What have you learned so far in life?

Most people are living a lie due to worrying about how they are perceived by others.

Most people in relationships are really faking it and are truly unhappy behind closed doors, or they are cheating on each other.

Everything we do in life is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of the universe.

Most people are living a lie due to worrying about how they are perceived by others.

Most people in relationships are really faking it and are truly unhappy behind closed doors, or they are cheating on each other.

Everything we do in life is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of the universe.

Originally Posted by FedExciter

The most important thing that Ive learned, and i try to stress this to my younger brothers as much as i can ...

All the things that older people tell you when you're young about the ''real world'' and life in general are true

just wish i would of been listening more back then
laugh.gif
 probably my biggest regret in life.

the thing is, i dont know if young people can really "learn" this at that age.  most if not ALL younger people really think they know everything and they have life figured out already.  Anything that they hear from someone older that is different from their own beliefs they immediately disregard and believe it to be false.  I know I was this way.  Then one day around the age of maybe 25-26 or so it just hits you... damB... I dont know anything.  I probably shoulda listened to some of the advice and wisdom that older dudes were trying to drop on me. 

the cliches are true.  you learn from your mistakes, there is no substitute for experiencing things on your own, etc.. etc...

My baby sister is 23 and damn we battle all the time.  I want her to learn from MY mistakes but that lil B is too stubborn and hard headed.  She thinks she has the world figured out at 23 (while living off my parents dime, in their home, fake-applying to grad schools so she can continue to milk my parents and not start a damn career... sorry for the vent).  I dont believe in hitting women, but somedays its really hard for me to keep my cool and not just slap the snot outta her.

Originally Posted by FedExciter

The most important thing that Ive learned, and i try to stress this to my younger brothers as much as i can ...

All the things that older people tell you when you're young about the ''real world'' and life in general are true

just wish i would of been listening more back then
laugh.gif
 probably my biggest regret in life.

the thing is, i dont know if young people can really "learn" this at that age.  most if not ALL younger people really think they know everything and they have life figured out already.  Anything that they hear from someone older that is different from their own beliefs they immediately disregard and believe it to be false.  I know I was this way.  Then one day around the age of maybe 25-26 or so it just hits you... damB... I dont know anything.  I probably shoulda listened to some of the advice and wisdom that older dudes were trying to drop on me. 

the cliches are true.  you learn from your mistakes, there is no substitute for experiencing things on your own, etc.. etc...

My baby sister is 23 and damn we battle all the time.  I want her to learn from MY mistakes but that lil B is too stubborn and hard headed.  She thinks she has the world figured out at 23 (while living off my parents dime, in their home, fake-applying to grad schools so she can continue to milk my parents and not start a damn career... sorry for the vent).  I dont believe in hitting women, but somedays its really hard for me to keep my cool and not just slap the snot outta her.

here is what i've learned in 25 years and I hope some of you really take this to heart...

Their is no tried and true method to be happy or successful or even semi-balanced in life.

I've come to terms with life being a roundabout sort of thing...we're constantly changing, or seeking change and when we do change sometimes we feel we were better before the change and sometimes the contrary. Life is very cyclical as far as i'm concerned. Their will be times of struggle with not just the external environment but the internal as well but even then "this too shall pass". To say someone has to enjoy 100% of their life is fallacy. Their needs to be times of struggle and hardship for those times of enjoyment to happen. Whatever stage of life your in I would say don't worry too much about the future and don't get caught up with the past. Your exactly where you need to be at the moment and if your not then you'll find a way to change that. This moment your living in is the truth/essence/source of it all. Life is just one big moment and as much pressure their is for you to do something big just LIVE. You need to push your boundaries sometimes but don't put that pressure on yourself to live through someone else's expectations or dreams...instead live your own with other's advice/experience's as just ideas on how to cultivate your own life for the better.

here is what i've learned in 25 years and I hope some of you really take this to heart...

