What sneaker made you become a Sneakerhead?

272
16
Joined Jun 14, 2008
BubbaEla1 wrote: [hr][/hr]
sneakerphile42 wrote: [hr][/hr] ^ it is what it is man. If you love sneakers and actually have a reason as to why you love them then you are classified. Just because you buy alot of shoes doesn't make you a head. I don't believe the individuality is taken out of the game. It may be watered down but, not taken out. No one is really more of a sneakerhead than anyone else. That's what makes us who we are. The fact that we don't have to compete is what makes it all worth while.
being a sneakerhead is like being a "PEZ head" or a "beanie baby head". how about just liking shoes. What happend to that? i disagree. I love shoes but i would never classify myself or let anyone else say im some mook "sneakerhead". It makes it childish and aids competition and all thats bad in this industry. I agree no one is more of a sneaker head than anyone else. I have a lot of shoes. I am no better than the guy with 1 pair. And if you think there isnt competition going on here and at actual sneaker summit/sneaker stroke/sneaker shows you need to realize thats what its become. The shoe has unfortunately made the person now. I still make my shoe. I hope the rest of you do. I dont need a shoe to make me. I wear the NBs i have on my blog banner and you have some limited quick-ultra-strike-1 of 1 pair and its all the same to me. Things are over valued. The term "sneakerhead" aids the stagnant , dull market. It enables the brands to put out absolute crap with cheap materials because "sneakerheads" will buy anything they are told to buy. "sneakerheads make themselves be something that they dont need to be. Why announce yourself and label yourself. Just like shos, wear em, save em, sell em, burn em.
Look whats for sael on ebay, look what everyone wants in their sig, look at what people wear at those sneaker stroke shows. Look at what people sell at those shows. Its like they stopped cloning animals and cloned people who like shoes. Same outfits, brands, and shoes.. I know im generalizing but really am I???
What does make u a head? because you like shoes? See right there you are already having a superior mindset over someon else who bys the saems tuff you do and like the saem stuff you do. So wht arent they a "head" vs. you who is? Not attacking. Just wondering. I like dialogue and communication. Nothing wrong with that. Its never personal. Its just shoes. We have made them larger than life. And im glad because im getting paid for the end result of the sneakerhead.



I feel where you are coming from with this. There are alot of carbon copys out there and the game is really not what it used to be or what it should be. I deemmyself a sneakerhead just because of the love I have for certain aspects of this game. I look at it this way, if you buy sneakers just to look cool, don'tknow any history behind it, has no sentimental value to you, just to make a profit, or any combination of the aforementioned then you are not a head. I look ata sneakerhead as someone who is willing to camp out just to get a pair that they want and then WEAR THEM. As I'm sure you know, sneakerheads have beenaround forever they just didn't call themselves that. I go to the H-town sneaker summit twice a year and I see guys showing off their kicks and everyoneshowing their love for a respective brand or sneaker. Of course everyone will not think that way but, most people that I meet there do. I understand where youare coming from with that ebay comment. The hypebeasts of the world have shot our hobby mainstream and the companies notice. A sneaker is a sneaker to me butif it's a "quickstrike" that I have been waiting for, i.e. space jam 11, then I'm going to hop on them. Not because it's a"quickstrike' but, because that shoe has sentimental value to me. I hate the fact that someone will stand in line forever and a day just to pay retailprice for a shoe like the Yeezy's and then try to flip them for 4, 5, 6, 700 dollars. That's crazy! In the end it's up to us to be able to look andrealize what's worth our money and what's not. But as long as you have guys willing to break the bank for mediocre kicks, the game will never change.So in some aspects we have made them larger than life. But you aren't getting paid off of "sneakerheads", you are getting paid because the gameis watered down and everyone is trying to keep up with everyone else. It's not a competition per se, it's more like these carbon copies trying to beaccepted by doing and buying what they see from everyone else.
 
1,005
10
Joined Jul 28, 2009
I don't like the word "Sneakerhead" for some reason, I like "Sneaker Collector" better.

Anyway, the first pair of sneakers that did it for me was the 1999 Nike Dunk Goldenrod NYC Edition. When I first saw it on my friend's feet, I fell inlove.

And from there, it was history.

 
389
10
Joined Nov 8, 2002
air penny ii

honorable mention
99 cement iv's
og air max 95
jordan xi
jordan xiii
huarache trainer
griffey max 1
 

bubbaela1

Banned
1,061
12
Joined Oct 27, 2006
Originally Posted by sneakerphile42

BubbaEla1 wrote: [hr][/hr]
sneakerphile42 wrote: [hr][/hr] ^ it is what it is man. If you love sneakers and actually have a reason as to why you love them then you are classified. Just because you buy alot of shoes doesn't make you a head. I don't believe the individuality is taken out of the game. It may be watered down but, not taken out. No one is really more of a sneakerhead than anyone else. That's what makes us who we are. The fact that we don't have to compete is what makes it all worth while.
being a sneakerhead is like being a "PEZ head" or a "beanie baby head". how about just liking shoes. What happend to that? i disagree. I love shoes but i would never classify myself or let anyone else say im some mook "sneakerhead". It makes it childish and aids competition and all thats bad in this industry. I agree no one is more of a sneaker head than anyone else. I have a lot of shoes. I am no better than the guy with 1 pair. And if you think there isnt competition going on here and at actual sneaker summit/sneaker stroke/sneaker shows you need to realize thats what its become. The shoe has unfortunately made the person now. I still make my shoe. I hope the rest of you do. I dont need a shoe to make me. I wear the NBs i have on my blog banner and you have some limited quick-ultra-strike-1 of 1 pair and its all the same to me. Things are over valued. The term "sneakerhead" aids the stagnant , dull market. It enables the brands to put out absolute crap with cheap materials because "sneakerheads" will buy anything they are told to buy. "sneakerheads make themselves be something that they dont need to be. Why announce yourself and label yourself. Just like shos, wear em, save em, sell em, burn em.
Look whats for sael on ebay, look what everyone wants in their sig, look at what people wear at those sneaker stroke shows. Look at what people sell at those shows. Its like they stopped cloning animals and cloned people who like shoes. Same outfits, brands, and shoes.. I know im generalizing but really am I???
What does make u a head? because you like shoes? See right there you are already having a superior mindset over someon else who bys the saems tuff you do and like the saem stuff you do. So wht arent they a "head" vs. you who is? Not attacking. Just wondering. I like dialogue and communication. Nothing wrong with that. Its never personal. Its just shoes. We have made them larger than life. And im glad because im getting paid for the end result of the sneakerhead.



I feel where you are coming from with this. There are alot of carbon copys out there and the game is really not what it used to be or what it should be. I deem myself a sneakerhead just because of the love I have for certain aspects of this game. I look at it this way, if you buy sneakers just to look cool, don't know any history behind it, has no sentimental value to you, just to make a profit, or any combination of the aforementioned then you are not a head. I look at a sneakerhead as someone who is willing to camp out just to get a pair that they want and then WEAR THEM. As I'm sure you know, sneakerheads have been around forever they just didn't call themselves that. I go to the H-town sneaker summit twice a year and I see guys showing off their kicks and everyone showing their love for a respective brand or sneaker. Of course everyone will not think that way but, most people that I meet there do. I understand where you are coming from with that ebay comment. The hypebeasts of the world have shot our hobby mainstream and the companies notice. A sneaker is a sneaker to me but if it's a "quickstrike" that I have been waiting for, i.e. space jam 11, then I'm going to hop on them. Not because it's a "quickstrike' but, because that shoe has sentimental value to me. I hate the fact that someone will stand in line forever and a day just to pay retail price for a shoe like the Yeezy's and then try to flip them for 4, 5, 6, 700 dollars. That's crazy! In the end it's up to us to be able to look and realize what's worth our money and what's not. But as long as you have guys willing to break the bank for mediocre kicks, the game will never change. So in some aspects we have made them larger than life. But you aren't getting paid off of "sneakerheads", you are getting paid because the game is watered down and everyone is trying to keep up with everyone else. It's not a competition per se, it's more like these carbon copies trying to be accepted by doing and buying what they see from everyone else.

we are all shoe geeks . bottom line. I am bottom line. I can admit it. I will admit that i was always looked at as very strange for having suck anaffinity for shoes. People didnt understand it. Girls had that many pairs of shoes etc etc. I have to beg to differ with your use of the term "game".I always think of game as the "dope game" or something serious in nature,. Shoes are kinda an odd hobby, an awkward passion. Not just shoes on yourfeet. People did try to make it serious by being internet shoe killers and keyboard gangsters etc etc. I just dont like the term "sneakerhead" or"game" or "heat". But thats just me. And my opinion is only mine so it shouldnt affect any one elses passion expressions or outlook. But ialways waana know what makes someone a "sneakerhead" who likes shoes vs. someone else not a "sneakerheadhead" who also likes shoes. If youare camping out you need to get better connections. Kinda like being able to go digging in the back of stockrooms while others couldnt. And i personally dontcare if you wear shoes or not wear them. Its all the same to me and they arent my shoes so i dont care. But when its all showcased and packaged and judged itreminds me of going to a memorabilia show, a cabbage patch kid convention etc etc. Shoes are a niche thing. Just like PEZ, except we tend to hold ourselvesabove other people who collect odd stuff. I agree that its a follow the leader mentality today. I can tell by all the emails i get about everyone wanting thesame air maxes or certain shoes. Even though these people dont know each other and are individuals and are from various countries they all want the same stuff.I guess the best way i could put it is if i showed up at the H town summit in the beater new balances i have on the banner on my blog i probably wouldnt begreeted with open arms versus a kid who just bought his first pair of shoes a few months ago and has some air yeezys on. Its sad but true. That youngster is abetter "sneakerhead" than me. Thats why i just like shoes, am a shoe geek and sell my stuff because life has led me on a path where its what i needto do. And i am very fortunate i am a shoe geek because it has been a blessing years later. Bottom line, i have my opinion , you have yours, we all have ours.Hopefully yours is your own. I know mine is my own. Thats all that matters. You buy what you like and are honest because of why you bought it. I love GR stuff.But when i was buying i ceratinly loved to get the FLOMS also. They are tragicly ugly but because they were limited and i could get a pair or two then i boughtem. Simple as that. I just feel many on NT and in this shoe thing have a superiority complex when all they are dioing is following someone else. But thanks forsharing your thoughts and we certainly agree on a lot and differ on other stuff but who cares. We are both shoe geeks. So were all the same.
 
3,846
615
Joined Sep 27, 2003
Jordan XII black and red. My friend had these in 5th grade and I always wanted them. But the Rasheed Wallace Air Force 1 high was the one shoe I was determinedto get when I first got into shoes. It was like the third shoe I bought with my own money and I loved them. Even though the tongue is sky high on those
 
315
59
Joined Feb 11, 2008
Originally Posted by s dubl

OG Black Metallic 5s...I wanted them so bad, but my mom didn't want to drop the $$ on em...

now I prefer the white/fire reds over them, but the black metallics still hold a special place in my heart lol.

This is exactly my story too !!! I remember it like yesterday, only few people got the OG V's in France, as it wasn't distributed yet (it started withthe VI), only special import from rare shops ! They were dropping them for 1.200 Francs - 185$ which was a huge amount for a pair back in 90's. My parentsfinally decided not to buy them, and were scared that I got beat up in the street for those. It was the day of my Birthday and I was the saddest kid on earth !Therefore I finally got them in school for 100$ few weeks after
I just love the V's !!!
 
380
10
Joined Oct 23, 2009
I just remember rockin some jordan 11 when I was in grade school and refusing to play basketball because I didnt want to mess them up!!!
 
1,056
16
Joined Oct 20, 2009
Growing up in Queens it was ALWAYS about your sneakers!!! As a kid My first pair of jays were OG 4's white/red/black...I was hooked, and it wasn't justabout the kicks back then we actually got to watch jordan play in the same shoes we had on our feet. Every kid on my block wanted to be like MIke.
 
722
14
Joined Jan 8, 2009
When i was a kid i had the teal/black Griffey max 1's (the ones they didnt re-release this year :angry:) and OG playoff VIII's i remember going to searsto get aqua's and they didn't have them in my size so i had to get playoff's i was so mad haha.


heres a pic of me when i was young wearing them.
 
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now