grown Folk" Music?

Go to your local gym. Listen to the music there, and you'll have a good idea of what isn't grown up music.

I'll give you and example or something to listen to. Listen Frankie Beverly and Maze, "I Love You" by Lenny Williams, Keith Sweat, Teena Marieand then listen to Jagged Edge, Usher, Donnell Jones Beyonce. You'll notice a big difference in subject matter, song title, maturity of the lyrics etc.That's what grown folks music is to me. Now dont get me wrong there is some younger more relevant today artist out there that make grown folks music suchas Maxwell, Brian Mcknight, Joe, Faith Evans Mariah Carey (on certain songs). They tend to lean to a more slower tempo to ballads rather than Hip-Hop beatswith a rapper on the track. It's a difference from just music and grown folks music. That's why im so upset with the state of music today because thereis no more creativity, no more REAL R&B, REAL HIP HOP. Music should have a genuine feel to it not just some lame catch phrases, a rapper on every R&Btrack to drop or this autotune crap being it on a R&B type song or in Rap. Here's how i view music and genre today.

1. Grown Folks Music ( Old School, Ballads, or some say baby making music LOL)
2. Hip-Hop ( I love this)
3. R&B ( Ok sometimes but it;s mostly crap now-a-days)
4. Rap ( I HATE RAP, No substance, no meaning, just talk about $$, cars and women and your in, or make up a new dance)

An adult artist, with adult subject matter. As with everything it is subjective.

If I wouldn't be ashamed if my boss knew I listened to a particular song it is grown folk music.

I love R&B done right, nothing like it.

Originally Posted by TkTheGirl

Originally Posted by Pmighty

"you dont know anyhing about this, this is old folk music
grin.gif
"

This grinds my gears for real.
I can't stand that especially if my mom says it and she raised me up off this type of music.
I just state the Artist and the first verse to shut them up.
laugh.gif
you on that peter griffin steez my dude

Isaac Hayes
Luther Vandross
Marvin Gaye
Gladys Knight
Aretha Franklin
The Temptations
The Dramatics
The Delfonics
The Chi Lites
O'Jays
Shalamar
Anita Baker
Isley Brothers

All of those artists would fall under the Grown Folks/ Soul music category.

she said she want some marvin gaye, some luther vandross
a little anita, will definitely set this party off riiiiiiight

SMOKEY ROBINSON, FREDDY JAAAACKON, ASHES AND SIMPSOOOOOON

and prolly some stevie, earth wind and fire, and tony toney toni!

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Grown folk music is NOT determined by the age of the artist or when it was released. It's strictly the type of music.

R&B acts like Maxwell, Musiq, Raheem Devaughn, etc. are considered "Grown Folk Music"...whereas The-Dream, Jeremih, Lloyd, etc. aren't.

Hit tha nail on tha head w/ his answer & i 2nd his notion

Old people have to hold on to something. They can't talk about how the internet used to be when they were kids. Music is the only thing they can hold onto.

I'm bout to come thru and nuke this thread with a knowledge bomb. grown folk music has a subject matter that mostly grown folks can relate to. lets look atSoulja Boy as an example. in a way he makes grown folk music cuz he raps about Lamborghini's and such. how often do u see kids drivin a Lambo? never. onlygrown folks push Lambos.

/thread

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

Isaac Hayes
Luther Vandross
Marvin Gaye
Gladys Knight
Aretha Franklin
The Temptations
The Dramatics
The Delfonics
The Chi Lites
O'Jays
Shalamar
Anita Baker
Isley Brothers

All of those artists would fall under the Grown Folks/ Soul music category.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by I Drink Your Milkshake

Where a song about "sex" doesn't have the word "sex" ANYWHERE in the lyrics

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

roll.gif
That's so true.
Grown Folk music is heard at family cookouts when the sun goes down.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Jiggaman414

I'm bout to come thru and nuke this thread with a knowledge bomb. grown folk music has a subject matter that mostly grown folks can relate to. lets look at Soulja Boy as an example. in a way he makes grown folk music cuz he raps about Lamborghini's and such. how often do u see kids drivin a Lambo? never. only grown folks push Lambos.

/thread
alien.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom