What the hell is wrong with NASA........Earth saved by 13yo boy????

iiceman83

Banned
Tue Apr 15, 5:44 PM ET
BERLIN (AFP) - A 13-year-old German schoolboy corrected NASA's estimates on the chances of an asteroid colliding with Earth, a German newspaper reported Tuesday, after spotting theboffins had miscalculated.

[table][tr][td] [size=-2]T[/size]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
b

Nico Marquardt used telescopic findings from the Institute of Astrophysics in Potsdam (AIP) to calculate that there was a 1 in 450 chance that the Apophis asteroid will collide with Earth, thePotsdamer Neuerster Nachrichten reported.

NASA had previously estimated the chances at only 1 in 45,000 but told its sister organisation, the European Space Agency (ESA), that the youngwhizzkid had got it right.

The schoolboy took into consideration the risk of Apophis running into one or more of the 40,000 satellites orbiting Earth during its path close to theplanet on April 13 2029.

Those satellites travel at 3.07 kilometres a second (1.9 miles), at up to 35,880 kilometres above earth -- and the Apophis asteroid will pass by earth at adistance of 32,500 kilometres.

If the asteroid strikes a satellite in 2029, that will change its trajectory making it hit earth on its next orbit in 2036.

Both NASA and Marquardt agree that if the asteroid does collide with earth, it will create a ball of iron and iridium 320 metres (1049 feet) wide andweighing 200 billion tonnes, which will crash into the Atlantic Ocean.

The shockwaves from that would create huge tsunami waves, destroying both coastlines and inland areas, whilst creating a thick cloud of dust that woulddarken the skies indefinitely.

The 13-year old made his discovery as part of a regional science competition for which he submitted a project entitled: "Apophis -- The KillerAstroid."

Yes, the children really are our future!!!!!
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by IICEMAN83

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
b

Nico Marquardt used telescopic findings from the Institute of Astrophysics in Potsdam (AIP) to calculate that there was a 1 in 450 chance that the Apophis asteroid will collide with Earth, the Potsdamer Neuerster Nachrichten reported.

lol....ya'll guys arent taking this seriously....Taken from yahoo newshttp://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080415/sc_afp/spaceastronomygermany_080415214429.......we are all living in a comfort zone like nothing can happen, and areignorant to the possible demise of the Earth. 450 and 45,000 is a BIG difference.

Dammit, NASA better get to work, if this is right than they have 28 years to create some kind of counter-measure for the asteroid.

Originally Posted by NothingBefore

Who does this kid think he is bruce willis?

roll.gif

The shockwaves from that would create huge tsunami waves, destroying both coastlines and inland areas, whilst creating a thick cloud of dust that would darken the skies indefinitely.

eek.gif
#$*

we are all living in a comfort zone like nothing can happen, and are ignorant to the possible demise of the Earth. 450 and 45,000 is a BIG difference.

I'm sorry that we're not all living in fear waiting for the end of the world like you. I like to enjoy my life
laugh.gif

Wait. 1 in 450??? Those are terrible odds for us. Somebody better get to work hitting those satellites soon.

I think we are missing the big point of this article.

Both NASA and Marquardt agree that if the asteroid does collide with earth, it will create a ball of iron and iridium 320 metres (1049 feet) wide and weighing 200 billion tonnes, which will crash into the Atlantic Ocean.

The shockwaves from that would create huge tsunami waves, destroying both coastlines and inland areas, whilst creating a thick cloud of dust that would darken the skies indefinitely.

Boy genius figured out we are going to die sooner then we thought....thanks

1 in 450 huh.......

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII....................

I still say our chances are pretty good.

^^ Well better alot of us then just one or two, or a few of your loved ones. I dont know about you guys, but dying seems alot easier if the world is going tobe disintegrated and thats that.

Back
Top Bottom