When applying for a job Vol race

T Lo Sweater

formerly troyd
Do you guys answer that equal opportunity employment thing at the end?

I know it's against the law to discriminate against someone for a job because of their race or background

But i feel like even when i do check off black it may hurt me in terms of getting the job. I don't even answer the question anymore and haven't for like a year and a half

Thoughts?

If it is ordained for you to get the job, you will. The race box doesn't matter.

Check the box
Trust his guidance

Nothing more

It's easy to discriminate w/o making it about race though that's the main factor. I check it, if I'm supposed to get the gig, then I will, if not, I don't want to work for some narrow-minded chumps anyway

That's the way I feel too

Before i wouldnt check it because I felt like they could judge off the bat. That way I can get an interview and show them what I'm about

:lol: and my name doesn't. I can tell when people weren't expecting someone that looks like me when they first see me at the interview. :lol: They look around, looking for a white guy, then say my name, when I answer, they're taken aback and try to recover.

If any application in the US requires you to fill it out report them to the BBB.

I look at it on two fronts: It may be a deterrent for some companies and it may be incentives for others.

I've gotten a "We regret to inform you..blah blah....keep you in our system" email before and then a week later got contacted by "Diversity Staffing" about possible positions in the same company.

I wish it would have been for the job I applied for, but at least they try to look out for a brother :lol:

Last edited:
:lol: and my name doesn't. I can tell when people weren't expecting someone that looks like me when they first see me at the interview. :lol: They look around, looking for a white guy, then say my name, when I answer, they're taken aback and try to recover.

This. My name is real close to troy aikman. 3 letters off. Have def been on that situation before

Lucky you. I've never contacted by a Diversity Staffing type thing. 

I apply using my real name which is not some generic name, in hopes I would get in 

I've thought about using my middle name which is very, very plain and basic. I'm torn, but going 8 months of searching a change may be needed

I've thought about using my middle name which is very, very plain and basic. I'm torn, but going 8 months of searching a change may be needed

my buddy changed jermaine to jerry on his resume and got more responses and interviews. no lie

Last edited:

my buddy changed jermaine to jerry on his resume and got more responses and interviews. no lie

Oh, they've done studies to show that this was as real as ever but, you know, if you're qualified race doesn't matter

Do you guys answer that equal opportunity employment thing at the end?

I know it's against the law to discriminate against someone for a job because of their race or background

But i feel like even when i do check off black it may hurt me in terms of getting the job. I don't even answer the question anymore and haven't for like a year and a half

Thoughts?
you can check off as white if it bothers you that much

I have an Arabic name so Im labeled as a terrorist then when I walk into an interview they notice I'm African. Lose lose out here but I have a great job :pimp:

Last edited:
I have an Arabic name so Im labelled as a terrorist then when I walk into an interview they notice in African. Lose lose out here but I have a great job
pimp.gif
I am also African with an arabic name, but ive never been labeled as a terrorist. 

doesnt bother me at all tbh

my real name Alfred but you can call me Al..........................and my last name youd think i was Irish or some ish

my street cat comes out later on once i finesse you already

Last edited:
The only time that being a minority is helpful is when you are near the top of the org chart and the company wants to do an unofficial diversity hire and have a senior manager of color. This especially true if that firm had recently done something to screw over large numbers of POCs and got caught. They will want some nonwhite window dressing for a while.

Most of the time, however, being a minority is a liability. In corporate America, there are always more qualified people than there are decent jobs. The fact is that white bros like to work with other white bros. This affinity for working with clones of one's self is disguised by euphemistic phrases like "shared values," "company culture" and "team player."

If you are a POC, give them a very white sounding name on your resume. Not just a name like John or Frank but something really white like Campbell, Huntyre, Aiden, Stevenson, Asher or Jackson (as first names mind you). If you get hired and then they fire you without cause, you have a much stronger case for a discrimination lawsuit.

It is nearly impossible to launch a discrimination lawsuit if you do not get hired in the first place. When white corporate types see a minority name, they will not make the hire and they know that they are more or less shielded from discrimination claims because they could cite an almost infinite number of reason why they didn't want to hire you.

Lying about your name. Seems like cause for termination. How do you even make it past background check with a fake name? Are you just going to act like your alias is Crandall when really your real name is LeBron?

I'm sure my current employer would fire me if they found out I was lying about that.

I always fill out that questionnaire and I have a name commonly given to POC

Last edited:
Either change your name legally or you can disguise your first name as a first initial and use your "middle name" as your more commonly used first name. For instance LeBron Johnson becomes L. Crandell Johnson.

Back
Top Bottom