Which rappers didn't live up to their hype? Vol. Rap game Thabeet

jin tha mc, joe budden, sigel, mase (dude could have been jay-z), canibus, jay electronica is starting to look funny...

Last edited:
Canibus. A lot of people have no idea how much hype was around him
this should be named the canibus thread. everybody swore canibus was the second coming for real. he had more hype than anyone who will be named in here.

^ this was the joint that set it off for him. he had clue tapes (the pulse of the culture at the time) on SMASH.

speaking of bus, wyclef was super gassed at that time too. people thought he was this super musically inclined, worldly, cultured genius because no one knew who was responsible for what in the fugees. when lauryn dropped her solo and canibus bricked (his fans blamed it on clef), it was curtains for him.
mean.gif

Last edited:
Lloyd Banks could of really been on the level of elite lyricists like Jay, Nas, Rakim, it's sad how he's nowhere near their level :smh:

Couldnt tell me jae millz wasn't gonna take the game over after my swag. Honestly it still baffles me how u not blow after a track like that. No video, no airplay smh

so much potential, i could of sworn he could of took Jay's place if he would of retired in 2003

Oh Ma$e definitely belongs in here. HE should be unanimously regarded as the best Harlem rapper ever and he threw it all away
mean.gif

Canibus-Back when I was in 7th grade I thought he was the next big thing in like 97' I was super hyped when the LOST BOYS-BEAST FROM THE EAST dropped brought his 1st album then never heard from him again..smfh

FABOLOUS-AFTER "REAL TALK" I gave up on him but LOSO'S WAY was heat I loved that album "I MISS MY LOVE" is one of the best stories told on wax IMO..He regained my hope but recently he been just piggy backing south rappers

Cory Gunnz-Dudes was hyping this dude up so much his career never will take off...

Freddie Gibbs-I thought he was gonna be a little successful if he would have stayed indie but after signing with CTE it was all down hill from there & after he left or got dropped his twitter rants & cursing out his fans on twitter really didn't help..

Lloyd Banks-Had high hopes for BANKS but if he only could let "THE BIG WITHDRAW" be his second album..smfh Then he makes it a mixtape gets on radio & says he was having a 3 some chicks & one of them must have stole it & leaked it..

Jadakiss-I Love Jada though but he could have & should have took over a long time ago

Freeway-Free my dawg after the "MONTH OF MADNESS" mixtape i hoped he would spark up again but he can't seem to pick back up after he left the ROC..

Jada is a good one too

I couldn't really rock with any of his solo albums

:smh: @ his biggest single being "Why?"

And he got the audacity to name his next album Top 5 Dead or Alive :rofl: :rofl:

Cory gunz I didn't really see doing much from the jump :lol:

I think Joell Ortiz deserve a mention in here tho

He had a lot of buzz around 04-05 got his song on NBA Live, Source Unsigned Hype etc. dropped The Brick which was cool had a few loosies here and there that ended up being the majority of the Road Kill mixtape and then I basically stopped checking for him :lol:

Really? He is NICE and not sure what hype he had, but he got some heat. Check out his latest tape S.O.U.L Tape 2, got some bangers on there. Patiently waits for Loso's Way 2. :nerd:

View media item 583694

Fab had major hype when breath came out. When that thing dropped it was blazing the streets and radio like crazy. People were talking like he was the next KONY and possibly hip hop. It was his time but he couldn't deliver. I'm also curious about this album. I hope it's good. It's like he cant make a great studio album. They'll be ok and listenable but not great. If he could make his albums the way he makes his mixtape he would of been in a different conversation a long time ago.

As far as popularity and overall song quality he is at Usher levels. Well unrtil Chapter V happened anyway, that was pretty bad IMO, but he's the current generation Usher. The only thing he doesn't have is the international appeal. If I picked anyone in R&B that didn't live up to the hype it would be Bobby Valentino.

Juelz, Papoose and Bleek are the biggest draft busts rap has ever seen. B.o.B. is about to make a major decline soon too, he's looking like the next Flo Rida unless he somehow convinces me otherwise with a strong mixtape showing.

On what planet is this ever a bad thing? Got me over here scratchin' my head :lol:

How about Diggy Simmons, I know a few of you little lames were checking for him

Freddie Gibbs-I thought he was gonna be a little successful if he would have stayed indie but after signing with CTE it was all down hill from there & after he left or got dropped his twitter rants & cursing out his fans on twitter really didn't help..

wait what? hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom