Where Y'all Hoop at?

I need to find some new places to ball at (preferably for free or cheap, and indoors of course during this time of the year) in the Northern VA area. The one I go to (Worldgate Sports & Health) is pretty boring - the runs are not that great and membership is expensive. I miss VCU and its Cary St. gym. :\

I wanna find a cheap place for the winter too, I'm set for the warmer months though- my work has a full court outside and the high school around the corner from my house has a couple nice outdoor courts.

Where in NOVA you looking? I googled that place you mentioned and Looked like Herndon. My co worker plays around Ashburn but I think it's included in a homeowners assoc but I'm not 100%. I'll ask him tomorrow.

^ I stay around the Tyson's Corner/Vienna area.

I want to hit up XSport and Lifetime since they have decent runs, but they're a little far away.
I've heard Nottaway Park is pretty good for outdoors, so I'll definitely hit it up in the summer.

Last edited:
Whats good on Xsport? Is it worth the membership just to play ball or is there some where else to ball inside for the winter?

I live in Vienna but will commute for good runs.

My coworkers hoop at sportsplex in sterling.  Or if thats crowded they go to the golds gym in herndon.    Sportsplex cost about $75 to rent a spot for 5 hrs if you have a group its cool.  Or gold gym pay $10 a person.

Whats good on Xsport? Is it worth the membership just to play ball or is there some where else to ball inside for the winter?

I live in Vienna but will commute for good runs.

Just became a member of the Xsport in Fairfax. The ball court is super small and the floor is really slippery if your shoes don't have good traction. But for $33.50/month (with student discount), it's worth it.

Last edited:
i used to run cary st for that first year after it reopened...still go down once every 3ish months to let everyone know i run that place.

Just became a member of the Xsport in Fairfax. The ball court is super small and the floor is really slippery if your shoes don't have good traction. But for $33.50/month (with student discount), it's worth it.
too small but i can't complain. i miss playing at lifetime but i don't miss the wait and team stacking.

I play at sports club la in DC. There aren't many indoor courts in the city. I used to be part of a group that rented out Sidwell Friends on Tuesdays. That is a nice gym to ball in. 2 full size bball courts.

Before I moved, I hooped at Old Bowie (Outside) when the weather is right. Around this time of the year South Bowie Rec is nice. Open Gym on Tuesday and Friday nights from 7:30pm to 10:30pm I believe.

Washington Bible College in Lanham is free...open from 10am-9pm mon-fri come thru if you tryna ball...i ball almost everyday at 7pm

Sport and Health in Tysons is soft though. I play too aggressive/competitive for the runs up there. Folks from around those parts are too "friendly."
Dude at my gym, sports club la in DC, got a cut under his eye from a guy on his team playing aggressive D in the lane. No thanks man it's for fun. We got some guys that don't know how to ball, if you can't go a play without fouling you have no business playing. Some dudes don't realize you can steal the ball or block a shot without hitting a guys arms/hands. My 2 cents.

Dude at my gym, sports club la in DC, got a cut under his eye from a guy on his team playing aggressive D in the lane. No thanks man it's for fun. We got some guys that don't know how to ball, if you can't go a play without fouling you have no business playing. Some dudes don't realize you can steal the ball or block a shot without hitting a guys arms/hands. My 2 cents.

Playing aggressive and competitively has nothing to do with hacking/fouling and intentionally hurting folks. I play hard and play to win....but above that play with sportsmanship. I like competition at the highest level. Whether that was scrimmaging against the team down at ODU or VCU or playing with the Marines in the Quantico work league. I like to play with people who know the beauty of the game of basketball and that is not pounding the air out the ball or emulating Kobe/Durant/Lebron.

Basketball is a simple game and when played correctly....it is a lot of fun. Folks fundamentals are sorely lacking.

End rant.

Sport and Health in Tysons is soft though. I play too aggressive/competitive for the runs up there. Folks from around those parts are too "friendly."

Ehhh lol....Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not the highest level of competition, but there are some really good runs on Mondays/Wednesdays.

Ehhh lol....Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not the highest level of competition, but there are some really good runs on Mondays/Wednesdays.

That's cool, maybe I'll come by and check it out again after work on one of those days.

Have you been having issues with your membership? I used to have access to all of the locations (I lived in Fredericksburg/Woodbridge and worked in Vienna/Crystal City) so it was convenient to be able to use four different locations. Now every time I go to a different one they say I need to switch it up.

That's cool, maybe I'll come by and check it out again after work on one of those days.

Have you been having issues with your membership? I used to have access to all of the locations (I lived in Fredericksburg/Woodbridge and worked in Vienna/Crystal City) so it was convenient to be able to use four different locations. Now every time I go to a different one they say I need to switch it up.

Nope, no issues here. They better let me in at any location, seeing as how i'm paying around $120 a month :smh: :smh: :smh:

Nope, no issues here. They better let me in at any location, seeing as how i'm paying around $120 a month :smh: :smh: :smh:

Damn, $120 a month? I hope that's a family plan with the kids club or something. Ever since they started building some new locations (Potomac Town Center in Woodbridge), they started switching it up.

They need to be 24 hours too....or at least close at 2 am or something.

I was on a GSA work plan which was cool, then a family plan with my girl and child for $85 or so, and now I have my own from work for about $45 a month.

I used to pay $45 for just me at only the Ballston Sport & Health but originally paid $55 for me and my ex. Never had the opportunity to go to any of the other gyms but the sales staff definitely has quotas and commission because they'll work with you to get the rate down.

You can find me at Sport and Health Tysons...Mon-Thur....I run the court during the afternoons.

there a bball court there? I live by mcclean and wanted to sign up to the one their but when I talked to the rep they told me no court. I go to the Worldgate one out in Herndon. I'm there early at 5am.

there a bball court there? I live by mcclean and wanted to sign up to the one their but when I talked to the rep they told me no court. I go to the Worldgate one out in Herndon. I'm there early at 5am.

There are 2 in Mclean, Regency, which has no court, and then Tysons, which has 2 courts. There are morning, lunch and evening runs almost everyday.

Back
Top Bottom