Why does it seem like there is more Nat'l pride with US Soccer than US Basketball?

My dude INY brought up this interesting point on Twitter, so I'm gonna bring it over here to S&T. 

From my eyes, it seems like there was more excitement following the US win today than there was when the "Redeem" Team beat Spain for the Gold Medal 2 years ago.  Do you think there is any truth to this?  I certainly do....

My dude INY brought up this interesting point on Twitter, so I'm gonna bring it over here to S&T. 

From my eyes, it seems like there was more excitement following the US win today than there was when the "Redeem" Team beat Spain for the Gold Medal 2 years ago.  Do you think there is any truth to this?  I certainly do....

Cause Soccer is the world sport while we dominate in basketball...even if we lose in those FIBA tournaments, everyone knows America is the best at basketball.  And plus there isn't a tournament for basketball like the World Cup that draws this much interest.

Cause Soccer is the world sport while we dominate in basketball...even if we lose in those FIBA tournaments, everyone knows America is the best at basketball.  And plus there isn't a tournament for basketball like the World Cup that draws this much interest.

you're right, but because, DJs...basketball sucks
laugh.gif

nah i think it's because the world cup itself is just a bigger stage. people drop everything to watch games. they watch games where their country isn't even playing. it captivates more of the world than a single olympic sport.

you're right, but because, DJs...basketball sucks
laugh.gif

nah i think it's because the world cup itself is just a bigger stage. people drop everything to watch games. they watch games where their country isn't even playing. it captivates more of the world than a single olympic sport.

I think it only seems like it because the World Cup has it's own stage, whereas the Redeem Team had to share the spotlight with Phelps and all the other American athletes and storylines. Especially since the Finals and Stanley Cup are both finished, there's no other sports, besides June baseball and the NBA Draft, to really steal the spotlight away.

I also think, despite not winning the Gold in 2004, nearly everyone expected USA Basketball to win and anything else was a disappointment. So add the underdog factor, alongside it's the biggest stage for a single sport, and that's why the fervor for soccer seems higher.

I think it only seems like it because the World Cup has it's own stage, whereas the Redeem Team had to share the spotlight with Phelps and all the other American athletes and storylines. Especially since the Finals and Stanley Cup are both finished, there's no other sports, besides June baseball and the NBA Draft, to really steal the spotlight away.

I also think, despite not winning the Gold in 2004, nearly everyone expected USA Basketball to win and anything else was a disappointment. So add the underdog factor, alongside it's the biggest stage for a single sport, and that's why the fervor for soccer seems higher.

i think there's definitely some truth behind this....

i think its because in basketball we're ALWAYS the favorite to win it all, but in soccer we're the underdogs. AND most people get happy when the underdog wins.

i think its because in basketball we're ALWAYS the favorite to win it all, but in soccer we're the underdogs. AND most people get happy when the underdog wins.

Originally Posted by LakersNation

This.

Plus the World Cup is just way more exciting an event.

Originally Posted by LakersNation

This.

Plus the World Cup is just way more exciting an event.

U.S. are expected to dominate in basketball so it's not a big deal or a surprise when they win.

U.S. are still minnows in soccer (compared to the elite teams) so it's a big deal when they perform well. I think given at how well the MLS is developing, the U.S. will eventually become an elite team in this sport.

U.S. are expected to dominate in basketball so it's not a big deal or a surprise when they win.

U.S. are still minnows in soccer (compared to the elite teams) so it's a big deal when they perform well. I think given at how well the MLS is developing, the U.S. will eventually become an elite team in this sport.

US is lucky they just made it to the second round.
laugh.gif
They better be prepare to get demolish in the round of 16 though

US is lucky they just made it to the second round.
laugh.gif
They better be prepare to get demolish in the round of 16 though

overall yes, because like most said the USA bball team should win
it seems like there was more excitement following the US win today than there was when the "Redeem" Team beat Spain for the Gold Medal 2 years ago
but this part i dont agree with, everyone was staying up late and going down right crazy for that game and was the lead story everywhere

overall yes, because like most said the USA bball team should win
it seems like there was more excitement following the US win today than there was when the "Redeem" Team beat Spain for the Gold Medal 2 years ago
but this part i dont agree with, everyone was staying up late and going down right crazy for that game and was the lead story everywhere

We're too good at basketball for it to be this much fun. I'm not a big soccer guy, but I don't think there is any comparatively dominant nation in soccer.

Back
Top Bottom