Their is no tried and true method to be happy or successful or even semi-balanced in life.

I've come to terms with life being a roundabout sort of thing...we're constantly changing, or seeking change and when we do change sometimes we feel we were better before the change and sometimes the contrary. Life is very cyclical as far as i'm concerned. Their will be times of struggle with not just the external environment but the internal as well but even then "this too shall pass". To say someone has to enjoy 100% of their life is fallacy. Their needs to be times of struggle and hardship for those times of enjoyment to happen. Whatever stage of life your in I would say don't worry too much about the future and don't get caught up with the past. Your exactly where you need to be at the moment and if your not then you'll find a way to change that. This moment your living in is the truth/essence/source of it all. Life is just one big moment and as much pressure their is for you to do something big just LIVE. You need to push your boundaries sometimes but don't put that pressure on yourself to live through someone else's expectations or dreams...instead live your own with other's advice/experience's as just ideas on how to cultivate your own life for the better.

Being clever can only do so much, hard work is essential for any venture to succeed, at least any worth while venture. This is true for your education, sports, business, politics, warfare, the arts and all manner of human enterprise. Being able to speak and write and think at a high level is great but there are others who are as smart r smarter than you and in almost every situation the those who do well work and they not only work but they follow up with more work and it is over time, through steady and consistent and diligent work that you can over come someone who puts in blasts of Herculean effort for a short time.

I learned this in school where I struggled at math because I was used to not only passing but getting A's and B's from attending lectures and/or reading the assigned readings and then writing beautifully on my exams. In math, I had to practice a few time per week and it was that pattern of learning that was frustrating for me and I had to get some bad grades until I accepted the reality that I had to put in steady and diligent work just to pass. This is true for more advanced students as well. One of my very best Economics professors was also the department chairwoman and she said that she surpassed many of her colleagues because she is willing and able to get up and get into her office and do 40 hours of research per week, 50 weeks per year, i naddition to her teaching, which usually entails three or four classes. She is very smart, like almost all university professors but she is correct that there are many academics who do not have the disposition to be so business like, so bourgeois in their unwillingness to take long summer vacations, teach more than one class and to be at work early. 

I also learned this by playing basketball, you cannot get conditioned in a day or a week, no matter how many suicides you run. You also will lose your jump shot without consistent work and your overall decision making will become dull without frequent games and scrimmages. To be good at basketball, I had to make it a part of my lifestyle.

Finally, I have seen this pattern of diligent and consist work at its most stark now that I work in finance. As we saw in 2007 and 2008, mathematical models can not work out very well. They tended to have too little data (seriously some models would have investment patterns or real estate prices that covered about four or five years), they caused management to be over confident, they also caused management to be arrogant and to be blindsided by the fact that rapid home price increases were not the norm and based on an assumption of a 10% to 25% annual increase in home values, for an infinite amount of years, and the conclusions derived therefrom where the foundation upon which they staked hundreds of billions of dollars and trillions more than they did not have. Also, anyone who thinks that you can make a killing by investing based on broad demographic trends is delusional ( e.g when someone says that you should invest long term in health care because there is an aging population or that you should gold now in 2011, after several years of financial sector turmoil and mounting government debts).

The way I make money for my firm is by going to municipalities in order to see if their bond rating corresponds with the reality on the ground. If a county or town is floating a bond and it is not AAA, the interest rate is higher because there is presumption that default could occur. If I can look at the local economy, its social out look, the voters' views on debt and default and find that the bond ratings agencies were slightly off, we can make money off of that little bit of asymmetry of information. That extra bit of information about a town in the central Valley of California is what gives us an edge over someone on Wall Street, who is 3,000 miles from California, thinks that every West of the Hudson is the Wild West who could not name a single county in the San Joaquin Valley. I did not out think them I put my boot, or rather my wingtips or boat shoes on the ground, where a putative investment may or may not take place.

I am sorry if I sounded too preachy or too didactic even but I really think that people, especially people who are clever, want to avoid the tragic reality that you cannot reason your way to excellence, the path to victory is made shorter if you have mastery of languages and mathematics but you cannot finish that journey without steady, diligent and unrelenting labor of what sort or another. I hope that some of you who, are still in college or who are still in k-12 will, get some utility from what I have stated.

Being clever can only do so much, hard work is essential for any venture to succeed, at least any worth while venture. This is true for your education, sports, business, politics, warfare, the arts and all manner of human enterprise. Being able to speak and write and think at a high level is great but there are others who are as smart r smarter than you and in almost every situation the those who do well work and they not only work but they follow up with more work and it is over time, through steady and consistent and diligent work that you can over come someone who puts in blasts of Herculean effort for a short time.

I learned this in school where I struggled at math because I was used to not only passing but getting A's and B's from attending lectures and/or reading the assigned readings and then writing beautifully on my exams. In math, I had to practice a few time per week and it was that pattern of learning that was frustrating for me and I had to get some bad grades until I accepted the reality that I had to put in steady and diligent work just to pass. This is true for more advanced students as well. One of my very best Economics professors was also the department chairwoman and she said that she surpassed many of her colleagues because she is willing and able to get up and get into her office and do 40 hours of research per week, 50 weeks per year, i naddition to her teaching, which usually entails three or four classes. She is very smart, like almost all university professors but she is correct that there are many academics who do not have the disposition to be so business like, so bourgeois in their unwillingness to take long summer vacations, teach more than one class and to be at work early. 

I also learned this by playing basketball, you cannot get conditioned in a day or a week, no matter how many suicides you run. You also will lose your jump shot without consistent work and your overall decision making will become dull without frequent games and scrimmages. To be good at basketball, I had to make it a part of my lifestyle.

Finally, I have seen this pattern of diligent and consist work at its most stark now that I work in finance. As we saw in 2007 and 2008, mathematical models can not work out very well. They tended to have too little data (seriously some models would have investment patterns or real estate prices that covered about four or five years), they caused management to be over confident, they also caused management to be arrogant and to be blindsided by the fact that rapid home price increases were not the norm and based on an assumption of a 10% to 25% annual increase in home values, for an infinite amount of years, and the conclusions derived therefrom where the foundation upon which they staked hundreds of billions of dollars and trillions more than they did not have. Also, anyone who thinks that you can make a killing by investing based on broad demographic trends is delusional ( e.g when someone says that you should invest long term in health care because there is an aging population or that you should gold now in 2011, after several years of financial sector turmoil and mounting government debts).

The way I make money for my firm is by going to municipalities in order to see if their bond rating corresponds with the reality on the ground. If a county or town is floating a bond and it is not AAA, the interest rate is higher because there is presumption that default could occur. If I can look at the local economy, its social out look, the voters' views on debt and default and find that the bond ratings agencies were slightly off, we can make money off of that little bit of asymmetry of information. That extra bit of information about a town in the central Valley of California is what gives us an edge over someone on Wall Street, who is 3,000 miles from California, thinks that every West of the Hudson is the Wild West who could not name a single county in the San Joaquin Valley. I did not out think them I put my boot, or rather my wingtips or boat shoes on the ground, where a putative investment may or may not take place.

I am sorry if I sounded too preachy or too didactic even but I really think that people, especially people who are clever, want to avoid the tragic reality that you cannot reason your way to excellence, the path to victory is made shorter if you have mastery of languages and mathematics but you cannot finish that journey without steady, diligent and unrelenting labor of what sort or another. I hope that some of you who, are still in college or who are still in k-12 will, get some utility from what I have stated.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

how long it took you to type that
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

how long it took you to type that
tired.gif

girls are not crap... never wife any of them unless they are about 30 and actually want to settle down

girls are not crap... never wife any of them unless they are about 30 and actually want to settle down

Back
Top Bottom