Why are Jordan XVII (17) $400 and up? what so special let me know.

I caught an VNDS pair of the White/Red with the case a couple of years back on eBay for $50. shipped.

I was never really a fan, but for the price I couldn't pass on 'em. Once I put them on it was a wrap!

1. The mids with the briefcase and cd rom
Retailed at 200 usd
2 they were worn by MJ in the 2001/2002
season.

That is reason enough for their current
Market price.

They came out in '02 in a $200 standard box price.

The briefcase made them very expensive that comes with a CD.

You don't see those anymore and if you do,prepare to pay at least $400-500 that comes with everything.

Last edited:
Still have my white red size 13.5 looking fresh! Great shoe! They have not retroed as of yet. (The CDP doesn't count in my opinion) I was thinking about trading them about a few months ago for a pair of carmines.....but I think the carmines will retro before these so I didn't pull the trigger. Plus I've seen Carmines for about 300-$350 and I know these resell for much more.

CDPs are a dime a dozen... I wouldnt pay over $150 for them with that crappy suede.
co-sign, I sold a pair of those for $200 and at the time I was shocked as hell someone would even pay that much for.

I paid $260 for ds varsity reds 2 years ago when an appreciation thread had came up. One of those sneakers I couldn't get in HS that I wanted badly.

It's all about patience. Sometimes you can find a pair around 300 but like everybody says these shoes came out 10 years ago and not that many are deadstock and the ones who were smart enough to save a pair and trying to make a quick buck can pretty much charge whatever they want. I was fortunate enough to find a pair of Lightning 17s for a lil bit over retail 2 years ago on eBay.

1. The mids with the briefcase and cd rom
Retailed at 200 usd
2 they were worn by MJ in the 2001/2002
season.
That is reason enough for their current
Market price.

Well said and you missed one more point:

3. The overall construction quality is phenomenal. Buttery soft leather uppers and plush sock-liners.

Some 'collectors' are willing to drop 200+ on some trash retro but find it tough to drop coin on an OG sneaker that came out a decade ago.

Furthermore it's a given that any retro of the XVIIs will be stripped of the it's full grail leather materials and replaced with some cardboard stiff 'pleather' or 'ashy larry' suede.

CDPs are a dime a dozen... I wouldnt pay over $150 for them with that crappy suede.
OGs on the other hand are very hard to find because very few people kept them DS or even NDS. This was a true basketballers shoe and ballers straight gobbled them up and spit them out. I know tons of people that still have their suitcase, but it seems like most of the actual shoes got trashed on the court.

This.

They weren't "hot" at the time. Regardless of what others may say, I maintain that they "flopped" on release. They were seen as very plain. People thought the packaging was a gimmick. And, they couldn't understand the reason for the price tag.

So, people wound up using them for their intended purpose. Some sold at first. And, then when prices dropped, more people bought them and used them to ball.

There's a lot of revisionist history among "Jordanheads" - shoes that people love that were considered wretched at the time. Laney Vs, Mocha IIIs, etc. The whole XVII model is a shoe that didn't gain popularity in their time. Their resurgence in popularity comes partly from people wanting what they can't have and partly from the fact the new generation of "Jordanheads" view these as the shoes of their youth.

It never ceases to cause me to take a step back when somebody posts, "these were my first Js in third grade" regarding a pair that I wore in grad school or something. I guess it's just a testament to the brand's longevity.

Last edited:
You are very right about this.  I was able to find these in the outlet in Orlando for $100 in the white and blue back when they came out. They sold out shortly thereafter.  However, balling in these shoes, (which is what I ultimately buy all my J's for) is a dream.  Right off the bat, they are comfortable, which is great.  But these J's might get my vote for best J's ever.  Why?  I have been balling hard in these shoe since I bought them, and though the sole is worn, they still have good grip.  The uppers are just as worn, but because the construction was so solid, instead of breaking down, they have just molded to my feet.  Back in the day, (my first J's were OG IV's), Jordans were considered the best in regards to technology and quality, and in my opinion, the XVII's fit that bill perfectly.  I still have my suitcase and CD.  I even have the towel, all in mint condition. But most impressively, even though I basically use these shoes as beaters because I have worn them so much and I have so many newer pairs of other J's, I could pull out these shoes and ball in them on any surface - inside or outside - and not have to worry about grip or stability. 

So just because you had a pair that means they aren't rare? Hell, I have the first two original colorways and the carolina blue/ black/crockskin lows in storage.
The shoes are still rare.
And the XVII's did not flop. They dropped for $200 retail and still sold out.
And its pretty easy to figure why the XVII is so expensive...
You compare the prices to XI and VI prices, but you forget that the XI's have been *****d out by "retro's"
The XVII has never been retro'd before. They came with that crazy packaging as well.

when a retail price of a shoe goes for $200.00 and the price drops to $100.00 less then 2 months after release then that's what i could call a flop
same like this years marquee jordan 2012 shoe
another flop
back in 2001 sales where terrible
the first colorway was the only one that sold well

it happened with the jordan 17's

in fact back in 2001 2002 footlocker and nike had some friction and nike stopped sending there better shoes to fotlocker about that time because the price of the jordan 17 was too high and footlocker discounted the shoe too quickly

Also the 17's where retroed back in 2008 with the 6/17 CDP

BTW i have all the jordan 17's colorways not counting the lowtop carolina blue/ black/crockskin that i sold a few years back

me i like the 17's especially the 17 +

I remember back in the bronx these sold well.. My whole middle school was rockin the 17s .. I had the black high tops and the low top UNC joints

These are pretty rare. I remember cats rock in these hard in 8th grade, putting their books in the suitcase lol, and hoarding sneakers to resell wasn't poppin back then. I wish I could find a pair for a decent price now but the MKT is outta control.

only doubles I own

thought they were wack back then. loved the low tops though. RIP to my carolinas.

First damned shoes to hit for $200 but came with accessories. Now you get hit over the head for $200+ for just shoes.

white/college blue 17's colorway = best ones next to the lightnings imo :pimp:

glad i got mines 11 years ago for $120 at champs sports online :pimp:

I wore mine up until about 2 years ago. They were my beaters for years. The sole was coming off when I threw them away. I still have the cd and Jordan case though. I loved those shoes.

There's nothing special bout the 17's IMO. The pair that I had gave my feet the blues. They were so uncomfortable.

I had the black and silver pair the suitecase is was sold me lol......id take em in the case to school and bust em out for gym class......felt so good to unsnap the clasp and reveal the shoes lmao! Lifes simple pleasues :D

I always considered these top 5 in the jordan line performance wise. still got 2 pairs DS, and 1 pair of the lows DS.

It's all about patience. Sometimes you can find a pair around 300 but like everybody says these shoes came out 10 years ago and not that many are deadstock and the ones who were smart enough to save a pair and trying to make a quick buck can pretty much charge whatever they want. I was fortunate enough to find a pair of Lightning 17s for a lil bit over retail 2 years ago on eBay.
Ya I got a steal with a pair of lightning XVII earlier this year for 150 shipped, worn once and couldnt even tell. There are deals out there, you just have to be patient and catch peeps sleepin on some auctions

I have 3 pair, that I didn't spend 200 total for in great condition. Patience is key. For example I had been wanting some Bordeaux 7's for a while but the prices were 220.00 plus everywhere, I just fell back and copped some other stuff until I found "my pair." 150 shipped DS.

OGs on the other hand are very hard to find because very few people kept them DS or even NDS. This was a true basketballers shoe and ballers straight gobbled them up and spit them out. I know tons of people that still have their suitcase, but it seems like most of the actual shoes got trashed on the court.

this. i finally opened the cd rom a few yrs ago, guess ill have to check it out again b/c i cant remember what was on it...

Back
Top Bottom