Why did I not know about the Black Wall Street massacre until two days ago?

When i was watchin that chick on Arsenio...

Im black.

Im college educated.

I know a fair amount about history in general in comparison to my peers (i think anyway).

My grandpops was one of those Farakhan types ideaologicaly (he died the day i turned 19 rip)

Ive been thinking about it since yesterday.... like black history month is a joke b. Litterally one of the most humiliating things to me personally in my life. Litterally. Here ****** take this month... so long as we dont have to remember or acknowledge what we did to you. In that month well all talk about Rosa Parks and Dr King and Harriet Tubman and claim you victorius as equals ( because you bastards wont die.) Jokes b.

Its a got damn shame what our people have endured.

We are still over comers though. Shout to my colored Nters period. Brown. Red. Whatever. Yall dont even have months.

Or should i have known more about this? Somebody school me on more teens thru the thirties black history i need to know about

realtalk the only way i found out about it was because the game had his whole black wall street crew and i researched it and was like damn thats amazing.

im not black but i feel like i was deprived of black history in the school system

Why didnt you post anything about the Black Wallstreet Massacre? I didnt know about it either.

They don't teach this in grade school. Blacks prospering financially and it being destroyed by whites doesnt fit the narrative

We're just a submissive bunch who March for equality. :smh: no other race responds so softly to supremacy as black people.

Last edited:

This song is about BWS in Oklahoma

The Gap Band were originally known as the Greenwood, Archer and Pine Street Band in 1967, in their hometown of Tulsa, Oklahoma

The Wilson brothers' hometown of Tulsa is also the site of the worst race riot in United States history, which happened May 31, 1921. The riot had its flashpoint at the Drexel Building at 319 South Main Street, when a young white girl claimed that a young black man had assaulted her in the elevator. Previous to this time, because it was one of the wealthiest black communities in America, it was known as "the black Wall Street."

This wont be taught in school, doesn't make sense to the system to uplift blacks. They also wont teach you that the richest man to ever live was African.

Young black man not be taught history is a truthful manner?

Not being shown history that empowers him... Instead of reducing his starting point in life to the moment he stepped off the boat?

That means its working, bruh.

I didn't learn about it in HS but I learned about it in college.

There's a lot of stuff they don't teach you in school. You have to go out and learn it yourself sometimes.

shrug.

Last edited:
My mom told me about it when I was younger.
PBS has aired a documentary about it before as well.
Yall should put this in the black culture thread and let's focus on what the people of those communities were able to do to obtain their wealth and financial independence.

There's a lot of stuff they don't teach you in school. You have to go out and learn it yourself sometimes.

shrug.
Yup eyes got opened when i needed to fullfil a history credit my first year

Registered kinda late so i just threw myself in what i thought was some random class i didnt eem care bout 

Ended taking an African history class. One of the best mistakes ever

Unless you in AP HS History, Or college, you only gon learn bout MLK, and Harriet

Hell they wont even really teach about Malcolm cause its way to raw

I learned about malcolm independently. Obv read Haleys biography on him and then read abuncha progressive stuff after but neverrr had i heard of this. Ever.

Sad.

What else dont i know? Ya know?

I learned about malcolm independently. Obv read Haleys biography on him and then read abuncha progressive stuff after but neverrr had i heard of this. Ever.

Sad.

What else dont i know? Ya know?
Watch Hidden colors b.

I recall there was a terrorist attack on a city of predominantly black citizens (or it was black people, can't remember) in the US...I believe it happened around the start of the 20th century, maybe 1910's or 1920's...can anyone help me remember this?

Edit: I just got my question answered soon as I posted it. Thanks KingdomFlatbush KingdomFlatbush

Last edited:
I think Black Wall street is covered in pt 3 or 4 of the pbs documentary series "The African Americans"  it's a really good watch if you guys haven't seen it all the parts are on youtube

Last edited:

shrug.
stop it.....white kids don't have to go out and learn all about white people outside of school....they're not hiding history from them.

I was fortunate enough to have a black history teacher in middle school who gave me extra assignments outside of the curriculum he was forced to follow ...

black history in public schools = slavery, Lincoln freed slaves, civil rights, and how MLK was the sole reason blacks started getting rights 

they might sprinkle the usual inventions they like to teach and take a week for kids to watch roots 

I'm Asian. The history of Asians was barely touched in high school. Less than African American history. I didn't get mad tho.

First classes I signed up for in college were Asian American history and African American history.

Last edited:

stop it.....white kids don't have to go out and learn all about white people outside of school....they're not hiding history from them.

I was fortunate enough to have a black history teacher in middle school who gave me extra assignments outside of the curriculum he was forced to follow ...

black history in public schools = slavery, Lincoln freed slaves, civil rights, and how MLK was the sole reason blacks started getting rights 

they might sprinkle the usual inventions they like to teach and take a week for kids to watch roots 
"like f math science and government, learn bout this peanut butter , its delicious"
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I'm Asian. The history of Asians was barely touched in high school. Less than African American history. I didn't get mad tho or complain about why they weren't being taught.

First classes I signed up for in college were Asian American history and African American history.
The only AA hist taught to me was Civil rights ish. And the only reason thats halfway taught is because its "American"

I didnt learn ish about African History, unless we talikin bout apartheid

I learn an Ok amount about asian history in Global Studies, but you're right they never go deep and its told from an American POV so it may be skewed 

[thread="618980"]Quote:[/thread]

"like f math science and government, learn bout this peanut butter , its delicious":lol:  

During World War I, Carver was asked to assist Henry Ford in producing a peanut-based replacement for rubber. Also during the war, when dyes from Europe became difficult to obtain, he helped the American textile industry by developing more than 30 colors of dye from Alabama soils.

You would think they would mention this in history classes but nope, he was just the peanut guy :smh:

Back
Top Bottom