Which rappers didn't live up to their hype? Vol. Rap game Thabeet

I always preferred Big Boi to Andre.

Big Boi's amazing too

He has some verses that i just wanna run back over and over and over.

my point was how can you say Andre didn't live up to his hype?

the FANS created the hype by treating him like a solo artist.

He's in Outkast which went diamond and platinum and won AOTY and now he just does features, what didn't he live up to?

His solo rap hype dropping 3 seashells by the seashore verse every year for like 5 years now

Damn it'lI be 10 years tomorrow since Speakerboxxx/The Love Below released

Last edited:
Juelz and Lloyd Banks are the first 2 that come to mind.

I'd probably blame poor work ethic on both of them not being a good as they should've been. I'm pretty sure industry politics hold dudes back to an extent but alot of rappers are lazy and that's a recipe for disaster in a genre where you can be hot in 2003 and seen as the next big thing and forgotten about by 2005.

Yea JUELZ is a bust without a doubt man like this dude had so much potential & hype around him he should be on his 6th studio album right now...I think too much of hanging with WAYNE he jus got lazy

Shyne

The strength of his first album could kill some rappers entire catalog..I still held on hope until he decided to be a rabi

Yea JUELZ is a bust without a doubt man like this dude had so much potential & hype around him he should be on his 6th studio album right now...I think too much of hanging with WAYNE he jus got lazy
This makes no sense, Wayne is without a doubt one of the hardest workers in the rap industry..Find another excuse...

If you guys heard the album preview of "My Name Is My Name" you will soon realize whatever little momentum dude had is dead. There is a reason why there are so many features on his 12 track project. He's a complimentary rapper to simply put it. Yeah, lyricially he outshines Malice on tracks but that doesn't make him a solid #1.

I gotta admit I like Pusha a lot more in Features or with guest appearances than I do on the solo tip. I am worried that a sol album with just him won't live up to the hype...

My Nominees

Bubba Sparks (dude was supposed to be the next eminem)
Yellawolf (Another case of "Supposed to be the next Eminem")
Jadakiss- I loved Kiss as a kid but I can only handle him in waves now dude def doesn't deserve that "top 5 dead or alive" spot he brags about
Juelz- Been discussed a million times so yall already know
Lloyd Banks- See above
Crime Mob- Not to say they were overly hyped but Knuck if you Buck was huge I am shocked they didn't even get a follow up album
Joe Budden- Thought dude was gonna be the truth and listened to him all the way up to MM3 dude just will never be that guy
B.G. and Turk- Both killed OG cash money albums. You wouldn't have been able to tell me they wouldn't have had a career equaling Wayne back in 99
Twista- I might just be throwing this out there
NORE- I just never checked for dude but I did remember soe hype

LAST but not least

MIKE POSNER- Man I remember when UKNOWBIGSEAN came out half of the NT thread about it was derailed cuz dudes couldn't stop talking bout how ill Posner's tape was. Now look who's on top.

MC Eiht, thought he was going to blow up after Menace

Xzibit, should have been bigger with Dre and Pimp My Ride

Royce & Obie Trice...Em never really rubbed off on them.

Shyne

The strength of his first album could kill some rappers entire catalog..I still held on hope until he decided to be a rabi

No need for Shyne anymore

You can thank DJ Quik for driving a stake into MC Eiht

And thankfully, Royce rubbed off on him on that Bad Meets Evil album.

If you guys heard the album preview of "My Name Is My Name" you will soon realize whatever little momentum dude had is dead. There is a reason why there are so many features on his 12 track project. He's a complimentary rapper to simply put it. Yeah, lyricially he outshines Malice on tracks but that doesn't make him a solid #1.

I gotta admit I like Pusha a lot more in Features or with guest appearances than I do on the solo tip. I am worried that a sol album with just him won't live up to the hype...

My Nominees

Crime Mob- Not to say they were overly hyped but Knuck if you Buck was huge I am shocked they didn't even get a follow up album

They did in 07. Forgot the singles, but "Circles" and "Go To War" with Pimp C were some dope *** songs

HOMCM.jpg

Last edited:
The single off that was Rock Yo Hips w/ Scrappy and yeah it was mostly weak besides Go to War and a few others

Xzibit is a pretty good mention Restless was straight :pimp:. Man vs Machine was aight after that he left Dre who basically created "his" sound :smh:

Anyone mention 50 Cent?

GRODT was such a epic classic masterpiece of music then he kind of softened up.

I mean if you made 40 mil over Vitamin Water I'd give no dambs either

Does DJ Quik count? For an artist whose catalog has lasted for over twenty years and only drops good to great albums he never blew like he probably could have.

I wouldn't say MC Eiht blew up after Menace but he got his first gold album with we come strapped. But yeah DJ Quik did rape him
mean.gif

Did Sauce Money have any type of hype? I actually liked him on Bring It On off RD. He fell off earth after Vol. 2.

Did Sauce Money have any type of hype? I actually liked him on Bring It On off RD. He fell off earth after Vol. 2.

There was a little hype behind him. Everyone thought he was signed to the Roc and would be next up but we were wrong on both accounts.

Does DJ Quik count? For an artist whose catalog has lasted for over twenty years and only drops good to great albums he never blew like he probably could have.

Are you serious? You must not realize Quik was going platinum his first three albums. I was buying all of Quik and he was one of my favorite rappers.

His problem was he got with Death Row when they were dissolving(Tupac getting killed, Dre and Snoop leaving and The Dogg Pound playing musical chairs). Plus "gangsta" rap had sort of run it's course when people realized you could really die.

That first Quik joint was classic to me, and the clarity, use of instruments and production on Way 2 Fonky was dope.

I stuck with him for Rhythm-al-ism, and then with Balance & Options, but Under The Influence :smh:

I wouldn't say MC Eiht blew up after Menace but he got his first gold album with we come strapped. But yeah DJ Quik did rape him:smh:

Dollarz & Sense is one of the best, and most slept on diss songs. :smh: Both of them had some pretty good diss songs back and forth, but that was the knockout punch.

Dude had dope songs on Boyz N Da Hood and Menace. He had one of the best and most distinctive voices and flows.

I even loved him as A Wax and thought he was going to be the next Ice T/Cube in movies.

Thought Spice 1 was going to blow up too. My boy had his first tape, and I recorded it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom